Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Samsung Plasma PN51D550C1FXZC relay clicks no power up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Samsung Plasma PN51D550C1FXZC relay clicks no power up Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I found one of these locally. Stopped working a year ago according to the owner.
Plug in power and you get a click, cycle, click, cycle, click....nada, while this is happening the Logic board's green light flashes, pauses, flashes. then the red light on the front flashes 2+2+2+2+2....then repeats. So 10 flashes.

If I unplug the Logic board the power supply relay only clicks once then stops. No cycling.

No obvious signs of bad capacitors.

Thoughts?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you have to decide when working on a plasma is in what order you want to start changing boards in until it starts working. And, hope that you don't get to the end and it still does not work.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Shocked

How's LCD for servicing as compared to Plasma?

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Really? Shocked

LCDs can sometimes actually make it to my bench. Plasma's are not even allowed in the door. I do very little tv repair anymore. Not worth the time or effort. But at least LCDs don't burn out 3 or 4 or 5 boards at a times and if you miss one during replacement burn out the ones you just put in. LCD is usually limited to just 1 board and that board is usually able to troubleshoot.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Really? Shocked

LCDs can sometimes actually make it to my bench. Plasma's are not even allowed in the door. I do very little tv repair anymore. Not worth the time or effort. But at least LCDs don't burn out 3 or 4 or 5 boards at a times and if you miss one during replacement burn out the ones you just put in. LCD is usually limited to just 1 board and that board is usually able to troubleshoot.

So buy new and get the extended warranty then.

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
Really? Shocked

So buy new and get the extended warranty then.

If you want plasma, yeah. Buy the extended warranty but make sure it has the replacement clause if not repairable throughout the term of the policy.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fixed my Cousins Hitachi 50 inch plasma. 6 bad caps on the PS.

It works now but has the sparkles because i have not adjusted the voltages yet.

Will do but I am afraid because as mac knows I have had a bitch of a time with my sisters 50 inch philips.
Replaced the bad caps on the PS then the IPM's went on one side, then after I got it fired up and working
i went to adjust the voltages and pow the set shut down again. I got frustrated and it still sits
on a dolly in my basement.

Sad

If its just the Power supply and few caps need to be changed try it out. its cheap. But once you get involved with IPM's then it can get frustrating and a bitch to remove.

Id open it up and look at the PS caps first.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
I just fixed my Cousins Hitachi 50 inch plasma. 6 bad caps on the PS.

It works now but has the sparkles because i have not adjusted the voltages yet.

Will do but I am afraid because as mac knows I have had a bitch of a time with my sisters 50 inch philips.
Replaced the bad caps on the PS then the IPM's went on one side, then after I got it fired up and working
i went to adjust the voltages and pow the set shut down again. I got frustrated and it still sits
on a dolly in my basement.

Sad

If its just the Power supply and few caps need to be changed try it out. its cheap. But once you get involved with IPM's then it can get frustrating and a bitch to remove.

Id open it up and look at the PS caps first.

Nashou

From my first post:
AnalogRocks wrote:

...No obvious signs of bad capacitors...

Wink

I believe it's going to be one of the driver boards H or V. However I found a guy that has the same model with a broken screen....Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops missed that part.

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this exact TV a month ago. You have a bad X-Main board, and good luck finding a replacement (they are nonexistent on ebay because of their failure rate).

I repaired the board myself, but all of the parts came from china, as that was the only place I could even find any of them. It took about a month to get all the parts together, but once I repaired the X-main the set worked first time everytime.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, this is a very easy set to work on, theres almost nothing (compared to the old plasmas or a Pioneer anyway) in them, pretty straight forward set.
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
I had this exact TV a month ago. You have a bad X-Main board, and good luck finding a replacement (they are nonexistent on ebay because of their failure rate).

I repaired the board myself, but all of the parts came from china, as that was the only place I could even find any of them. It took about a month to get all the parts together, but once I repaired the X-main the set worked first time everytime.

Shoot me a parts list if ya got it will you please?

The guy that has the other one said the screen is not only cracked but it powers up and shuts down with 6 blinks of the power LED.

I'm not jumping into that one too.

BTW did you get my PM about the scaling?

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mac, can different revision boards be used in the same set?

CRT.

HD done right!
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never did make a parts list for the set, I just ordered what was bad right away. I normally don't repair TV sets anymore myself, they are just too awkward to haul around and are generally not worth the effort to repair.

You'll have to poke around with a DMM to see whats bad. I only worked on the set as it was for a friend.

I probably did get your PM about scaling, I'll check it out and reply back to ya.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Never did make a parts list for the set, I just ordered what was bad right away. I normally don't repair TV sets anymore myself, they are just too awkward to haul around and are generally not worth the effort to repair.

You'll have to poke around with a DMM to see whats bad. I only worked on the set as it was for a friend.

I probably did get your PM about scaling, I'll check it out and reply back to ya.

Do you remember if it was just caps or was it transistors and IC's too? I'll poke aroundwith a DMM later but just wondering which parts you replaced?

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Well you will love my answer. Yes and no.
Sometimes they will work and sometimes they wont'. I am speaking generally, not specifically to your model.
Your model,as you have indicated is a: PN51D550C1FXZC
There is also a: PN51D550C1FXZA
Only difference is the last letter in the model, BUT, the A is a 720p native and the C is a 1080p native. Most boards will not interchange even if the boards are similar and maybe just a different REV.
To indicate what if any boards would be interchangeable would be based on someone having actually tried the change and verified or a manufacturer stating any such interchangeability.

The problematic X sustain board Jermey mentions is the "A" version. Now that is not to say yours is not bad but it wasn't under the more common ones.
Logic boards have also been found to be bad along with P/S in this series. Series being: PN**D550C1****
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Sometimes they will work and sometimes they wont'. I am speaking generally, not specifically to your model.
Only difference is the last letter in the model, BUT, the A is a 720p native and the C is a 1080p native. Most boards will not interchange even if the boards are similar and maybe just a different REV.
To indicate what if any boards would be interchangeable would be based on someone having actually tried the change and verified or a manufacturer stating any such interchangeability.

The problematic X sustain board Jermey mentions is the "A" version. Now that is not to say yours is not bad but it wasn't under the more common ones.
Logic boards have also been found to be bad along with P/S in this series. Series being: PN**D550C1****

I was more thinking the revision number.

For instance, my power supply is revision 1.3 would a revision 1.2 work ? Like wise for the X sustain. If I make sure it's the 1080 part but a different revision will it work? Yes no? Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

Do you remember if it was just caps or was it transistors and IC's too? I'll poke aroundwith a DMM later but just wondering which parts you replaced?

He most likely had 1 or more blown out panel drive mosfets. May have also had damaged mosfet driver ics but not necessarily. Any cap damage would of probably been from the failure parts shorting out so may not of had any. Just do a diode test on the mosfet on the heatsink. If any legs show a direct short, check the trace on the back of the board to see if they are actually connected and it would be a normal reading. But never should all 3 legs show short. Any mosfet under question would have to be removed for proper testing.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

I was more thinking the revision number.

For instance, my power supply is revision 1.3 would a revision 1.2 work ? Like wise for the X sustain. If I make sure it's the 1080 part but a different revision will it work? Yes no? Very Happy

Maybe... maybe not. Laughing Sorry,but there is no way to know for sure. The newer revision may just have a minor change for better reliability. Or an entire connector wired differently for a different model unit. The REV number is an important number that can either repair or damage a unit.

If all connectors are marked and all markings are identical including voltage ratings then it would be safe to try.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mac, do you have a copy of the blink codes?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Direct View Televisions and Monitors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: