Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Diagramming sight lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Diagramming sight lines Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm looking a simple way to diagram sight lines with angles and dimensions. I've thought of

SketchUP
Visio

I'd prefer not to spend hours learning the software.

Actually, I want to pop in the dimensions, have the software generate the angles and them modify the dimensions to see how the angle change. Plus the interference between the 1st & 2nd row.

For Visio, Microsoft has a 60 day trial and there's a free viewer available.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always sight lines with a simple 2D drawing app like Illustrator because I've know it since the beginning of time and it takes me like 10 minutes to sketch something up in plan and elevation separately. There's an open source alternative called Inkscape that might also work well.

For 3D, I love SketchUp, and I've been using it for years. The free version is more than adequate, whatever time you spend learning the basics enough to figure your angles, you can use on future projects. I've used SketchUp to design everything from the theater to a deck, furniture, and a custom handrail I built in my last house.

No comment on Visio. I don't use it and never have. I know it's powerful, but it always looked like a giant pain in the ass to me. I also don't like time-limited trials since I'd no doubt put it aside, then not got back to it until after the trial expired.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a ruler, pencil and graft paper, to create a scale drawing?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedd wrote:
Why not a ruler, pencil and graft paper, to create a scale drawing?

It's pretty tough to experiment with different heights and such, because you have to keep redrawing, but yes - old school pen and paper is as simple and free as it gets.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Tedd

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just draw the room on the graph paper and do scale seating and screen as cut outs. A
straight edge will give you the sightline.

One item seldom mentioned, is make sure the front row elevated head angle doesn't exceed
seven degrees, if you mount the screen on the higher side of things, to tweak sightlines.
paw

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Visio trial did what I needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: