Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Clarence's new HT built in 2 weeks for Super Bowl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Spanky Ham wrote:
Seymour had his 4k material which is equally great. I have never asked Cris, but I have been curious if it was the same material.

Looks like the Seymour DIY material is about the same price...
http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp

I probably would've gone with that if I did more research and had more time, but I just saw Carl's AT material on ebay and amazon, and figured everyone used the same awning material. I'd ordered one of Carl's non-AT screens for outdoor use and was impressed... had it hanging in our unfinished basement for a year.

I'm happy with the sheerweave for now, but I might order a sample of the Seymour stuff just to compare, especially if I notice the weave from sitting distance. I did cut at a generous offset angle, so hopefully moire will be mitigated.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in what you think of the new UF material. I haven't seen it, but it looks like it might be a finer weave. I didn't like the XD material because I could see the weave from IIRC 8 feet away. The UF is lower gain, but with your new 56 you will have lumens to spare.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Also, can you give some feedback on the pj and JVC ebay store after it is all said and done? I have almost bought from them in the past and wondered how good they are.

I think you will love this pj. You should be set for the next couple of years unless you just have to a laser/led and/or 4k pj.

Wow. Just got back from out of town and I the RS56 was here waiting for me. Screwed the chief mount to the ceiling and mounted the jvc. I was able to get under my beam soffit with the 6" extension pipe.

Great picture!

JVC refurb was fine... it took several days until they sent a tracking number. Shipped UPS Ground from California. Nicely double boxed. No scratches or dents. Everything was shrink-wrapped and looked brand new. Only thing I noticed was no AAA batteries for the remote.

All screen adjustment menus are at 0, so no digital pixel resizing.

Tried 3D real quick for the first time. The amazon glasses needed charged. But with them plugged in, I can tell they're working well. Gonna watch Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D tonight. My kids saw it, but I haven't yet.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good to hear. Now, they probably won't have another pj for sale until the fall. Crying or Very sad

So, is the picture better than the Epson and the G90? Twisted Evil
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
So, is the picture better than the Epson and the G90?
Yes. I miss my G90, but I don't regret not building this new HT around it. A 10' wide screen was always asking a little too much from a single CRT, especially one with as many hours as mine had.

And I didn't expect as much of a difference between the Epson and the JVC. Resolution (1920x1080) and lumens (1200) are fairly comparable on paper. But 12,000 LCD CR vs 90,000 CR from D-ILA... no comparison. I get a kick out of the official Epson description...
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63068239
Epson wrote:
AbsoluteBlack™, technology delivers a contrast ratio of up to 12,000:1 and ensures the richest, deepest blacks. And, the innovative OptiCinema™ lens delivers amazing detail and breathtaking color for spectacular results. Together, these state-of-the-art technologies, all within a single projector, present a total solution that exceeds all expectations

But the Epson was still a good little projector... plenty of lumens, no DLP rainbows, tiny, and cheap. Considering the price delta, it holds its own for $400. I plan on listing it on our neighborhood web site along with the 4 extra recliners and my non-AT screen.

I finished dyeing the seats on the riser...

The wife was impressed. I think I'm going to dye the front row too.

And here's the JVC...
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend dyeing the other seats unless they need it.

I kind of figured you would like the additional cr that the JVC cranks out. IIRC the JVC also has a much better lens than the Epson.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a few years since I've taken screenshots, but here are some from the first movie we watched (well, we watched it in 3D, but these are from the 2D bluray)...

This was in the previews and I thought it would be a fitting tribute to those of you who remember my AVS avatar from circa 2003...

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, the Hulk looks so much more life like than the one from the mid-00s. Smile

Judging from the screenshots, the JVC is easily lighting up that 10 foot screen.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Judging from the screenshots, the JVC is easily lighting up that 10 foot screen.
Oh yeah, plenty of light to spare. Looks good even wearing 3D glasses.

A few wide-angle shots...

Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
Unfortunately with my usual half-assed implementation, I just have a switch hanging loose up above the projector, and I have to remember to turn it on & off. One of these days I really ought to wire up a sensor switch to turn it on any time the projector is on. Yup, I really ought to ......

OK, I really ought to do something about this. I did some searching and didn't find an obvious solution. Can anyone recommend a product that I can plug the projector into, that also switches power to the fan? Right now I have the fan powered and I just need a switch, but I think I could re-wire it so the fan gets powered from the current-sensor switch if that's the right way to do it.

Something like this?

http://catalog.bitsltd.us/catalog/SMART/SCG.html

"The Original SCG Energy Saving Smart Strip Series. The essential workhorse of the Smart Strips. The SCG series was designed to save the user time, energy and money without having to change anything about your current usage habits. The Smart Strip will automatically control the flow of power to peripheral devices based on one devices power draw."
jask

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good! and has some adjustment for trigger sensitivity as well? I was originally thinking of a simple thermostat like you would use for an attic power fan- normally open but closed ( power to fan ) when it hits the set temp. Another option is the automated dust controller they sell at most tool and woodwork stores, you can usually get them for 40-50$ and they are bulletproof- I have had one on my shop dust collector for ages and as soon as I hit the tool power it fires up the slave circuit and dust collector:
http://www.ivacswitch.com/default.action?itemid=13
View user's photo album (4 photos)
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished building a subwoofer... a folded-horn F20 from AVS.

Here's the Before and After measurements. The yellow area is the ~20dB extra bass (~6X) that this sub gives compared to BOTH of my 15" subs (Cerwin Vega and Definitive Technologies)...