Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Clarence's new HT built in 2 weeks for Super Bowl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
That is awesome.

When I first saw the make offer button, I thought it was a mistake. I then thought there was no way anyone would be working over the weekend, so why bother till Mon. I guess it pays to be proactive.

Anyway that is good info. Next time one comes up that I may have to make them an offer.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score, Clarence! Where was this offered? You said you bought it from JVC but I don't see any projectors offered on their site. Their main site just says "Procision projectors are not sold online" and the store site only has accessories. And no RS56U's recently on ebay either.

Was it just a "make offer" button on the product page, like e.g. http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102175 ?

I might have to keep an eye on that...
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Clarence! Lookin' good.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Where was this offered? You said you bought it from JVC but I don't see any projectors offered on their site. Their main site just says "Procision projectors are not sold online" and the store site only has accessories. And no RS56U's recently on ebay either.

http://stores.ebay.com/JVCPROSTORE

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. OK, thanks Steve. I looked for "sold listings" but it didn't show up there.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
I understand going with the Epson, but I really don't like the look. Not sure if you are looking to upgrade or even have a budget, but I think the JVC RS4910 would look really good in there.

HogPilot wrote:
At this point any of the newer Sony or JVC offerings will probably be a big step up, although the JVCs will still have an edge in black levels.

Today I came across a decent deal on a JVC DLA-RS56U. I looked at 100's of projectors, but once I saw that it's the same one that Kal went with, I figured it was good enough for me. Ordered it from JVC with a new lamp and 2 year warranty.

Ordered the same Chief mount as Kal, too:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346279#346279
Except it was surprisingly cheaper at B&H than Amazon.

Awesome score! You're gonna love it, it's an awesome machine, especially for that price. I'll definitey have to come check it out once you set it up.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in the market for a JVC, Gary?

I have the JVC ebay page bookmarked and check it every once in awhile. They mostly have that other stuff on the page. PJs show up from time to time usually in the spring and early summer. I think it is mostly returns from the new line of pjs from that year. Unfortunately, JVC didn't update their line up this year, so I am not sure how many pjs will come up on that page this go around.

Next year will be interesting because JVC will have native 4k and/or laser/led. 4k shouldn't cause any problems regarding reliability, but I am not sure I would want to be an early adopter with laser/led. JVC does have a laser/led sim pj, but I think that is just hitting the market. The upshot is that the pricing on used JVCs should drop a good bit.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Oh, not really. But if I found a hot enough deal I could be tempted. It would be nice to have real HD. A stock Marquee 8500 can't handle 1080p, and even my 720p is pretty marginal. Dragan was up here once and he gave up trying to squeeze any smaller spot size / more resolution out of it. Don't get me wrong, it looks OK, and it's watchable. Anybody who isn't a video geek thinks it's great. But I remember what real HD was like with my XG. I'd like to have that extra resolution and not have to worry about convergence drifting.

The 8500 has done well for me for years. It'll keep going until the good digitals get cheap enough that I can't say no.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Check out ebay 321645533641

That's the other one that I almost bought. But I decided to splurge on a little more lumens, a little more CR, and the option for 3D...
JVC DLA-HD350B (1080P D-ILA, 30K CR, 1000 lumens) at one-third of the price that I paid. Buy a new lamp and keep the old one as a spare.

The HD350 gets great reviews:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jvc-dla-hd350-d-ila-projector
http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-dla-hd350-d-ila-projector-review
http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-HD350.htm
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/jvc-dla-hd350/
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

That's the other one that I almost bought. But I decided to splurge on a little more lumens, a little more CR, and the option for 3D...
JVC DLA-HD350B (1080P D-ILA, 30K CR, 1000 lumens) at one-third of the price that I paid. Buy a new lamp and keep the old one as a spare.

The HD350 gets great reviews:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jvc-dla-hd350-d-ila-projector
http://www.trustedreviews.com/jvc-dla-hd350-d-ila-projector-review
http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-HD350.htm
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/jvc-dla-hd350/

I just sold mine to mac here on the forum. Apparently it was pretty toasted but it sounds like he'll be able to get it fixed. I never got to run it, he bought it the way I bought it, but I do have the brochure for the HD350 and you're right. From the brochure it makes the projector sound like a great machine. I'd like to get ahold of one again so I can compare it to my Qualia, but something tells me it wont be as bright and colorful.

The RS48 should be quite amazing, I would again love to see some of these nice JVCs in action sometime.

Great choice on the projector though Thumbs Up night and day compared to the Epson you're running.

Also, excellent clean look on your theater, I love the simple look!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:

Hmmmmmmmm....

1000 ANSI lumens is going to be way more than I get out of my 8500. (1000 lumens on my 48"x85" screen should be 36 ftL at full brightness -- I'd have to crank it way down or go blind! But it sounds like the HD350 bulbs get dim really fast, so I'm sure "too much light" won't be a problem.) And 30000:1 is way more CR than I have with my CRT too. And I really don't like watching 3D. And the price is getting into my "can't say no" range........

If it has performance like its big brothers, I might have to give this some serious thought. Damn you Clarence!! I wasn't in the market for a new projector... Laughing
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Question for you on the 50-75 people thing... how hot does it get in the HT? Any issues?

Woo-hoo! Good news... even with 40+ people in the HT tonight, door open, but it never got above 80 degrees in there.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
I would wait on the last two generations to drop in price. As Crabb has mentioned, JVC used pricing has stayed pretty high. I think that will change come Cedia in Oct. If you don't have to have 4k, then you should have a pretty good selection of nice pjs.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya. I tried lowballing the HD350 at $600 and $650, and both were automatically rejected. Don't know where he's got his low limit but I decided not to explore any higher. By the time it's shipped and I get a new lamp it'd be pushing $1000. Which might be a great deal but I really don't need it. Especially since the reviews say it's oversaturated with no color management. Other than that, though, it sounds like a really great unit. If only it didn't have 1650 hours on the lamp...

I don't need 4K or 3D. When people start dropping their projectors for the latest-greatest, then maybe I'll revisit it.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Ya. I tried lowballing the HD350 at $600 and $650, and both were automatically rejected. Don't know where he's got his low limit but I decided not to explore any higher. By the time it's shipped and I get a new lamp it'd be pushing $1000.

Yep, I did a few offers and stopped at $756.88 (rejected) which would've been $800 shipped.

Beyond that point, with adding the new lamp, I decided I might as well go ahead and get the RS56 with the 2 year warranty, new lamp, 3D, better CR, more lumens, and overall newer generation.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D glasses for the JVC seems more complicated than I expected.

I saw this comment from RVonse:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=372417#372417
RVonse wrote:
I got my glasses yesterday and luckily the infrared must be able to bounce back from the screen to the glasses so for now everything is working perfectly. It took quite a awhile to get the glasses registered and upgraded with latest firmware but the process was well worth the effort. I now know for sure that xpand model x104 glasses do work with my JVC RU55 dila, in fact they work extremely well. Worth knowing because you can buy the model x104 glasses at Amazon for $20 versus the $170 that JVC wants for their glasses.

As a side note I just have to say this 3d was really worth the extra trouble and expense. I think this technology is spectacular and wonderful beyond belief. Based on what I read about JVC I was not expecting too much, but for me JVC's 3d is if anything better in terms of clarity than what I see when going to the commercial theater. When re-watching the film Promethius in the 3d version I found I had missed many scenery details I did not either see or notice when watching the 2d version. Especially in the star scene when the alien is taking off to earth. The additional detail not only makes watching the movie more enjoyable but makes my theater look bigger than it is. I know I am going to start buying a lot more 3d movies instead of just plain blu ray now despite the much higher cost. For you guys that already own a 3d ready JVC projector, for less than $100 IMO you owe it to yourselves to at least buy an emitter and glasses to see for yourselves.

And this thread on AVS:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1508581-consensus-best-3d-glasses-emitter-jvcs.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1508581-consensus-best-3d-glasses-emitter-jvcs-5.html#post29161298
Quote:
If You do not have a polarized screen get the closeout ones made for Mitsubishi. They come with the emitter and glasses at a amazing price. Most screens do not retain polarization. If yours does you can still use the emitter which will work with the jvc Xpand version of the glasses.

so I ended up ordering 3 of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZW7SR2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009ZW7SR2&linkCode=as2&tag=curtpalmecrtp-20&linkId=4K3VIN2GIKSIRROV
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
Ya. I tried lowballing the HD350 at $600 and $650, and both were automatically rejected. Don't know where he's got his low limit but I decided not to explore any higher. By the time it's shipped and I get a new lamp it'd be pushing $1000.

Yep, I did a few offers and stopped at $756.88 (rejected) which would've been $800 shipped.

Clarence wrote:
Beyond that point, with adding the new lamp, I decided I might as well go ahead and get the RS56 with the 2 year warranty, new lamp, 3D, better CR, more lumens, and overall newer generation.

Yes. Way, way better deal. Good call for both of you.

Gary, like Spanky said, I'd just sit tight. There were pretty significant improvements in the projectors from the HD350 to the generation of projector I had - the RS45. Better contrast and black levels, better color calibration, servo lens shift with memory for more flexible installation and aspect ratio control... The list goes on.

Anyway, that generation of machine usually goes for around $1200-1500 depending on condition, accessories, and whether it includes a lamp. I'd grab another RS45 in a heartbeat. For anything close to $1250, it's an extremely good projector.

Clarence's deal on the RS56 at $2200 is a steal. That's what I paid for my B-stock RS45 almost three years ago. So, his is a model year newer, and one tier up, for what I paid back then. Total steal. I was looking at on Saturday morning, too - but to say I'm not ready to buy anything is an understatement.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Clarence! The room turned out great! You'll LOVE that JVC.

I'm very jealous. We moved into a new house last fall and really miss the theater. I'm hoping to start working on it this spring, but I need to find a job first. Evil or Very Mad

I can't comprehend starting and finishing a theater build in two weeks. It's unfathomable to me. Just ordering the materials and getting them delivered and ready to install would take me two weeks. Plus, for me at least, there's so much to do before I even really start building the theater itself. I have to run some ethernet and speaker wire to the living room (through what will be the theater ceiling), same with cabling to bedroom, add PVC intake/exhaust for high-efficiency furnace that will eventually replace the furnace we have now so I don't have to tear the ceiling apart later. There's also plumbing to a wet-bar that will also run through the theater. Then, in the theater, I have to build soffits, add new HVAC, THEN I can start building the theater itself. I probably have a couple of weeks minimum of work to do BEFORE I start building the theater.

Anyway, looks great and I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. Big accomplishment!

Cheers,
SC
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Clarence's deal on the RS56 at $2200 is a steal.

Most definitely. When I bought mine in Dec 2012 I paid over 3 times that price!

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Clarence wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

Clarence wrote:

Yes. Way, way better deal. Good call for both of you.

Gary, like Spanky said, I'd just sit tight. There were pretty significant improvements in the projectors from the HD350 to the generation of projector I had - the RS45. Better contrast and black levels, better color calibration, servo lens shift with memory for more flexible installation and aspect ratio control... The list goes on.

Anyway, that generation of machine usually goes for around $1200-1500 depending on condition, accessories, and whether it includes a lamp. I'd grab another RS45 in a heartbeat. For anything close to $1250, it's an extremely good projector.

I think I would wait on a good deal on a RS-46. I think the newer bulb would give more peace of mind and the price delta shouldn't be that great. IIRC Kris Deering said that out of the box the new JVCs are close to correct and a touch up calibration is only needed to bring it perfect.

Quote:

Clarence's deal on the RS56 at $2200 is a steal. That's what I paid for my B-stock RS45 almost three years ago. So, his is a model year newer, and one tier up, for what I paid back then. Total steal. I was looking at on Saturday morning, too - but to say I'm not ready to buy anything is an understatement.

SC

LOL, how many from this forum were looking at that pj on Saturday? I think I saw like 12 people watching it and I guess they might have all been from here. Shocked

Be honest, did you discuss it with your wife about pulling the trigger? I did almost call you and tell you to buy it before I did. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: