Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Laggy HTPC with MPC-HC and 1080p movies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Laggy HTPC with MPC-HC and 1080p movies. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi! I've got a problem with an HTPC that i bought recently, i've installed all the things i need, like MPC-HC, Custom resolution utility, Windows 7 and XP (for 3D), the codecs and the filters (LAV, ffdshow). Once i've connected and installed everything, i've tried to play a 1080p movie and all seems fine, no lag and no audio and video de-synch. The problem comes when i try to set MPC-HC and the various filters and shaders. It becomes all laggy and out of synch, i followed the guide from the site ezoden and the specs match my pc specs (i've bought a Intel D Dual core 2.5 GHz, 2 GB of Ram DDR3 expandible to 8 GB and a Nvidia Geforce 6600GT). I searched on the internet and i've found that the problem could be my graphic card that has got only 128MB of RAM, so i searched on Ebay for another cheap graphic card and iv'e found a Geforce GT210 that has got 1 GB of RAM. If i buy it will i resolve this problem?? i mean beside the (i guess) low CPU speed, chainging the graphic card could resolve the problem?

And then, to watch 3D movies i use a X3D accessory that comes with a VGA-dongle and a pair of wired LCD Shutter Glasses. I bought the 6600GT to use it with this accessory, and, as far as you know, will it work with the Geforce GT210? If not i will change the graphic card when i need to watch 3D movies i guess...

Another thing that i haven't quite get is the Nvidia Vision glasses... they work only on 3D monitors or also on CRTs? Because i use a NEC 9 PG Xtra to watch 3D movies, do they work with it?

Best Regards
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even better i found a Nvidia Geforce GT610 2 GB of RAM for less than 50 euros.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehm... can i have a Little help please?
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very far from an expert on HTPC, but I can tell you a couple of things based on my own experience.

First, the 6600 GT is a very old card. It was great for its time (for a mid-range card), but that was 10 years ago.

If by "D Dual core 2.5 GHz", you mean a Core 2 Duo, then between that and the video card, you're fine for basic video playback, but as you've found out, there's no way you'll be able to apply video filters in real-time. I have a similar PC - 2.2 Core 2 Duo, and probably pretty similar video card, and there's no way in hell that machine will do anything more than basic playback.

I'm actually planning at least a Core i5 machine with a fairly recent mid-range video card. Used Core i5 machines are only ~$250-300 US here, and a decent entry-level video card is $100-150 (which will obliterate a 10-year-old card).

If I were you, I'd do a test. Look at Task Manager and see what happens to CPU utilization when you turn on the filters and shaders that cause the problems. If the CPU utilization isn't pegging out, then the video card is probably the bottleneck. Get a better video card. If CPU utilization pegs, then the video card probably won't help that much. You could try it, because even if you end up getting a better PC, you can use the better video card you bought.

Let's see if anybody else any suggestions.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 6600GT card!? I was building PC's with those in 2001-2002! Try a better card. I found applying filters didn't work to well on my dual core 2.4 so I went quad core. My HTPC is from 2006-2007 and has 3GB ram with an ATi 3850PCIe . That ran the filters better. I don't use them much anymore unless it's to deinterlace 1080i to 1080p.

My old build thread if you want to spend an hour listening to me scratch my head: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Get a video card to start for sure. Sorry, as you see my stuff is old and just works so I don't know what is the current best for video.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies! Yeah, i know i was a bit stingy, but before i bought that PC i've informed myself a bit, i mean i've asked to 2 PC technician and on the guide of Ezoden and it says that a Dual Core was fine and also the technician sayied so.

I know that the graphics card is way to old but i need it for viewing 3D movies with an accessory from X3D (as i wrote above), i haven't bought a Nvidia Vision because it costs a bit and i don't have a lot of money since i'm unemployed and also because i haven't still get if it works only on 3D displays or also on CRTs.

Maybe i can buy a Intel Core 2 Quad socket 775 (i've read on the site of the manifacturer of the PC that it's compatible with it) so that all the operations are made by the CPU and i can use the graphics card for 3D movies... can it work for sure this way? I've found a Core 2 Quad for 50 euros near my home.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 3D stuff going on my 1999 PC with the Nvidia glasses adaptor on the VGA line in Windows98. So I can't honestly tell you yes or no on the new stuff.

I would try a video card first though or, as you say, research the hell out of it.

CRT.

HD done right!
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, at the end i've bought a Nvidia GeForce GT 610. It works almost fine, i mean i've got some troubles, the VGA won't work so i got an adaptor DVI-VGA and like so it works.

Then i've got another problem:
i wanted to make a custom resolution with the graphics card (1080i72Hz) but, after i've tested the resolution and saved it, it isn't listed with the other PC resolutions. So i tried to create a custom resolution with CRU but there's a strange bug, basically if the resolution is 1280x720, for example, if i select 1920x1080 (that should be 1080i72Hz) in Display it doesn't change the resolution but it does an downscaling of the 1080i to 720p. It isn't interlaced and the frequency it's still 60 Hz. I searched a bit on internet and i've found other programs that can do custom resolution like Rivatuner, RefreshForce and Powerstrip. Rivatuner is only for 2000, Xp and Vista so i can't use it since i've got 7 x64. Of RefreshForce i found few informations about it and Powerstrip i don't know how to use it... Do you have some suggestion to help me out? Maybe the drivers are the problem...
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used any of the new stuff but as old as this is it may help you:
Setting custom resolution with Nvidia and Powestrip
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19652

CRT.

HD done right!
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Analog, anyway i guess i've resolved the problem: i followed the guide of CRU for Nvidia users, i haven't saw it before, now the projector locks on a 1080i 72Hz signal. VGA port still doesn't work but with the DVI-VGA adapter i guess i'm fine.
hansilili

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probs seem to be solved. Still I want to add. The major advantage of mpc-hc for me is that you can use madvr with it, allowing perfect scaling on the GPU. Your CPU is by far good enough. You just need a decent 50 EUR garphic card to use very efficient scaleing with the Jinc algorythem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: