Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

The best hard drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: The best hard drives Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

It looks like it is Hitachi and Western Digital.
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitachi is a WD company now.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and they mention that in the article.These Hitachi drives are before the merger. It will be interesting to see how the post merger drives fair. If you have the money to spend, Hitachi has a new helium filled drive called the He6.
http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/enterprise-sas-drives/ultrastar-he6
xthunder

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitachi Enterprise(?) drives are great but normally priced at higher price mark.

I have never used Hitachi warranty before but I would expect them to be reasonable.

I have used Samsung/Seagate/Western Digital warranty service before and among these three manufacturers, I should say that Seagate's hot-swap 2-nd day shipping is very easy and fast but again, Seagate drives are not very reliable, in my cases at least...
gullukhan

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The best hard drives Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

It looks like it is Hitachi and Western Digital.

let me check this i personally used WD cavoir black 1TB it costs me 11700 Pkr 2 years back
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xthunder wrote:
Hitachi Enterprise(?) drives are great but normally priced at higher price mark.

I have never used Hitachi warranty before but I would expect them to be reasonable.

I have used Samsung/Seagate/Western Digital warranty service before and among these three manufacturers, I should say that Seagate's hot-swap 2-nd day shipping is very easy and fast but again, Seagate drives are not very reliable, in my cases at least...

I haven't had a issue with seagate drives

Currently as western digital is cheaper for me to get I use them now

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/198154-2014-hard-drive-failure-rates-point-to-clear-winners-and-losers-but-is-the-data-good

I guess Hitachi/WD is doing something right.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links. It's interesting how much Seagate has improved. But man the older Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 with like a 45% failure rate in 2.5 years is just terrible.

For now I have all WD GREEN drives (5x 4TB and 6x 3TB and piles of 2TB drives) and none have failed. The 3TB drives are about 2.5 years old and the 4T drives are about 1.5 years old. I frankly would not be surprised if the GREEN last longer than the RED drives because the GREEN's are locked to 5400 RPM while the RED's can spin at 7000 RPM when they need to.

I am going to consider buying HGST drives for the next size upgrade, but they use more electric power and run a lot hotter than the WD GREEN drives. My next upgrade probably won't be for more than a year because I still have over 10TB free space and a spare WD 4TB drive just sitting in a box just in case an other drive fails.

I'll fill the server, install the spare drive, and only then upgrade when I need the space. Probably by then I'll be buying four of five 6-8 TB drives to upgrade the parity drive and add more space... assuming the 6TB drives prove reliable especially with the whole helium thing and being hermetically sealed.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find the second link to be strange however. They seem overly sceptical of the results. This statement in particular got my attention:

Quote:
None of this is meant to imply that Backblaze’s work is wrong, as such, but it’s not at all clear how applicable it is to every day consumers and would-buy reliability hawks. We can be reasonably certain that Seagate’s 3TB and 4TB drives don’t fail at anything like 25-40% in the real world, or else the entire internet would be on fire with self-reported problems. We checked, and it isn’t. Tweaktown wrote an article discussing many of these issues last year; it’s worth a read if you want to explore them in more detail.

Frankly the 25-45% failure rate seems perfectly applicable to what consumers are seeing in the real world. I myself have refused to use Seagate drives for years because nearly every one I have had for the last decade has failed in less than three years, often earlier. This is when using in laptops and desktops not arrays.

I also see people all over the internet bashing all brands, but Seagate gets the most bashing by far. Read any NAS or RAID forum and the vast majority of people have bad dealings with Seagate and do not recommend them unless the only factor is getting the cheapest drive. I'm certainly not switching to Seagate until they have several years of proven new reliability.

I remember a time when Seagate was the best for reliability 10-15 years ago. Also, IBM used to brand some very reliable drives. That has all changed now, but it can always swing back the other direction as we move forward. There was a time when I stopped totally using WD because they were so prone to failure.

The other thing is heat and power consumption. Nothing runs anywhere near as cool or efficiently as the WD GREEN drives. These drives use less than 5 watts when running at full speed while reading and writing and 0.5 watts when spun down. The drives in my array never get hotter than 32 degrees celsius even in Summer while I am not running the AC. In winter or with the AC on they never go above 28 degrees celsius.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the extreme author makes an ASSumption that Backblaze is buying refurb drives. I didn't see anywhere that was stated in the other article. If he has evidence besides BB buying on price, then I would like to see it. He uses this belief and the different operating environments to blunt the Seagate failure rate. Different operating environments is a legitimate concern, but again he didn't state where BB has mentioned that.

I do agree that a home environment isn't like a commercial environment (from what little I know). That being said, if HGST can hold up better than Seagate in that environment then it would be reasonable to assume that HGST would hold up better in the home. The only caveat being if the failure rate is from excessive vibration in a more extreme environment.

Some interesting things I took away from the latest data. First, it has been almost four years since the floods in Thailand and Seagate is still having issues. Second, HGST drives are still going strong even after being purchased by WD.

I understand what you are saying about the WD drives and I have a couple. I think I have only had one WD drive go bad, but I am a small sample size. I take that back, I had a Black laptop drive go bad after a week but it was a refurb. After a RMA, it has ran fine for four years. So, I guess that might make two.

What sucks is Newegg had a great deal on a HGST drive like a week or two ago. If I would have seen this data before the sale, then I would have bought one.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Yeah, the extreme author makes an ASSumption that Backblaze is buying refurb drives. I didn't see anywhere that was stated in the other article. If he has evidence besides BB buying on price, then I would like to see it. He uses this belief and the different operating environments to blunt the Seagate failure rate. Different operating environments is a legitimate concern, but again he didn't state where BB has mentioned that.

I totally agree with you.

Spanky Ham wrote:
Some interesting things I took away from the latest data. First, it has been almost four years since the floods in Thailand and Seagate is still having issues. Second, HGST drives are still going strong even after being purchased by WD.

Yeah, I find it interesting that HGST still seems to retain its own identity even after being purchased by WD. If I recall, the two drives brands are still even using different density platters so all their parts may still be different between the brands. HGST still also runs much warmer than WD too.

Spanky Ham wrote:
What sucks is Newegg had a great deal on a HGST drive like a week or two ago. If I would have seen this data before the sale, then I would have bought one.

Doesn't matter, drive prices are the most volatile thing I have ever seen. They reverberate between high and low on a seemingly biweekly schedule. The only reason that I can think of for the price fluctuations is to try and sell drives to folks who come along that day and say I need a drive now. Then the next week they can sell drives to folks looking for quantity at the lowest prices.

I will say this, I have been doing exactly what Backblaze has been doing. Prices on external drives are almost always the cheapest way to buy drives. The six 3TB drives and five 4TB drives in my current server were all WD external drives that I shucked and took out of their enclosures. We are talking around $40 cheaper per drive and sometimes more. I keep the enclosures in the attic for warranty reasons, but in the past WD has still honored the warranty on shucked drives without question.

I've also had a couple forum members here send me their HD orders. I have shucked the drives, formatted them, and disabled head parking on the WD drives.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the HD prices. I guess I was wanting (not needing) another HD. Newegg did have a 4TB HGST NAS drive today for $155. I decided to pass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: