Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

What "Not" To Do With Your Projector
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Spanky Ham wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
Nice!!!

How much you want for it? Wink

Nashou

Why? Are you ready to dump your blend? Twisted Evil

Nah, he's just trying to get it off of mac before I get my hands back on it, like he did with that ebay-G90 of his Razz Wink

I hope he doesn't toss the blend, its one of the more complex CRT setups I get to read about on here Very Happy. I would honestly be more into CRT myself if I had the physical room to house a couple of them, but one is all the room I can spare.

You aren't thinking of going digital are you Nash?? Shocked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
Nice!!!

How much you want for it? Wink

Nashou

Why? Are you ready to dump your blend? Twisted Evil

Nah, he's just trying to get it off of mac before I get my hands back on it, like he did with that ebay-G90 of his Razz Wink

I hope he doesn't toss the blend, its one of the more complex CRT setups I get to read about on here Very Happy. I would honestly be more into CRT myself if I had the physical room to house a couple of them, but one is all the room I can spare.

You aren't thinking of going digital are you Nash?? Shocked

Thanks for the compliment. The blend will stay as it is for now. Changes might come
in the spring with some new gear I hope will add the missing links that CRT blends need.

I am actually removing boards and making changes to increase stability.
What I found incredible is that VDC used no Thermal past on the amps
mounted to the rear heat sink for these 2004 build ultras!!!! WTF?

Just adding that will most likely decrease warm up time to convergence a lot!!!!

I just want to have a Beamer just for TV viewing and sports.
The blend will be my Movie watching rig till a decent laser based
PJ with good blacks and no speckle effect is made.

I wish Prysm would use their technology of laser excited phosphor
to make a PJ with that. Modern phosphor based tube. Cant call it CRT, hmmm maybe LBT( Laser Beam Tube) Very Happy

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 45 arrived today. Unfortunately it did not do well on its journey. Examining pieces now.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Well the 45 arrived today. Unfortunately it did not do well on its journey. Examining pieces now.

Ouch mac, was it due to poor packaging? or rough shipping? That's too bad to hear, hopefully its somewhat repairable!

Hows that HD350 going? Still waiting for the part?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looked worse then it really was, so far. Mostly cosmetic so far.

I have not ordered the part for the other one because I figured I would wait until I got this one in case I have to order parts for this one also since will probably be coming from China.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmmmm...... this 45 may not be leaving here for some time...... Shocked Purdy sweet! Very Happy
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmm...... this 45 may not be leaving here for some time...... Shocked Purdy sweet! Very Happy

What do you like about it?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what was wrong with it?? Details man, this is a forum after all Razz

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

It has a nice detail in the picture. Seems to have that depth that digitals usually lack.

Of course as soon as you run a lesser then 1080p signal through it, it becomes unwatchable real fast. Of course I have not done a lot of experimenting with it yet so it could of just been what I was running through it at the time. Other methods could probably yield better results with lesser then 1080.

I spent more time watching a couple flicks then playing around with different devices and settings. I know that is not the norm around here, LOL.

Last edited by macgyver655 on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
And what was wrong with it?? Details man, this is a forum after all Razz

Well, you know I usually don't have a problem discussing component level repair other then for CRT on here in respect for Curt, but for now, I am choosing not to discuss such repairs on some of these digitals so I may be able to generate some business for myself. Very Happy
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:
macgyver655 wrote:

It has a nice detail in the picture. Seems to have that depth that digitals usually lack.

Hey, look what some first-hand experience can do for an opinion! Now you know first-hand what I was seeing and talking about for the last few years. I wish more "digital haters" on this forum could see a good digital picture first-hand. I think they might change their "digital sucks" tune - at least a little.

You should see it on a good screen, with the aperture all the way closed, and a good calibration. Very impressive, and very CRT-like in its color and image quality. IMHO, with eShift in the newer/better models, it takes the PQ up even another step - especially if you like to sit close to a larger screen.

macgyver655 wrote:
Of course as soon as you run a lesser then 1080p signal through it, it becomes unwatchable real fast. Of course I have not done a lot of experimenting with it yet so it could of just been what I was running through it at the time. Other methods could probably yield better results with lesser then 1080.

Yes, it's extremely revealing when the source is less than stellar. It's not that there's anything wrong with the scaling - it's just that a high-resolution device is extremely revealing when the source is much lower-resolution. Even a good 720p source was noticeably inferior to 1080p source. Spatial resolution is a big deal.

Even DirecTV HD was noticeably and obviously inferior to Blu-ray on the JVC. It was much different though on the G70. On the G70, I think since some of the sharpness of Blu-ray was masked by the projector (bandwidth, lenses, etc.), it "hid" the inferiority of DirecTV and also "hid" some of the advantage of Blu-ray, making them appear much closer.

So, Mac... What did you think about the overall design and build quality (realizing of course these are still plastic-chassis consumer machines, not commercial-quality equipment)?

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

Hey, look what some first-hand experience can do for an opinion! Now you know first-hand what I was seeing and talking about for the last few years. I wish more "digital haters" on this forum could see a good digital picture first-hand. I think they might change their "digital sucks" tune - at least a little.

I don't think I ever bashed the image quality or even the black level of the JVC. If I did it was a long time ago. My beef was always the, having to replace an expensive lamp and the ability to repair factor. I still feel the same way about that. The HD350(RS10) I have here also is a perfect example of that. It blew out a chip that seems to be non existent here so it has to come out of China. So I have to wait till I need a few more items or it is not worth the price just yet. I also don't buy the lamp vs tube argument. There are only certain CRTs that wear tubes faster then others and even then it is only those few that the wear really bothers at low hours. Worn tubes still work and throw a decent image. Burned out or blown out lamps do nothing.

So my opinion really has not changed all that much. If you want ease of setup and can afford it, go "GOOD" digital. If you have little budget, need something that can be repaired at an affordable price and don't mind a little hassle, buy CRT. I was just commenting on how nice this projectors image is. Nothing more...nothing less. Laughing

ecrabb wrote:
So, Mac... What did you think about the overall design and build quality (realizing of course these are still plastic-chassis consumer machines, not commercial-quality equipment)?

Well I am not seeing anything special in there. Components are the same as in many other devices, caps are no name generic but could still be a better quality then the junk used in other stuff, ballast is the same as what is used in many other different brand devices and same with lamp, fans made in China. Design is no better then other devices. So their panels, filters and optics is where it all comes from.

I would have no problem replacing the lamp with a non OEM as long as it was a Philips, Osram or other well known name brand.

Of course the ballast and lamp comments do not apply to the JVC line using the newer design like in Kals. I would need some hands on to determine anything there.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 350 is up and running. There are quite a few room lights on so pics are washed out a little but still not bad.

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! So what will it take to buy it back from you? Laughing

Nice work, glad you were able to get it running, it sat here for a year because I didn't have the time to get to it. At least it finally got fixed Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He I recognise thad hd350. I had to clean the prisma several times to get more light and better blacks.

I wondered how difficult it would be to trick the projector in thinking the lamp is there and putting a led lamp in its place?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
He I recognise thad hd350. I had to clean the prisma several times to get more light and better blacks.

I wondered how difficult it would be to trick the projector in thinking the lamp is there and putting a led lamp in its place?

Easy to trick, not enough light from leds that have been attempted by others in the past.
Andreas21

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: What "Not" To Do With Your Projector Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Well I guess you can not run your projector without a lamp unless you disconnect the 390v to the ballast first, lol. This had to be the most smoke and hiss I have seen in a long time. Lots and lots of smoke. You can see the liquid electrolyte in the housing. Couldn't get a good pic of the cap.. Hopefully that is all that went up. I had just finished a repair on the main board and just wanted to go through the startup to verify. Well at least the first problem has been solved, lol. Fun day, but smells funny here now, lol.

Impressive workstation you have there, and I see you take precautions and use an antistatic mat when working with electronics. Rolling Eyes

I would never send my projector in for repairs to a messy place like that, not even an old outdated CRT. Cool

CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No antistatic mat needed when components are soldered onto a PC board. Very few people know that. I've never used one.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
No antistatic mat needed when components are soldered onto a PC board. Very few people know that. I've never used one.

I never use one either. Never had a problem.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
mac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my bench is a mess. I wish I had the time to keep it clean but these f*cking digitals keep breaking so fast I am having a hard time keeping up with them. Pretty soon I am going to need a shovel for busted sh*t.

I should of stuck with just CRT repairs......... My bench was squeaky clean then. Hahahahahhaha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: