Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SONY IFB-3D not pulsing IR transmitter for 3D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: SONY IFB-3D not pulsing IR transmitter for 3D Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I cannot seem to get the 3d sync output on the 3 pin DIN connector to run an IR emitter for the glasses. I am using a Lumagen 2020 feeding the IFB-3D input 1. The 2020 shows its in 3D mode 720p@120hz and I see the expected double image on the screen. When I hit mode on the Moore remote I get the red led on the card and the IR emmutter'a power led comes on but the IR indicator doesn't light as it does with an Optoma 3DXL. I can also check for IR with my phone camera.

Is there something I'm missing? Are there jumpers on the Moome that might need to be set?

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a lot of things depending on the scenario.

First, are you trying to use the 3D signal from the Lumagen to be read by the Moome? If so that will not work with the 2020 Radiance. The only Radiance processors that support the 3D sync protocol to the Moome are the XE and XS. The newer Radiance processors can't send the sync signal due to a change in the architecture of the VP.

You should also be able to use the Moome as a dump 3D sync box though. In other words, you should be able to set the Moome to just send a 3D signal all the time regardless of the input signal. This option will allow you to watch 3D, but there is a 50/50 chance each time you use it that your polarity will be backwards requiring that you switch polarity on the transmitter or Moome card. You may also have to do a small modification to the Moome board to support this, though you would need to email Moome directly to find out. The Moome might be able to do this already, but it may only work with standard 720p 120Hz timings (not custom timings). you probably will also want 720p 96Hz for BD and I don't know if the Moome supports that without modification.

The other possibility is that the 2020 may be able to be fitted with a 3D emitter output on the processor its self. This is possible on the 2021 and 21xx processors, but I am not certain of the 2020 unit (I think yes but I am not certain and I have not modified one). If you want I can call Lumagen tomorrow to find out about this for you. If it's possible Lumagen will want you to ship your unit to me for the upgrade. I think the price is between $200-$300 for parts and labor. It involves punching a hole in the VP chassis, installing the 3-pin mini-din, and soldering the wires for the mini-din to the VP board.

Let me know by email if you want me to check with Lumagen. I know I am the only dealer authorized to do this procedure as it is for CRT only and also Lumagen does not want to be bothered with it in house so they have me handle them.

Best regards,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Craig. E-mails sent to you and Moome. 3D surely seems trickier than it needs to be Smile

For the question about the Moome reading the lumagen for the sync, I am connecting to Moome hdmi 1 as the manual says to use that with Radiance (lumagen), but I also tried on HDMI2 but didn't test as much.

For the question about 720p@96hz, I set the 2020 to that resolution last night and no issues in dislaying and confirmed the rates in the G90 menu.

jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moome sent a modification to remove U94 and jumper (iirc) pin 6 to 9 to 16. This makes the 3D sync always enabled regardless of the content. So I now have pulses to drive the glasses emitter. The polarity is hit or miss for left-right eye but I can easily switchange as needed with the Moome 9 key.

The whole path has a Sony 3D blu ray player into an AVR set to pass through hdmi to the Lumagen 2020, feeding the first moome hdmi input. The blu ray output is 1080p24 with the Lumagen set to output 720p120, frame-sequential 3d.

jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moome sent a modification to remove U94 and jumper pin 7 to 9 to 16. This makes the 3D sync always enabled regardless of the content. So I now have pulses to drive the glasses emitter. The polarity is hit or miss for left-right eye but I can easily switch as needed with the Moome 9 key.

The whole path has a Sony 3D blu ray player into an AVR set to pass through hdmi to the Lumagen 2020, feeding the first moome hdmi input. The blu ray output is 1080p24 with the Lumagen set to output 720p120, frame-sequential 3d.

Last edited by jarseneau on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (4 photos)
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend that you setup 720p at 96Hz. This will provide an even multiple of 24/48 Hz so you will not have judder. It will also allow for less bandwidth to be used. This in turn will allow you to add about 500~550 lines of vertical blanking. The vertical blanking will allow for more time between frames and this will reduce ghosting tremendously.

I'm not sure if your 2020 is supposed to support 720p 120Hz out of the box Wink shee don't tell anyone because I think that may only be for PLUS models. However, 720p 120 Hz is the same bandwidth as 1080p 60Hz so it may be supported.

If you have a non-PLUS model you may want to consider running 540p 96Hz. This will free up even more bandwidth and allow you to reduce ghosting without a PLUS option. 540 being half of 1080 is also an easy scale so you will have almost no jaggies.

Let me know what you find and have fun,

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Craig,

I changed to 720p96 last night and it works really well. I think I adjusted the right timing setting. It had been 110 and I changed to 610. I checked one movie and no longer have banding on the top. Smile. Before that I had the banding minimized via the 3d pot on the moome. It already looks better than I expected.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarseneau wrote:
Thanks Craig,

I changed to 720p96 last night and it works really well. I think I adjusted the right timing setting. It had been 110 and I changed to 610. I checked one movie and no longer have banding on the top. Smile. Before that I had the banding minimized via the 3d pot on the moome. It already looks better than I expected.

VActive should be set to either 720p or 540p. VTotal is the parameter to which you should add 500~550 lines. After that, set VFront to about 125 to recenter the image in the raster. You can also set HTotal to 1600 or less (if you go to low you will start cropping the image) and set HFront to 80 and HSync to 40. After that, put on a 16x9 3D movie and set the Moome delay so that the transition is pushed just off the top of the screen.

If you decide to have me add the 3D output to your Lumagen than you can use some of the more powerful Lumagen 3D adjustments. With the Lumagen 3D output you can go to MENU > OTHER > IO SETUP > 3D Glasses > and you will find settings for 3D delay and polarity. In the Lumagen you then set the delay so that the transition is just off the top of the screen and you set the polarity once and then it will remain correct and you don't have to worry about it again. You can then also set a different delay of 2.35 wide screen movies. This is done under styles and is an offset to the primary 3D delay that you set first. For this you play a 2.35 movie and then go into styles and set a new 3D timing offset there. This will virtually eliminate ghosting on 2.35 movies if you do it correctly.

The G90 really does an excellent job with 3D so you should be very happy with the end image.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: