Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Gamma setting without colorimeter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Gamma setting without colorimeter? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
If you dont have a colorimeter,what would be the best/easiest way to setup gamma on the moome card to get it as close as possible to a correct setting?

Best regards
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press 0 on the moome remote, and adjust your brightness looking into the lenses where 2% ire is visible, and you dont light up the rest of the tube face to much.
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply, does it matter what the contrast is set to when doing this and do I need to turn down gamma all the way? I´m asking beacuse I think that the gamma is going back to where it was set twhen you realese the 0 button.

Best regards
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its best not to use the Moome gamma option, thats why you have to press 0. Then its reset to standar/ no gamma correction.

What moome card, and what display are you running.?
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Ext Full HD v.3 connected to HTPC and a Barco 1209.
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way what setting should the contrast have. It could be quite bright looking in to the lence.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
By the way what setting should the contrast have. It could be quite bright looking in to the lence.

You will need to run contrast at around the setting you normaly use, to set brightness, you need to run a testpattern/ image like the 5%IRE window from the HD Basic disc, where you have the bars on the sides. Then you dont need to worry about the light output on the tube, as it should be very dark.

And to match the gamma on all 3 colors you most likely need to adjust the G2 level.
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]And to match the gamma on all 3 colors you most likely need to adjust the G2 level.[/quote]

This sounds a bit complicated. Do I need a colorimeter for such an adjustement?

I´m seriously considering to give up my HTPC and switch to lumagen scaler. I think it would save some headaches.

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
And to match the gamma on all 3 colors you most likely need to adjust the G2 level.[/quote]

This sounds a bit complicated. Do I need a colorimeter for such an adjustement?

I´m seriously considering to give up my HTPC and switch to lumagen scaler. I think it would save some headaches.

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards[/quote]

The Lumagen takes some time to get around, so expect to spend a lot of hjours with that one before you start to get on top.

I think you should start with a blu ray player, run direct to the moome card, and get a good grip about how to setup and calibrate your CRT before you start to make it more complex with a scaler/ processor.

To set the G2 just do as i describe above. just use the G2 adjustment on each tube instead of the brightness controle.

And you should be able to set a very nice grayscale by eye.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use this pattern if you can stand far enough away from the screen to make you eyes see the inside checker pattern match the outer border.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=426053#426053

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
You can also use this pattern if you can stand far enough away from the screen to make you eyes see the inside checker pattern match the outer border.

Athanasios

Its a nice pattern Nash, but i dont think its a good startpoint for a calibration, i would think that a reference level should be found on all 3 tubes, and the grayscale matched as good as possible before that pattern comes in play.

It wont tell you if you crush your low level details, or elevated your black level.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:

Athanasios

Its a nice pattern Nash, but i dont think its a good startpoint for a calibration, i would think that a reference level should be found on all 3 tubes, and the grayscale matched as good as possible before that pattern comes in play.

It wont tell you if you crush your low level details, or elevated your black level.

Plus that pattern highly dependent from the machine's bandwidth and pixel resolvibility, both lacking on the CRTs, so you'll end up on a false setting.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With out a meter you'll end up with a false setting no matter what.

That pattern is a good one to use in that situation.

Another is the Greyscale sweep from 0-256, the one with no bars.

And he is talking about the gamma on the moome card. That pattern changes after you did a standard by eye set up.
Adjusting the moome card with that pattern up reveals a lot.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. ill have to leave that part to you Nash, i cant do any calibration without setting a reference level first.

So its better you explain in steps how to do, so he dont get confused.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moome explains it in his data sheet for his cards.

And for Marquee by EYE set up start here

http://www.etechvideo.com/techtip1.htm

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had crt:s for a while and tweaked a lot in the beginning. The only thing that gives me a headache is colours. It can look fantastic one day or on a specific mediaplayer, but when I swich player for example from Powerdvd to Zoom player which I use for mkv files, the image becomes completly different

I´ts the autocalibration in Lumagen that appeals to me. It would be really nice just to push a button and go for a walk and come back to fully calibrated set.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
I had crt:s for a while and tweaked a lot in the beginning. The only thing that gives me a headache is colours. It can look fantastic one day or on a specific mediaplayer, but when I swich player for example from Powerdvd to Zoom player which I use for mkv files, the image becomes completly different

I´ts the autocalibration in Lumagen that appeals to me. It would be really nice just to push a button and go for a walk and come back to fully calibrated set.

If you do that you should go with a digital projector, as you with a digital correction in the chain will get the worse of both digital and anoalog in the same setup.

The big force of CRT is its native gamma response.
Murillo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw last nigt that the G2 settings wasnt in balance and needs adjustement. Do you know what settings the gain and cutoff should be before adjusting G2?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murillo wrote:
I saw last nigt that the G2 settings wasnt in balance and needs adjustement. Do you know what settings the gain and cutoff should be before adjusting G2?

This guide has a good starting point.

Athanasios

One Smart Dog!!!

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Murillo wrote:

This guide has a good starting point.

Athanasios

Nash he have a Barco 1209
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Moome Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: