Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Are you going digital 2015 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Are you going digital 2015 ? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For tv and sport events yes.

For movies NO my Barco Cine 9 will do a superb job.

What's your projector in 2015 ?

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony Qualia 004 LCoS Projector, Don't think I'll get another one this year, if I DO get any other projector, I would probably get a G90 for movies as you have mentioned (Since the qualia would be great for static images from games & the HTPC)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for tv my Sony VPL VW200 will serve me Thumbs Up

Hopefully it will last some time Cool

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you going digital 2015 ? Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
What's your projector in 2015 ?

A JVC RS56 digital projector.

Same one as last year, and the year before that! Wink ~2000 hours on the bulb so far. No issues at all.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already did!!!! Don't hate me Crabb, I bought a Marantz VP-15S1! Laughing Yes, I went dlp.

I have only played with it a little, but it is nice and very flexible on set up. It doesn't have the lumens that other pjs have, but I will manage. One of the great things about Marantz is they built their pjs like tanks. I don't think I will have any problems with it.

This should get me through the year until the next Cedia and we see what is new. My guess is there should be a few 4k pjs along with some laser/leds. Of course, that will mean the 4910 will be down in price and hopefully can be had for under $2k. Shocked

As for CRT, I am thinking of a dual pj set up with the G90 and Marantz. As El Topo is doing, I may use the G90 for movies and such with the Marantz for games and anything that needs HDMI. No I am not going to spend a couple of hundred on a Moome. I guess I have crossed my digital Rubicon. Twisted Evil

Oh yeah, I payed $1100 for the pj with 800 hours on the bulb along with a brand new spare bulb.
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Noooooo!!!!
Crying or Very sad

What was the tipping point for you in switching?
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your projector UncleWill ?

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unmodified Electrohome 8500 Ultra and a Sony G70 in storage.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleWill wrote:
Shocked
Noooooo!!!!
Crying or Very sad

What was the tipping point for you in switching?

There are two reasons. First, I don't have a dedicated theater. While I say I will use the G90, I can forsee me putting it in there and saying "Hell No!". The second is the price was good. At $1100, I could try this out and flip it if I don't like it. Worse case is I lose $200 or so.
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance! My 9500LC's tubes are still snow white and minty fresh with under 600 viewing hours on them. I have a Moome HDMI 1.3 input card on it. I have GT17 lenses and (still being tweaked for best performance) Frankenyoke IIs on it, plus an MP-modded video chain. And, finally, I have one more planned upgrade for the unit, which, if I can get it, will make my machine unique and potentially capable of resolving 1080p with an MTF value that's higher than any other Marquee on earth. No details on that until I've completed the deal and can go ahead with the upgrade.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmjohnson wrote:
Not a chance! My 9500LC's tubes are still snow white and minty fresh with under 600 viewing hours on them. I have a Moome HDMI 1.3 input card on it. I have GT17 lenses and (still being tweaked for best performance) Frankenyoke IIs on it, plus an MP-modded video chain. And, finally, I have one more planned upgrade for the unit, which, if I can get it, will make my machine unique and potentially capable of resolving 1080p with an MTF value that's higher than any other Marquee on earth. No details on that until I've completed the deal and can go ahead with the upgrade.

Wow that sounds very interesting!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bigger question is how many people are going to dump their smaller TVs for new flat panels. My brother and I were looking at the LG OLED and I love the picture that it puts out. This panel puts out pure black. No, close to or whatever, but pure black. Infinite on/off cr and ANSI cr. If the 65" was $2000, then I would have to consider dumping projectors and going with that.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
If the 65" was $2000, then I would have to consider dumping projectors and going with that.

IMHO not big enough when you consider even a 'modest' HT projector setup is typically 100-110". (All depends on how far back you sit of course).

Kal

HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
If the 65" was $2000, then I would have to consider dumping projectors and going with that.

IMHO not big enough when you consider even a 'modest' HT projector setup is typically 100-110". (All depends on how far back you sit of course).

Kal

Agreed. Now that my theater is gone, my main display is a 70" Vizio 4K LCD that's a stopgap until the price of OLED comes down. But I also want at least an 80" display if I'm going to make the jump/spend the money - one thing I miss from my theater is the immersiveness of sitting 12' from a 12' wide 'scope screen. Although a 55" OLED would destroy my Vizio in any critical viewing contest, there's something to be said for having an extra 15" of display size in a room as large as my living room (it's about 24' x 17').

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound nuts, but I feel there's also something different about a projected image instead of direct view. This may be only nostalgia however.

Kal

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also the quantum dot displays that are coming up. It seems they are easier to fabricate and also can be switched on and of. I once read that Samsung is replacing the oleds with quantum dot displays. The colour gamut is very accurate for these displays.

Just for information the word quantum is really about quantum mechanics and not a marketing word. The size of the crystal cells determines the excitations that determine the colours of the dot.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kal said cinema feeling rises with a big screen.

My planned cinemascope will be 3,6m in width.

Viewing distance will be about 4,5m.

ElTopo

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
There are also the quantum dot displays that are coming up. It seems they are easier to fabricate and also can be switched on and of. I once read that Samsung is replacing the oleds with quantum dot displays. The colour gamut is very accurate for these displays.

Just for information the word quantum is really about quantum mechanics and not a marketing word. The size of the crystal cells determines the excitations that determine the colours of the dot.

The potential is amazing, but a per-pixel quantum dot display is only a pipe dream right now. The only QD stuff even close being brought to market is a uniform backlight that can't be throttled in zones like LEDs can.

I'm not saying that what you're talking about wouldn't be cool, but they do seem to be a very long way off. I'd love to be wrong about this though!

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is something different about a projected image vs. direct view. I think that it's primarily the difference in light output vs. the area of the screen. Even high powered, very bright projected images don't have the surface brightness of any given average CRT direct view set. I think this brightness/area issue is the primary difference.

However, proper projector setup does a LOT to help matters. I have seen plenty of projector setups (CRT and other types) which had a flat, boring image that I would call compressed. Whether it's incorrect brightness and contrast settings or bad greyscale calibration or less than optimal gamma correction, the image doesn't look right. It didn't take a whole lot of experimentation with my very first PJ (A Sony VPH-722Q1, NTSC only, but actually a rather nice little machine which gave many, many hundreds of hours of enjoyable movie watching) to figure out how to juggle the available settings to make the image pop, with deep dark blacks, detail in the dark, and vivid bright highlights. This only got better when I upgraded to an 8000, and when I replaced that unit with a 9500LC (which was an 8500 before I upgraded it) then I started to think I was approaching the perfect image. The larger 9" tubes seem to be naturally more supportive of a dynamic, high contrast, detailed image.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

Kal

I guess you missed where I said small TV and earlier where I mentioned that this is going in my living room.

Also, without gain I consider an 8' wide screen to dim for my tastes with CRT. I know a lot here don't care if they are getting 1 ft/lmbs, but I like a bright image. The Oled can do 35 ft/lmbs.

HogPilot wrote:

Agreed. Now that my theater is gone, my main display is a 70" Vizio 4K LCD that's a stopgap until the price of OLED comes down. But I also want at least an 80" display if I'm going to make the jump/spend the money - one thing I miss from my theater is the immersiveness of sitting 12' from a 12' wide 'scope screen. Although a 55" OLED would destroy my Vizio in any critical viewing contest, there's something to be said for having an extra 15" of display size in a room as large as my living room (it's about 24' x 17').

I did say 65", as there is nothing bigger. Wink I have heard that there will be a 77" at CES this year. Unfortunately, LG won't be able to ramp up production this year. That means prices won't drop by a large amount. Hopefully next year they can crank them out. If this 77" is $3k at the end of the year, then I have a real decision to make. Smile

It is interesting that you guys bring up size/seating distance. I am not sure how much these panels can be pushed in size, but what happens to projection if they can do an 8' wide OLED. There will still be a market for very large screen theaters, but the pj manufacturers would be hit very hard. Ironically, my best friend thinks he has bought his last pj (JVC RS40). He thinks a flat panel will be his next large screen. The irony part is that his screen is 10' wide. I think we are at least five years away from anything that large.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: