Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Cyan and green on Panasonic ST50 Plasma

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepiecesfit

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Out of frustration for lack of CMS on my Panasonic ST50 Plasma, I picked up a VideoEQ MX. I followed the guide and got very good grayscale. All my primary and secondary colors are also spot on except for Cyan and Green. I believe this may be a display limitation but I could not shift the values to move left using Tint, Hue, Saturation, R,G, B, or the displays color temp W/B and the video processor had all these options.

Is there any hope getting the Green and Cyan more to reference values? With an automated tool such as Calman would that potentially do a better job? I am using an i1Display 2 which doesnt seem to have terrible drift that folks are experiencing. Images attached any feedback appreciated.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've split this question off to it's own topic as it wasn't a question or comment about using our greyscale & colour calibration guide, but instead a question about calibrating a particular display.

If you can't do better than that then it may simply be a limitation of your display (not sure, I've never owned it). The greens may simply push yellow. IF that's indeed the case, automating the calibration won't get you any closer on the primaries/secondaries. It simply does it for you.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
thepiecesfit

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate splitting the thread. I haven't ruled out the meter as a source of a problem yet. Based on the ISF calibrations for this set everyone appears to hit the CIE targets.

Who knows may have gotten a bad variation of the TC-P50ST50. But seeing things like this http://www.scribd.com/doc/87081224/Panasonic-TC-P55ST50-CNET-review-calibration-results I haven't lost all hope yet.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can borrow a different probe to see if the problem goes away. It's a fairly big shift however.
Does primary green appear to push towards yellow?

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
thepiecesfit

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ever so slight that's noticeable. The Cyan looks pretty off when watching something like Family Guy, Lois's shirt looks muddy due to the lack of proper cyan. But other movies look good. It's possible that with all the movie color grading things are shifted towards yellow anyway it will be hard to notice. The skin tones do look good because the Red /Blue /Yellow are pretty close to reference.
thepiecesfit

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Here is another mystery. Seeing big difference in HCFR 2 vs HCFR 3. Both set to rec709 and tried all the different color rendering formulas CIE76(uv), CIE76(ab), CIE94, CIE2000 and they all seem to match the 'reference' CIE triangle. So what to trust now? I don't know. The results are consistent. I'm debating on purchasing Calman 5 but really don't want to if I don't need to.

Here they both are. Got better results in V2 using 'Wide' color space on my tv. V3 doesn't have a PLASMA setting. What do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio & Video Calibration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: