Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

hdcp issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddbailey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: hdcp issues Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

Using MythTV & Haupg's HD-PVR for capture, Pioneer VSX-70 for AVR and DTV H20 sat rcvr for source material.
The PVR obviously uses component connection, the AVR uses HDMI, connecting both to the DTV works well, until I added "premium" channels to my line up. To record content with out getting the on screen message your equipment doesn't support hdcp etc. I have to leave the avr on 24x7 and leave the selector to view sat.

This is a real pain I don't always want to view sat tv material, and the added cost of electricity does add up.
So far the only fix was to disconnect the hdmi cable from the dtv and reconnect when I want to view sat content.

This too is a pain, having to connect/disconnect several times a week will certainly cause wear to the connectors.

It there a better way to spoof the dtv rcvr into always having a hdcp connection live? I thought the Geffen hdmi detective might provide the solution but it doesn't store hdcp info, just edid.

A few years back some one was selling a box that might have taken care of my hdcp issues, I'm wondering if any one provide a name of the product if it's still available or provide a solution to my issues?

Since the pvr has component pass through, what do I stand to loose if I go with component connections from sat to avr?

thanks
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this...

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34454&highlight=ebay+stripper
toddbailey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would be the a breaker

"... Oh, wait... some later reviews say the latest models do not strip HDCP... good thing I didn't quite pull the trigger yet, ...."
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got one here and it works just peachy ! Wink

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574906687&toolid=10001&campid=5336656890&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F271562944003%3F_trksid%3Dp2055119.m1438.l2649%26var%3D570388384542%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT

Link updated to support our forum at no additional cost to you
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom.W wrote:
Just got one here and it works just peachy ! Wink

Looks exactly like the one I have from a few years ago, and it works most excellently. Solved my HDCP handshake problems, and should do exactly what's being discussed here, too. Not much to risk to give it a try for less than $20, plus an HD PVR 2 for $150.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
toddbailey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTV HBO AND SHOWTIME are enforcing HDCP. I even have hdcp issues with a direct connection to a newer projector from time to time. Like when I turn the monitor off but have a recording in process or scheduled for a later time. I'd prefer not to waste hard earned cash on a product that may not work. I have enough junk drawer items and need a bit more than a wink and a nod. Also I don't have a hd-pvr-II I have the original version that does component only, but off topic. I need to be able to turn off the avr or change input selections with out the dtv having a fit over lost a missing hdcp signal. I doubt a $20 splitter is going to work as needed, I suspect it just passes the hdcp signal back to the source device.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddbailey wrote:
I doubt a $20 splitter is going to work as needed, I suspect it just passes the hdcp signal back to the source device.

You can doubt all you want. That's what I thought, but my system was such a disaster, $20 was nothing to me. I ordered one and tried it and found out I was wrong. The $25 stripper thread that Tom linked you to above is an 8-page thread with numerous posts from people (including me) who have ordered one, tried it, and reported back that the box does exactly what people said it does. Flip through that thread and find my post... I detail how I had numerous problems in my system and the box solved them all. My system went from a blood-pressure-raising anger-inducing forehead-vein-popping pain in the ass, to working exactly as it should - with the simple addition of one of the ebay strippers.

But, whatever. Feel free to doubt us if you like.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddbailey wrote:
DTV HBO AND SHOWTIME are enforcing HDCP.

PVR-2 + splitter via HDMI = no problem
toddbailey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply ecrabb, I will certainly re-read the full posting. Any chance your are using a dtv hd receiver with any of the premium channels?
Those are the only channels I have hdcp problems with so far. The other channels I subscribe to are not problematic

Tom.W As far as the PVR-2 goes, from what I've read so far there is no support or drivers for mythtv or rather the linux os. Out of curiosity, what OS are you using to connect the your pvr-2 with?
toddbailey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best solution is also the easiest to implement, dump hdmi all together and just use component from dtv to pvr and onto avr.
since dtv doesn't broadcast 1080p content, well, ok rarely, why bother with the hassle on hdmi, drm and hdcp?
toddbailey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddbailey wrote:
Thanks for the reply ecrabb,

I was unable to find an active listing for this product, nor a mfg and model number, can you share this ?

thanks

Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddbailey wrote:
Thanks for the reply ecrabb, I will certainly re-read the full posting. Any chance your are using a dtv hd receiver with any of the premium channels?
Those are the only channels I have hdcp problems with so far. The other channels I subscribe to are not problematic

Tom.W As far as the PVR-2 goes, from what I've read so far there is no support or drivers for mythtv or rather the linux os. Out of curiosity, what OS are you using to connect the your pvr-2 with?

Windows 7 64 bit
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddbailey wrote:
toddbailey wrote:
Thanks for the reply ecrabb,

I was unable to find an active listing for this product, nor a mfg and model number, can you share this ?

thanks

I already provided a link to the proper splitter. Got one from this guy 2 weeks ago for a friend and it works perfectly. There is no brand name they are made in China then rebranded by various sellers.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574906687&toolid=10001&campid=5336656890&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F271562944003%3F_trksid%3Dp2055119.m1438.l2649%26var%3D570388384542%26ssPageName%3DSTRK%253AMEBIDX%253AIT
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: