Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

CurtPalme.com presents: Private Home Theater Tours

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-RS56

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: CurtPalme.com presents: Private Home Theater Tours Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Order today! GO

Go inside 28+ different enthusiast home theaters from across the country and hear from the owners themselves with this series of video tours. Over 10 hours of video content.

For years we've seen home theater pictures in magazines and websites, but we've always wanted more. We wanted to hear from the knowledgeable theater owners first hand, listen to their design challenges, learn about their equipment choices, and hear about their experiences.

This video package brings 28 home theaters directly to you. You'll get to hear from the owners themselves as they open up and discuss their thoughts on everything about their home theater, including:
  • Why did they build a home theater in the first place?
  • How did they design their home theater?
  • What went into their equipment choices?
  • Did they build their theater themselves?
  • What would they do differently next time?
  • And more...
These are not home theater tours of the rich and famous. These are every day home theater enthusiasts who are extremely passionate and knowledgeable about their hobby. Many have built their home theater themselves from the ground up. Only the actual owner of the theater, discussing the theater with you, can really give you a complete tour.

28 home theaters are covered, in over 10 hours of video content:
  • The Curt F. Theater (runtime 20:43)
  • The JoeRod Theater (runtime 19:54)
  • The Geordon P. Theater (runtime 35:03)
  • The Pete D. Theater (runtime 25:32)
  • The Pete D. Two Channel Room (runtime 16:38)
  • The Cliff B. Theater (runtime 17:35)
  • The Jeff M. Theater (runtime 42:54)
  • The Itai B. Theater (runtime 16:34)
  • The Ron K. Theater (runtime 17:47)
  • The Randy M. Theater (runtime 36:14)
  • The John V. Theater (runtime 37:01)
  • The Garen J. Theater (runtime 28:51)
  • The Craig S. Theater (runtime 4:58)
  • The Steve C. Theater (runtime 19:44)
  • The Shawn W. Theater (runtime 11:55)
  • The Justin B. Theater (runtime 18:01)
  • The Jason M. Theater (runtime 15:19)
  • The Bud K. Theater (runtime 30:08)
  • The Nate S. Theater (runtime 20:51)
  • The JJ M. Theater (runtime 27:20)
  • The Darren W. Theater (runtime 27:25)
  • The KJ L. Theater (runtime 21:14)
  • The Craig B. Theater (runtime 21:58)
  • The Jeff J. Theater (runtime 43:37)
  • The Mike T. Theater (runtime 8:16)
  • The Gary G. Theater (runtime 13:06)
  • The Art S. Theater (runtime 27:12)
  • The Grant O. Theater (runtime 32:33)

Pictures

FAQ

When do I receive my downloads?
You can start to download your videos right away. After you order, you will return to the site here to create your account. All paid subscribers will have access to the Home Theater Tours download index page. On that page are the theater videos for you to download.

Can I stream these videos through my devices?
No, the site is not designed for streaming the videos, they are for download to your device only.

What is the file format of the videos?
All the videos are standard .MP4 files with a two channel audio mix.

Are the videos HD or SD?
For now the videos are SD.

Are these videos different than the videos that are part of The Ultimate Course on Designing and Building Your Dream Home Theater?
Yes, these are entirely different. Those videos (in the course) are experts and videos discussing the design and construction of a home theater. The videos in this series are tours showing home theaters and listening to the owners discuss their own home theaters. The videos, in this series, are exactly as you see in the trailer above.

Is this still a monthly series, or do I get all the downloads at once?
This was originally a monthly series, but we have decided to provide access to all videos at once at a reduced price. Most people will not be able to download all of them at one time, considering the sheer volume of the files to download, so you can come back as much as you need to complete your downloads.

Order today! GO

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mildly curious how someone who has bought and paid for this series actually gets to see the videos. I vaguely remember at the time (about a month ago) that it refused to link me through, because it claimed the user name I tried to use was taken (it was, since I had bought the Course a few years back), but the password was wrong (which it wasn't). After 3 or 4 tries, I finally just gave up in disgust.

I just tried logging in now, and it accepted my name and password fine. And all the old stuff still seems to be there. I assumed the Home Tours would be in another section. But in spite of there being at least two sections conveniently titled Home Theater Tours, neither has anything to do with these extended videos (a really smart move on the part of the series creator... NOT). I did manage however, to eventually find a link where it would be happy to sell me the series again.

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Did you try contacting the support email? The owner (Ritesh) can assist if you have any issues. They can be reached at support@thehometheaterbook.com. Let them know it's not obvious too. They need feedback like this (I like to hear it too). Definitely don't give up. If you paid for something, you need to be given access or be refunded. Simple as that.

I agree that the user experience isn't overly intuitive. I had similar head-scratching moments when I first signed up for everything. In the end the content was interesting (I enjoyed the HT tours videos since I've known of or known of a lot of the people in the videos), but it could have been easier getting there as you mentioned. I've mentioned it a couple of times now that the user experience could be "improved" a bit. Avoids emails/confused individuals.

Kal

VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

thanks for the suggestions. I did send off an email inquiry, but being a holiday weekend, I'm not expecting anything before next Monday. Not a big deal I guess... I haven't been able to see anything for a month already, so a few more days won't hurt.

I just had a bit of free time to watch, and wondered if there was something obvious that I was missing. It's kind of weird to buy something, and have nothing to show for it besides an email with an OrderID (and the bill). The email doesn't even have a link or anything. Just "thanks for the money". I didn't have that problem with the Ultimate Course materials, some years ago, and wasn't anticipating a bewildering and frustrating experience on this.

It's certainly not something I could, in good conscience, recommend to someone else (not reflecting on the content, in any way). I was honestly hoping there was something foolish I was missing, because as it is, the logistics of it seem really horrible.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going back through the pages of materials that I do have access to, and found this description:

"After you purchase at PayPal, there is a link to return to the site here. You MUST click that link and come back to the site. When you do, you will be automatically prompted to create your unique username and password.

Do not put this step off until a later date/time, it must be done at the time of purchase. If for some reason you are unable to come back to the site
[wow, seriously?] and create your username or password, please email us (remove the spaces): Support @ TheHomeTheaterBook.com and we will help you with username and password issues."

I'm guessing the Tours are handled in the same way, and since it refused to let me create my username/pw at that time, I was SOL. So, in other words, they've created a basically broken system. Apparently I was supposed to create a brand-new "user name" with them, even though I have one already? I don't get it. It recognized my user name, told me it was in use, and that the password was wrong (which it wasn't). Heck, even the HTB site has "issues". I'm logged into the Members section, click on the Edit Profile link by my name, and I'm tossed out to the Home page. ??

[Oh, and none of the above explanation is ever visible for the Tours, once you leave that web page. I'm only seeing it in the FAQ section of the HTB. AFAICS, there's no such explanatory material for the Tours promotional gateway.]

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comments Tim. I didn't have this experience as I was simply given access to my existing account so that I could review the content for suitability before featuring it here... I've send an email off to the owners to make them aware of your posts and this possible loophole so that they know about it.

Kal

VideoGrabber

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kal.

I got a reply from Ritesh around 10 this morning, which was nice. He manually changed my 'access level', so it's working for me now. Still no clue how I would have gotten it working by myself, but I guess it's a moot point now.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and BTW, it turns out having 'access' doesn't mean I actually get to watch anything. Sad

Looks like a 20min video is going to take about 2 hours to download. Maybe Amazon's servers are getting hammered today, because I have a 50 MBit downlink here.

(I thought perhaps this might be a Firefox thing, since that's been operating pretty poorly in the last 10 Versions or so. So I switched to IE. It seemed a bit better at first... it started out at ~4 MBit/s, but has now dropped to well under 2 Mbit. So, still, long enough I just killed it. I'll try again another time.)

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been vocal about negatives, I thought it only fair to post a positive.

I gave it another try a little while ago, and a ~490 MB download came down in about 4 minutes. Not bad. Could have been up to 2-3x faster (capacity on my end), but way better than earlier (about 30x faster). 4 minutes is viable. 2 hours is not. So, not complaining now.

On to the content!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VideoGrabber wrote:
Still no clue how I would have gotten it working by myself, but I guess it's a moot point now.

I emailed him to make him aware of this possible loophole - hopefully it's something they can fix.

Kal

rdalal16

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: TheHomeTheaterBook.com Reply with quote

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments about the website and the issues that you may have experienced. This is something we are working on as we speak and I am aware of the issues that continue coming up on the site when a purchase is made. I'm usually on top of emails though so if you ever do have an issue getting your material, you can always email me at Ritesh@TheHomeTheaterBook.com and i'll take care of it for you.

In regards to having to create another username if you've already made one before on a previous purchase, that is an on-going issue that I've noticed since we took over the business. I will have our team work on that and will post back on here once that issue has been resolved.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to email me personally and I'd be happy to assist you.

Thanks!

Ritesh

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: