Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SONY G90 red 88 code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: SONY G90 red 88 code Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anybody know if the 88 code is sometimes repairable?

Friday I picked up a local G90 and figured I had a really good deal since it was working at the sellers and all 3 tubes showed 0 wear. Had it home and was setting things up but after running for about an hour it kicked into an 88 code. I cycled power and the 88 went away but kicked back in within 5 minutes of running. I have my original G90 to borrow parts from and tried swapping the DALLAS chip on the YA board but still had the 88. So at this point I can run the 'new' G90 with the YA board from the 'original' G90 using the DALLAS eprom that has the setup for the 'new' G90 but it seems the 'new' YA board won't run. IC421 on the nonworking YA board has batch #003a01e which I know from other posts is the bad batch of IC421's.

So I'm kind of mystified as to why the 88 code suddenly materialized since the timer showed about 15000 hours. The CRT timers had the same last 4 digits as the total timer but from the tube wear it doesn't seem like the hours are for these tubes as there isn't even a 4:3 pattern on them.

Do these act intermittently at first and then finally go out? Is IC421 always the cause or can something else on the YA board (that is fixable) be the cause? Why would it be working at the sellers and then quickly develop for me?

I'm not too bummed about the purchase since I can use the tubes and other parts in my working PJ but definitely a shame to not be able to use the projector with the 88 code.

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Rounds is the only guy that can fix this. Not cheap, but worth it. It's some other chip problem AFAIK, but don't expect Craig to give away his secrets. He won't even tell me. Smile
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame him for not sharing Smile. I emailed Craig yesterday so hoping to hear Monday if there's hope.
hal

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that dallas chips are married to each YA board. When the Dallas chipset battery start to fail, you get the 88 code. I was getting on a intermittent basis. My recommendation is to buy a NEW Dallas chip and install it. Use the instructions on the internet which shows you how to reset the the chipset. Once I installed the new Dallas chipset all error codes stopped..

Edit: If the new Dallas chipset doesn't fix the error code, then you might need to send the board to Craig.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/1475508-vph-g90-88-error.html
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dead battery in the dallas chip causes a code 30. A red code 88 is hazardous to the machine. Tube damage can result in trying to use the projector with this code coming up. Do not use this projector (or the YA board) until it is repaired.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Mac said! The CPU is crashing, and I have seen spot burns caused by this error.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarseneau wrote:
I don't blame him for not sharing Smile. I emailed Craig yesterday so hoping to hear Monday if there's hope.

In the meantime, pull all of your power boards from the upper back half of the projector. Clean all the connections. Rest of the boards, pull and reseat.

Post your results if you can.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
A dead battery in the dallas chip causes a code 30. A red code 88 is hazardous to the machine. Tube damage can result in trying to use the projector with this code coming up. Do not use this projector (or the YA board) until it is repaired.

Yes, don't turn the G90 on again until you have this fixed. If the projector throws an 88 while running it will often spot burn the tubes.

Inspect your tubes with a flash light if you got the error 88 while the G90 was running. You may or may not have tube damage. If you got the 88 while the G90 was in standby than you are definitely safe, just don't turn the projector on again until the board is repaired.

I'm going through Friday and weekend emails now and will get to yours soon I am sure.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
jarseneau wrote:

In the meantime, pull all of your power boards from the upper back half of the projector. Clean all the connections. Rest of the boards, pull and reseat.

Post your results if you can.

Thanks for the pointers and I'm definitely not running the bad YA board anymore.

Not sure if it's related but to get the projector downstairs I had to shed some weight on the projector by removing the power supply boards and the CRTs. Everything went back together fine but I wonder if it led to some instability that whacked out the YA board, hopefully in a repairable way. That might explain why things worked at the seller's.

Things ran fine for hours yesterday with the good YA board with the PJ's DALLAS eprom. Nothing shakey at all in picture or menus. No sign of any lines on the tubes as I've had a really close look with test patterns with some white screens. The PJ does have a musty smell. I was told it was in a vacation house with an $18k rear projection screen setup. I'm guessing it sat in an enclosed space with the mirrors and likely by a lake. Only there for when the grandkids wanted to watch a movie. Smile

I'll be going through the connectors today with De-oxit cleaner.

CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to waste time trying to diagnose this particular problem. The only thing that can cause an error 88 on a G90 YA board is for the computer system to be crashing. This problem is on the YA board and is not fixable by any simple means Sad

I don't think you did anything to cause this problem. Furthermore, error 88 can be fickle. By this I mean that sometimes you will get error 88 every time you plug in the G90. Other times however you may go months without getting another error 88. This is why the projector had no trouble at the seller's location. It's even possible that this is the first time the projector ever threw an 88.

I will say this though, once you get one error 88 you will get another and another and another. Eventually you will be watching the G90 when it throws an 88 and then your tubes will be ruined. Don't mess around with error 88 if your tubes are good!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
hal

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, what are you charging to rebuild/fix the YA board?
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hal. It depends on the problem and the state of the YA board. Please email me with details and I can give you a quote.

Best regards,
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, wait. Are you saying you can fix the YA boards or just certain problems on the YA boards?
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything but the IC421 issue of a shaking pix with eventual shutdown. Craig is DA MAN!
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Craig is DA MAN! Got my YA board back Thursday and no more 88 code. Everything looks great except something is off for the H-LIN RGB adjustment as I can't get the left side equal to the right. The range of adjustment looks similar to normal but even at MIN H-LIN, the right is just shy of correct. At MAX the right starts to curl instead of just compress. I've tried swapping the D boards located in the bottom of the PJ between the yokes but no change with that. I'm going to try the boards on the lid next but need to wait til I have more time.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of this Jerry, because of the bending your describe. Did you center your image in the raster? If the image is too close to the edge of the raster the geometry functions won't work well or properly, especially on the right side of the screen.

Also, glad you are happy with the YA work. It was a pretty straight forward repair because your board dropped 88 errors frequently. The difficult boards are the ones that only throw 88's on their own every few months or so. That can be hard to track down.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Well that was easier than I thought Reply with quote

Today I swapped the E board on the lid and the H-LIN problem went away. When I put the original board back the problem was still gone. So I've since cleaned all connections for the 3 lid boards with de-oxit and that also got rid of some left side ringing bars when doing 1080p. I'm a pretty happy camper at this point.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

I would take a hard look at all the solder joints on the E board. You can see the underside of the E board without taking it out of the projector. Just remove the plate on the projector lid that is over the E board and have a look with a magnifying glass and bright light. Also note that the cover plate has three holes in it for you to be able to pass an allen wrench through. You can use those to adjust the width coils if you are adventurous.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
jarseneau

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Excellent!

I would take a hard look at all the solder joints on the E board. You can see the underside of the E board without taking it out of the projector. Just remove the plate on the projector lid that is over the E board and have a look with a magnifying glass and bright light. Also note that the cover plate has three holes in it for you to be able to pass an allen wrench through. You can use those to adjust the width coils if you are adventurous.

craigr

Thanks Craig
Projector's been running fine for a week now. I checked the solder joints on the E board and they look good.

Today I did your fan mod to replace the little fan by the PA board with one of the large 'Silent' fans that I had after installing the SilenX fans at the rear. Really makes things quieter as the original little fan is very whiny. One thing I did differently was to re-install the PA board brackets that support the middle of the board with the 3 outer rivets Normally they are held in by 3 rivets on either side of each bracket. This shifts the 2 brackets out 1/2 inch each, putting them out of the way of the fan. Temp and airflow feels better than stock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: