Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

909 Stack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoot

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
huggy wrote:
Well I pulled out the old stewart Ultramatte 200 from storage to see if there was even the slightest possibility of using it.

Heh, I did the exact same thing on Tuesday. Unrolled a used screen that I bought around 15 years ago just hoping it was in decent shape so I could point an old Ampro at it. I didn't see any bananna in the case.....perhaps I should ask for a refund. Razz
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana was an option, you need to tick the box Laughing
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huggy wrote:
ElTopo wrote:
Wohoooooo another 909 stack Thumbs Up

How many others are there? Very Happy

Errmmm.... One?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are some in Europe.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:

Probably f***en heaps!! But i havent seen them post on here Laughing

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Halliday has a 909 Blend in England. He hasnt worked on t in a while tho. He told me recently he plans on getting back to i this winter .

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been awhile since I have looked at Stewart's perf screens. I didn't really like them that much, but I am not a fan of AT screens except the Seymour Enlightor 4k. IIRC I did look at the Stewart screen at Cedia and the rep said you could not see the perfs. So, I did a quick test. I walked back and forth to see what distance I could see the perfs, which I think was around 8 to 10 feet or so. The rep then replied that you couldn't see them at regular seating distances. Rolling Eyes I believe Seymour's XD screen was around the same. Personally, I would like a margin of error if I were going the AT route.

I know you are looking at Seymour's XD material. Cliffy's room is real dark and the weave isn't that noticeable. Of course, I don't believe I ever did a comparison with a regular screen in his theater. It would have been an interesting comparison. Maybe the next CRT showdown. Wink
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
km987654 wrote:

Probably f***en heaps!! But i havent seen them post on here Laughing

I could be wrong but Yeah those guys seem to drop in to pick up some information and have a dig at people here and there but no sharing Thumbs Down
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
It has been awhile since I have looked at Stewart's perf screens. I didn't really like them that much, but I am not a fan of AT screens except the Seymour Enlightor 4k. IIRC I did look at the Stewart screen at Cedia and the rep said you could not see the perfs. So, I did a quick test. I walked back and forth to see what distance I could see the perfs, which I think was around 8 to 10 feet or so. The rep then replied that you couldn't see them at regular seating distances. Rolling Eyes I believe Seymour's XD screen was around the same. Personally, I would like a margin of error if I were going the AT route.

I know you are looking at Seymour's XD material. Cliffy's room is real dark and the weave isn't that noticeable. Of course, I don't believe I ever did a comparison with a regular screen in his theater. It would have been an interesting comparison. Maybe the next CRT showdown. Wink

Well I was initially considering 4k, but then the xd was recommended due to it's higher gain. My seating distance for a 12 ft wide screen will be about 15 ft. Do you think I'll be ok at this distance with the XD or should I play it safe and go the 4k? My problem is is that If I see the perfs once while watching a movie I'll forever be looking for them. My room is completely dark similar to cliff's I suppose.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 feet is probably fine, but don't quote me. Your best bet is to get a sample. I have some somewhere, but I have no idea where it is.
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
15 feet is probably fine, but don't quote me. Your best bet is to get a sample. I have some somewhere, but I have no idea where it is.

Yeah you're right, I'll ask Jon for a sample of both then decide. In the meantime I'll make the frame for the screen, whack the ultramatte up and make do with swiss cheese Very Happy
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These 2 are the worst of the lot, it's not this bad in person due to flash however, the wear doesn't make sense, there is no wear pattern, nothing, the whole tube has same colouration, what gives?

Dave

20141121_154726.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.63 KB
 Viewed:  4070 Time(s)

20141121_154726.jpeg

20141121_154658.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.44 KB
 Viewed:  4070 Time(s)

20141121_154658.jpeg

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either they ran max tube face for very long hours at low outputs or the glycol is stained. The blue on the second pic looks to have stained glycol, since its clearer in the center.

How many hours on the sets?

The OZ Theatre material have a 1.3 gain.

huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial thoughts were stained glycol as well but these were maintained by Barco Technicians whom I know.
The sets have 22 k hours on them, yikes! Very Happy

Dave
km987654

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the tubes don't have many hours. The stained glycol could simply be from some sort of contamination in the LC tank particularly if the tubes were replaced using the original tanks rather than switching out the entire unit with the LC tanks. I would have said exposure to reflected sunlight but how would you get that in planetarium?
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was sunlight id expect it to be rather uneven, and probably have buggered C elements.

I know they were well maintained, i spoke in some length with Phil about them on the phone, but they were indeed sitting unused for a long time!!

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you SUCK, and yes, the glycol is bad. When getting projectors from planetariums, they're projecting black all the time, so there's little tube wear. Watch for pinpoint phosphor burn from stars and planets though.

In January I'm getting in 9 Barco 1209s from a planetarium as well. Some have new tubes, others will have slight wear. Will get my 909s running, and will sell stuff CHEAP! Smile
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
If it was sunlight id expect it to be rather uneven, and probably have buggered C elements.

I know they were well maintained, i spoke in some length with Phil about them on the phone, but they were indeed sitting unused for a long time!!

Phil is a great guy, I must admit I've drained that guy of tubes boards pjs etc over the last 5 years lol. In total I've got 4 sets of Lugs plus 8 909's off him over this period. The one I'm still burnt over was the cine 9 I missed for 1500 going back 3 years.
huggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
you SUCK, and yes, the glycol is bad. When getting projectors from planetariums, they're projecting black all the time, so there's little tube wear. Watch for pinpoint phosphor burn from stars and planets though.

In January I'm getting in 9 Barco 1209s from a planetarium as well. Some have new tubes, others will have slight wear. Will get my 909s running, and will sell stuff CHEAP! Smile

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The first thing I checked was star and planet burns but none have them, all the pjs seem to have the tainted glycol in one or more tubes, I guess this means all the tubes in all the pjs are minty Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Oh and ffs, get your thread up to date, I need something to follow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got nothing new to report other than the Onkyo receiver is back from extended warranty repair. Nice, for only having spent $30 on a remote for it. Very Happy

I am crazy busy with sound quotes and installations, and may have a big job to be done by the end of December. If so, no holidays for me, and no time to work on the stack until Jan..
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: