Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Star Wars: Despecialized Edition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Star Wars: Despecialized Edition Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've tried to download a copy of this but it's been beyond frustrating; links not working, invitation requests not answered, problems with jdownloader, etc. Has anyone here obtained a recent copy of this?

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have them on a drive somewhere, but I'm pretty sure they were only ever released in SD. I believe they were high-quality captures from laserdisc. Is that what you're after, Justin?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, these are 720p comprised of multiple video sources to restore and color correct the original trilogy:

VIDEO SOURCES:

1) STAR WARS Episode IV A New Hope Official Blu-Ray 2011 (Preliminary colour correction by You_Too)

2) STAR WARS 2006 Bonus DVD (sourced from the 1993 Definitive Edition Laser Disc Master - upscales by Dark Jedi, You_Too and Harmy)

3) Star.Wars.Episode.IV.A.New.Hope.1977.720p.HDTV.x264-DON (2004 DVD Version)

4) STAR WARS 1997 Special Edition (Reivax DTV capture)

5) Custom mattes, 35mm and 70mm film cell scans etc.

6) Team Negative1 35mm LPP print scan of the Mos Eisley sequence

7) Puggo Grande (1977 16mm print transfer)

Here's a link to a documentary about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to email Dillon (Seegs). He mentioned that it had some issues. I don't remember what they were right off hand.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see this edition.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it on my setup and the quality is quite amazing when you consider how many sources it had to come from and the colour timing work that had to be done.

Here's a video of the work that went into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

The official forum thread is here:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/topic/12713/

It's an interesting read - the thing most people will be interested in is the comparison gallery of all the changes:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109609428403596349302/albums/5932164278535972945?sort=1

These guys aren't screwing around. I'm no fan of most of the edits that Lucas has done over the years, but they've gone to painstaking detail to remove *everything* - many of which I never even realized were done. It's not just about making sure Han shoots first.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This shot really makes me want this new edition

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's allot of unfukafizing they did to restore that.

CRT.

HD done right!
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Wow, that's allot of unfukafizing they did to restore that.

Yeah these guys are doing a lot of re mastering. Look at how much detail they returned from the BD version!!

I never realized how much was lost to Black Crush.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
These guys aren't screwing around. I'm no fan of most of the edits that Lucas has done over the years, but they've gone to painstaking detail to remove *everything* - many of which I never even realized were done. It's not just about making sure Han shoots first.

Kal
well there's nothing about SW that's going to make me go out and buy any more versions, but the idea of "de-Jacksonizing" LOTR would be pretty awesome too.
Imagine no Elves at Helms deep, Faramir doesn't kidnap Frodo, etc.
Only issue I see is copyright infringement. Aren't these guys risking a massive law-suit or jail-time by doing this?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I've seen it on my setup and the quality is quite amazing when you consider how many sources it had to come from and the colour timing work that had to be done.

Here's a video of the work that went into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfLX_TMduY

The official forum thread is here:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Harmys-STAR-WARS-Despecialized-Edition-HD-V25-MKV-IS-OUT-NOW/topic/12713/

It's an interesting read - the thing most people will be interested in is the comparison gallery of all the changes:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109609428403596349302/albums/5932164278535972945?sort=1

Kal

Amazing when fans do a better job at restoration than Lucasfilm. IMO, the color correction is the reason to pursue this not the edits. I didn't realize how screwed up the BD was until I saw the documentary.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very curious what my best friend's sister in law thinks of this edition. She worked for THX and did the transfer to DVD IIRC. Once he gets done this week messing around with the kiddie shows Arrow and Flash, I will ask him.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'm no fan of most of the edits that Lucas has done over the years, but they've gone to painstaking detail to remove *everything* - many of which I never even realized were done. It's not just about making sure Han shoots first.

Oh God yes. I saw SW:ANH dozens of times over the years. I pretty much knew every frame. When the "improved" version came out, it was jarring to see all the stuff that got added in & changed. All kinds of CG creatures and vehicles showed up that were never there before, and they didn't improve or enhance the movie at all. It was just visual noise.

I think Lucas just got enamored with the new toys and wanted to throw them in everywhere. Maybe that's actually the way he envisioned it when he made it, but with the 1970's tech and his limited budget he just couldn't do it the way he wanted. But I preferred the original version.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree, but most of the edits haven't bothered outside of the stupid Hans shot first edit. I've thought that someone should do a parody where everyone in the cantina shoots before Hans. Wink
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just talking to my best friend and apparently Disney is planning their own despecialized version. While this one is cool, I think the official Disney theatrical release should be the really good one.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I was just talking to my best friend and apparently Disney is planning their own despecialized version. While this one is cool, I think the official Disney theatrical release should be the really good one.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/movies/disney-release-original-unedited-star-wars-trilogy-blu-ray

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/movies/disney-release-original-unedited-star-wars-trilogy-blu-ray

Nashou

There's a "DOH!" moment for the crew that did the Despecialized edition!

CRT.

HD done right!
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was a joke. Not actually serious. It takes some serious nerds to do something like this, but it is very impressive.

One of the guys at the William's meet in October brought this on his computer. The file had over 15 different audio tracks including the original 70MM surround, the stereo version, the mono version, the LD version, various commentaries, and other things. The total file size was about 26GB. It can be found online via torrent.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part do you think is a joke? I hope you didn't think it was Disney redoing the original. Disney paid a lot for Lucas and will try to monetize it anyway possible.
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney reissuing the original versions. All of those rights are still owned by Fox.
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: