Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sound bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorrel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Sound bars Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I want to start of a bit of a debate my wife does doesn't want any speaker wires around the house so she advised me to buy a sound bar what are your thoughts on them.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, know sound bar is just a sound bar... The general rule here is: the bigger the better. The biggest problem is the little base width of the two sides, meaning limited stereo soundstage especially far away from the sound bar.
You may want consider ribbon speaker cables that you can hide under the carpet, or there are wireless active speakers like Dynaudio XEO (they still need a power cord though).

View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound bars Reply with quote

Jorrel wrote:
I want to start of a bit of a debate my wife does doesn't want any speaker wires around the house so she advised me to buy a sound bar what are your thoughts on them.

When they make a sound bar that sounds as good as 7 actual speakers then you can buy one. Until then run flat wires along baseboard or better yet under baseboards or carpet edges. Just make sure not to put a nail through the wire when you are putting it all back together.

If you own the house look at in wall speakers. You can get some with invisible grills. Once mounted you only know they are there when they are on.

There are always options.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also BES inwall speakers that are made of styrofoam. You paint right over them, so they become invisible. Not sure if they are still in business, but you might be able to find some used ones.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your listening pleasure, movie or music? While separate speakers are always better, 80% of a movie soundtrack is from the center channel. I haven't auditioned that many soundbars, so your best bet is to go and listen to a couple.
Jorrel

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
What is your listening pleasure, movie or music? While separate speakers are always better, 80% of a movie soundtrack is from the center channel. I haven't auditioned that many soundbars, so your best bet is to go and listen to a couple.

I'll like watching movies
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably get away with a soundbar depending on how picky you are. Match it with a good sub though.
epatsellis

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
There's also BES inwall speakers that are made of styrofoam. You paint right over them, so they become invisible. Not sure if they are still in business, but you might be able to find some used ones.

Now marketed as Sound Advance, go ahead and price a set for a theater, she'll reconsider quickly...on second thought a quick Googling doesn't bring up their website anymore, probably defunct now. Great speakers, if used within their limits, bitch to install and get them totally invisible, though.

erie
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about using 6 Bose sound bars in my ceiling. Two for centers and 4 for side and rear. I am really convinced that I can get a great sound this way without having to wire walls. I will still use my infinity towers and a sub up front. But I am seriously think about this. I know I know. Ok Crab let me have it! lol
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not go with inwall or ceiling speakers?
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Why not go with inwall or ceiling speakers?
Low ceiling and only 2 inches between drywall and concrete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: