Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

State of Blending/Stacking - Anything New?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: State of Blending/Stacking - Anything New? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After going to Dr. Dog's meet, I was curious how far blending and stacking have progressed over the years. Cliff and Curt are the two stacks that I know of. William, Nash, Antorsae, Tim and Boilermaker are the blends that I know of.

I know William is using a new Analog Way box, but I haven't heard of anyone using anything new. Has there been any upgrades to the TV One line? Any new hardware out there that makes blending/stacking easier? How about PC software?

Of course, I am kind of baiting here. Last week, I saw someone on AVS mention a company called Aflex5D in relation to stacking. I looked at their webpage and see that they have several products. The AF5D-60 is mentioned as their edge blender with a retail price of $4750, but it looks like it can be had for considerably less. At least I think it can based on the pricing from the US distributor Elite Screens.

Another company that I ran across is VNS, which has a product called the GeoBox. The name really peaked my interest, as Geo is the name of a company that has a chip that I saw in action at you know who a couple of years ago. After watching the video, I thought it looked promising. They have two products for blending. The 502 is for a regular flat screen two pj with a cost of $1100. The 104 is a single pj box, so you would need multiples. It can do curved screens and looks a little more advanced with a cost of $750. Finally, it isn't listed but they have a 302 for $600. This box is 8 bit and doesn't do scaling or de-interlacing like the 502.

I didn't get the price for the stacking boxes. The Aflex looks like it is around $400 street for the A5FD - 20. The GeoBox I would assume would probably be in the same ballpark for the 301.

http://aflex5d.com/products/60-series
http://www.vnstw.com/en/products_view.asp?ID=134&BKID=68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2uI4-6SLk
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be interested to know if anyone has done anything using AMD Eyefinity or a simular multi screen nVIDIA setup.

It'd be reasonably easy to go a 4 machine hard egde setup using the right digitals, but not sure if you can soft edge with those video cards. Hard edge with a bunch of CRTs would probably be quite a battle, it the edge wasnt perfect it'd be easily seen.

Using four of those really nice JVCs would be an interesting setup with that diagonal shifting UHD they have...

The nVIDIA i have in my main machine can do 4x 1920x1080 at over 60Hz, it can also do 4096x2160 at 60Hz via displayport and still do three other 1920x1080 displays, as well as 4096x2160 at 60Hz via Displayport and then a second 4096x2160 at 60Hz using two more HDMIs in a pair.

There are blend options, but i have not had two equal displays to see what can be done.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the company about the geo box. No CMS preset gamma values for the blend zone and limited resolution compared to the Tv-ones.

I think the PC based systems are much better now than then. Before they were not as feature rich but from what I have seen they have come a long way.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone releases a box that provides sufficiently granular control over the blend zone it's a moot point. If/when that happens it could become interesting.

Two PJ's always means twice the problems. I'd like to see a really well done 11'-12' wide Torus screen prior to ever attempting blending/stacking. If the image is bright enough and you can keep the seating inside the sweet spot it might work. Seems with the Torus that people either love it or hate it.

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
Two PJ's always means twice the problems.

Yes, double the trouble. Also, double the size, double the noise, double the heat, basically double the impact on the room. With stacking, you get degraded MTF and still sub-optimal phosphor usage. With blending, great MTF and phosphor usage, but you get the expense and hassle of trying to make the blend zone invisible (and stay that way), not to mention much more difficult setup and maintenance.

I highly respect the "geeky awesomeness" of CRT blending and stacking, and it's all very fun to look at and talk about, but to me it's a little like using a blown race car for your daily driver. Just give me an M3. Still very fast, but totally practical. I know you guys know this, but for me personally, the gains of the "ultimate performance" setup just aren't worth all the downsides. I'd rather sacrifice the on/off and absolute black for a smaller, less intrusive, silent, but just as bright setup.

If I were going to try a blend, I think I'd probably try the PC-based solution at this point. The Diventix is ridiculous, and even the TV-Ones are just less ridiculous. OK, they're a lot less ridiculous, but still ridiculous. I have too many other hobbies to put that much money into projectors, blend hardware, and Lumagens. Anyway, the HDMI strippers and Blackmagic cards have made HDMI inputs possible, so it seems like with the right software, you should be able to build a pretty inexpensive PC-based blend solution. My only concern would be "bulletproofness". When I want to go watch a movie, I want to grab the remote, turn the system on, and watch a movie.

With the price of some of the used digitals now, I was actually thinking about a JVC stack on a huge screen, but I don't think my next room is going to be big enough to warrant anything more than maybe a 10-foot wide screen, which a single JVC will light up just fine.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be my dream setup.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting together a 14' blend using two low hour G90's, TV One C2-7100, Nvidia Titan and Quadro cards.. Most of my viewing will be 16:9 DirecTV Sports feeds.
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
This would be my dream setup.

Not to bash the VW200 - I owned one and it is a phenomenal PJ - but for a "dream setup" there are better options available, albeit at a higher price.

And do you own those seats? That's the exact model I have from my theater - although I turned off the LED cup holder lighting because it was way too bright and destroyed my black levels. Great HT seats though, and very comfortable.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nash,
Does the ANALog Way have CMS gamma? I don't remember William playing with anything like that. I remember him engaging the soft blend and then doing a calibration for each pj.

Any software solutions out there worthwhile? I found a couple, but didn't look to closely at them.
http://www.edge-blending.com/products.htm
http://www.ventuz.com/products/director.aspx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfjxI7H2sQ

Crabb,
I know what you are saying. It is why I asked the question to see if blending has gotten easier and better. I know CIR thinks they are a pain in the a$$. Having watched Williams's set up, that thought wasn't dissuaded although there were extenuating circumstances.

I don't think you would need to double up for the JVCs with a 10 foot wide screen. Dillon's 4910 lit up William's 12 foot wide SMX screen just fine. He was using an anamorphic lens though. You can see the pic on the meet thread. Having said that though, the Geobox might actually do a good job stacking.

Jason,
I personally like Torus screens. Not only do you get the added brightness of a high gain screen, but you also get much better uniformity. I am not sure what screen material is available. The old material of choice was the Vutec Pearlbrite. Interestingly, I think the Geobox warp engine would help a lot with a Torus screen.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Sparky. I was thinking of stacking with like a 13- or 14-foot screen, but I had visions of grandeur about how big my room could be. I know better, now.

Which seats are those, Hog? They look like they have nice thin arms, and the cushions don't look like the Sta-Puf marshmallow man - both attributes I desire.

Thx,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there are other digitals out but the Sony i have is nearly new.

Will be used for sport/tv.

The blendend 909's are for movies only Cool

This would be my favourite seat (but too expensive i think):
http://www.architonic.com/pmsht/5400-hollywood-figueras_proref/1163903

@hal: Why 16:9 ? Only for sports ?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky, No one will make the needed functionality a CRT blend need because there are too few CRT blends which require a perfect blend zone. Seos is the only one I know of that had an adjustable Gamma in at 6 ire's IN the blend zone as well as an over all CMS.

Gordon, who came to see my blend, works with FPGA's and Color. So he ordered a FPGA and will work on a CMS dedicated to just the blend zone. I asked him all we really need is greyscale and Gamma adjustment at 21 zones and have an adjustable zone where the blend zone will be. This unit will have to go after the Tv-ones I would think. We'll see how far that project gets.

But after seeing my Blend he is determined to do one himself.

nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I thought William said he just needed to do a calibration on each pj and that would take care of the blend zone. I may have misunderstood him though.

Speaking of chairs, as soon as I got back from the meet I purchased two Roche Bobois chairs along with a couch. They need some work, but damn are they comfortable.
hal

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo, DirecTV is mostly 16:9.. Sports> football, hockey, Nascar For movies 2:34.. I don't have the height in my room so I need to install blanking and narrow up the 16:9 screen a tad. Running 2:34 I'll run the full width.
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Right, Sparky. I was thinking of stacking with like a 13- or 14-foot screen, but I had visions of grandeur about how big my room could be. I know better, now.

Which seats are those, Hog? They look like they have nice thin arms, and the cushions don't look like the Sta-Puf marshmallow man - both attributes I desire.

Thx,
SC

They're the Berkline Reno series (12003), with power recline. The trays that mount in the arms hide away into compartments in the arms. I found the padding to be comfortable - a nice balance between firm and pliable. Great seats, with lots of options available.

SC
HogPilot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Sure there are other digitals out but the Sony i have is nearly new.

Will be used for sport/tv.

The blendend 909's are for movies only Cool

Like I said, I definitely wasn't bashing the VW200, it throws a gorgeous picture. It's one of the few circa 2007 projectors I'd consider owning still, especially at the price you can get it for.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok, Nash. I think I understand what you are saying. Go to the 12 minute mark of this 15 minute video. Is this what you are talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfjxI7H2sQ
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed by this solution: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36160&highlight=macbook+blending
Nash did you give it a try as well?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is to bad that Matrox can't step up to the plate. They have a new card coming out, but it looks like their Powerdesk software will only blend with no gamma control or even soft edge.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/m_series/powerdesk/
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/c-series/
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pc blending solution might be too much trouble ?!

OS, driver, ......

A standalone blender like a TV ONE C2 might be more plug'n play.

ElTopo

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: