Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Sony VPH 1251Q, Help no picture for a tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbmorris2001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Sony VPH 1251Q, Help no picture for a tube Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello everyone, I'm new here and hope that someone can help me with this problem. My father has said this is one of the best boards for help, and the most friendly people.

So here is the start: A few months ago I bought a Sony Multiscan projector, VPH 1251Q, Superdata with a nice hard case and all the cables that you could every ask for. I got the projector home and unpacked it and set it up and everything worked fine at first. As I was going threw the set up I found out that I could not get all the all the color alignment. So after doing some reading I found a mod that I could do to the lens to allow easier alignment. I started with the lens on the left looking at the lens. I pulled the lens out and added washer, spring, washer and then put the len back into place. I then set the lens into what what I was thinking would be close and started the projector.

This is where things went wrong, Started the projector and the lens I just worked on did not work. Turned everything off, unplugged it and then open the case. That is when I found out that the tube was unplugged. Plugged it back in and put all the stuff back together and started it up and nothing from that tube still. Again tore it down and make sure everything was put back together, everything was right. Started the projected again and still nothing from that tube.

So how bad did I screw it up? Can I fix it for a fair price? What is the damage that I have done? If it is the tube where can I buy used tube so that I can test out that is the problem, A cheap tube to test on?

Currently working on

Sony
Multiscan Projector
VPH-1251Q
SuperData
jbmorris2001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Recently moved to Kingsbay from memphis and had to leave a barco 808, and 2 electrohomes. If any of these would be able to help rebuild my sony, or would be better then the sony please let me know. The Barco had so many hours on it that the picture could never really focus so decide to leave them, that and I ran out of space. Yes I still can pick them up and will be able to till the end of this month. Please let me know what to do about the Sony, or if I should switch to one of the others and spend the 200 dollars in gas to go get the other ones.

Currently working on

Sony
Multiscan Projector
VPH-1251Q
SuperData
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model Electrohome?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
jbmorris2001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Electrohomes are the EPC 3000 and a 3100. The 3100 something was wrong with it and the 3000 I never did anything tested because I had the Sony. If I remember right the 3100 worked great beside one of the tubes acted like it was almost burned out.

I love the Barco 808 but after 2 weeks working on it and looking around I found a tech in Memphis that worked on them. The tech came over looked at it and said that the projector came from a flight simulator.. And it looks like the tubes are show the hours, but the lens are good. He then told me that I would be looking at about 2k or more to replace just the tubes. He also said that with out sitting down and really learning the Barco I would be able to get close but not perfect.

The Sony had a good picture and everything worked great. It was a little hard at first but after a few hours I figured it out and was off and running. Well it was great till I screwed up.

Currently working on

Sony
Multiscan Projector
VPH-1251Q
SuperData
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Forget the ECPs, they are not worth the gas money, and get a Marquee 8500 with nicer tubes. When those tubes get worn down you can drop in nine inch tubes and lenses; then you have a plan looking out ten years
jbmorris2001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the electrohomes so I think I will stay away from them. I love the sony, like the barco but tubes where just to much.

So if anyone has any idea how to test the tube, or where to get a known good tube that is cheap that I can use to test the projector please let me know.

Currently working on

Sony
Multiscan Projector
VPH-1251Q
SuperData
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't test the tube, but it's also not bad, guaranteed. I'll bet you bent a pin over on it when putting the CRt socket on the back of it. Check that, that will cause a dead tube.
jbmorris2001

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you every much, I will be taking it apart in apart minutes and hope that you are right and that it is that simple to fix

Currently working on

Sony
Multiscan Projector
VPH-1251Q
SuperData
jbmorris2001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you so much... I spend a few hours today working on it and you where right, there was a pin bent on the bottom of the tube. Fix the pin and put everything back together and it works. So thank you again...

Saturday will be movie night and the kids are looking forward to it.

Currently working on

Sony
Multiscan Projector
VPH-1251Q
SuperData
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: