Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 2008 Ultra Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
redfox001 wrote:
Ok if I understand you well you say you make the normal fans in the belly turn slower but compensate by putting suckers on the Horizontal and Focus modules. Also you blow and suck extra air through the neckboards.

I think the neckboards are overdone. The other idea might be something to try if I want the Marquee to be more silent. To be honest did you think of this yourself because if it works it might be something we should have thaught of long ago Very Happy

You are correct about the HDM+FGM and the neckboards. They only get an extra boost along the way and the airflow from them shouldn't counteract the belly's at a lower speed. It should work. There are rumours ways to do this but sort of made up my mind to keep simple but effective.

And you might be right about them being overbuilt and that just 1 fan vertically could be enough for the VNBs.. but overkill is always fun and I did go from 120mm to only 92 with leaves me with an itch. Smile

Cool about the JVC air-tunnel covered in felt like that.. that could be an easy one to make also to help keep the noise down. If I find something appropriate I think I'll do that to. Thanks!

I don't think though anyone has done it like this before if that is what you are asking me. It's usually comes down to cooling the back end off the heatsink and to me that seems backwards.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the fans from my Barco quieter by making a ring of cork between the fan and the frame. The fan was tightly coupled to the frame that way and turned out to be quieter than a loose coupling with rubber. Some resonance went away. Also there is a simple metal plate just in front of the fans where the blow out. The plate takes care that there is no direct path for the sound to the outside. I used material on the plate but than the machine ran hot. Just a metal soundshield might work.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have picture to go with your thinking that would be great as I don't know how Barco looks inside.

And while we're still on the subject, I will say that I plan for even more fans but UV once. They will be for looks only at the top lid + back lid. The light probe needed to make them glow can be adjusted with a fan controller to make them less bright if needed.

They will match the colour I picked out for the exterior as well.. Smile

I may need to reverse them at the top lid otherwise they could be counter-productive for the real good once. They also come in a extra thin version so they should fit nicely under the top lid. And if they become overly-bright I could use them for mood changer while watching TV. Essentially making my pj a lamp! Laughing

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=2&id=35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTD4jTiBwE
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these fans really quieter with the same airflows as the old ones? I remember someone did measurements and the new fans where quieter because they had lower airflow. In the end they advised to buy the NMB standard fans. But these video's on youtube are cool seems they have magnets that should make the ball bearing quiet.

You can measure airflow with a big plastic bag and timing how long it takes before the bag is full I read ones.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cougar belly fans I found to almost as noisy as original 24 volt once. I was very disappointed with them.. but it could be that they have much better air pressure than say Silent Wings and as such making them more noisy. I think of it as air turbulence that comes with a certain rpm and not so much the fans itself. All the more reason to add more and just lower the voltage. I've seen that with the bag too.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a picture of the cork beneath the fan. It is only a small strip on the edge. On the complete edge so no air can get through.

And here is the metal plate in front on the fans but I removed the cork on it because with it the barco ran hot.

Also the fans on my modified Marquee LVPS are attached with tyraps on a damping material softer than cork. I think that is the way to dampen resonances of the fans themselves.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea with cork, and as the FGM+HDM aluminium housing are pretty sloppy, and could start to resonate with fans on them, I might need some form of reinforcement. If I find a proper plastic glue I'll do the narrowing down on green chamber soon. It's just that everything has to come off and I have been putting it off for a while now. But if it goes to all sh*t I have another chamber I could use.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrowing of the chamber is now finished, but on the spare one that I have, and turned out better than I expected. I counted on 5 mm, but ended up with 8, so 25mm fans should fit there now. I need to get some proper glue to seal everything first and then move on with the openings on HDM+FGM housings later.

Oh, and I need to make a bridge, or an opening right next to the FY, because once the tube is installed the cables gets in the way if I ever needed to get them out again, stock once looked alright to squeeze in there though.

Last edited by thewolfman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He I still don't get it what you are up to....

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are being sarcastic, I don't see what's there not to understand.. it's a fan attached to left side side of the HDM and a fan attached to right side of the FGM.. but there's only a 15-20 mm gap there to fit them. No there's maybe a 27mm gap witch should be enough for a 25mm thick fan instead of cheating with a low pressure 14mm slim fan. I will Dremel the out air-intake on their respective housings some day.. the neighbours can only handle so much noise on one day. They are meant to blow air inside them rather then sucking it out.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I get it now. You are sucking more air between the tubes and need more space so you can fit a fan on top op the HDM? It is not so easy when you only see some pictures but perhaps you explained already. I did not understand.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you also keep an eye on the VIM and CLM? They are cooled from the belly fans Wink

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No positioned vertically sliced in-between green the HDM and FGM. IT's tight, almost no room at all, but that's the challenge with it to. Smile

But having them on-top would be better of course but then the fans gets much much smaller, and the top chassis might not allow it to be fully closed doing so either.

Btw, I got word from MP today, saying my stuff is on the way, and yours, and should be shipped out by the end of this week. Like you, I'm also getting 160Mhz neck boards. I think I'll be fine with that as I never use 1080p anyway but only 817p. And I think it looks fine already, when it's fully functioning.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CLM + VIM will get there's too some day, seated in the empty slot above them, but for now I'll let them sweat it out a while longer.

Last edited by thewolfman on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! 1080p@72 = 150MHz I think so they do more than enough.

Will I have to forward anything?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I don't think so, I said you and I could talk it over via mail, with your suggestions, if the darn sync issues should still remain.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfff ok so we can all relax and have fun!!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you can, I still need more parts to make it start over my silly mistake I caused a while ago. But I'm very excited about it, that's for damn sure. And yet, at the same time, worried that the shaky image I had before will still be there. But I have some options now to figure it out why its happening. New timings, as mentioned before, and/or a stand alone bluray player, for like 50 Euro, and test how 1080@60Hz looks like. If it shakes then too then something else is wrong. We'll see.

Ok, time for a nap.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
At least you can, I still need more parts to make it start over my silly mistake I caused a while ago. But I'm very excited about it, that's for damn sure. And yet, at the same time, worried that the shaky image I had before will still be there. But I have some options now to figure it out why its happening. New timings, as mentioned before, and/or a stand alone bluray player, for like 50 Euro, and test how 1080@60Hz looks like. If it shakes then too then something else is wrong. We'll see.

Ok, time for a nap.

Well your mistake is less silly than mine where I caused spotburn on a tube Embarassed Everybody's got to learn sometime Very Happy

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Mounting fans close to the tubes might not be the best idea. The fan's pulsating magnetic field could have an effect on them. I once tried mounting fans on top of the FGM and HDM cages and it resulted in some significant wobble in the picture. I could avoid that only by mounting them further away and by directing the airflow via specially constructed ducts.
I'd suggest testing everything thoroughly before mounting the projector...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13
Jump to: