Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee 2008 Ultra Build
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Marquee 2008 Ultra Build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yeah, my Ultra parts are here, and I have to say it, they really look super-clean and new to me. I can't believe they have thousands and thousands of hours on them.. especially the neck boards look all new. No filth at all.

Anyway, parts arrived neatly tucked in, with only one neck board damaged with broken pins and a loose cap, other than that everything else was intact. I bent the pins back, and can always use one of my old once for the time being or until I soldered a new one on there, which even I should be able to do.

VV2 top.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  277.95 KB
 Viewed:  9793 Time(s)

VV2 top.jpg

Last edited by thewolfman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check the VNB to make sure they are for your Tubes. Some VNB's with the add on fans( like the cages in your picture) are for P16 tubes. I think the G2 for that tube is like an LUG pin 6. But I am not 100% certain.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that thing took a hit! USPS is getting pretty bad lately, but at least the case turned up intact! I was far more concerned about it than the boards. Let me know if you need replacement caps, I have lots!
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was pretty beat up I'll tell you. If the box was custom made and new it sure is soft and worn now. No tax though and delivered all the way to the door.

I can take a picture from the neck boards I have and you be the judge whether they are of the same sort or not. I would like to change because mine are really worn and filthy. Solder joints look brown on some bits as I recall.

But thanks for padding them up so good, it 's not your fault one got damaged, one of those things that happen.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Double check the VNB to make sure they are for your Tubes. Some VNB's with the add on fans( like the cages in your picture) are for P16 tubes. I think the G2 for that tube is like an LUG pin 6. But I am not 100% certain.

Nashou
based on the pic Curt posted of the 8510's it looked like they use P16LNN tubes which is a marquee pin-out with G2 on pin 2.
Curt where was the white wire on these when you pulled them off?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin 6
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys.....would Ultra boards do anything for me? My PJ is hanging from a low ceiling already and is middle screen level with the lenses.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Congrats. I think the neckboards are the same as mine. Mine has number 50-2038-01p. My parts also look very clean as new.

See they still had some ERO pink caps on your boards. On mine they placed a replacement cap. Does not matter.

I wonder what color that case will end up Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a working unit now, along with a working moome card to, it turned out to be the VIM card that was toast. Thank God for that.

But mixing Ultra with none Ultras is just not working for me, as of now only the VIM card is working. I need the rest of the boards + LVPS and HVPS to get here because changing CLM got me no image and not even a menu. All I got was running lines up and down. A red lamp at the back of CLM said "H fail". There's also some audible noise when mixing boards so I'm going to leave it alone for a while. Clearly the motherboard needs to be changed and all the rest after. Hopefully it will work a little better then even though back plane boards are not here yet.

It will be fun going to work with the casing soon to, Redfox. Some day. There's a lot of sanding and filling in scratches that needs to be done first before doing anything else.. Smile
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading something that the ultra has extra controlls and need a different motherboard and backplane with more connections?

Guess you have to rebuild from scratch.

Very good that your Moome is still working!!!!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think yours will work before mine. I took a little detour with vga solutions but that did not work out for me. Back to the game!

Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
But mixing Ultra with none Ultras is just not working for me, as of now only the VIM card is working. I need the rest of the boards + LVPS and HVPS to get here because changing CLM got me no image and not even a menu. All I got was running lines up and down. A red lamp at the back of CLM said "H fail". There's also some audible noise when mixing boards so I'm going to leave it alone for a while. Clearly the motherboard needs to be changed and all the rest after. Hopefully it will work a little better then even though back plane boards are not here yet.
there are some very late model boards that don't mix with earlier hardware, but it's not an Ultra issue, it's a VDC issue. the extra "Ultra" geometry controls were added by christy digital sometime in 1998, and you can add those to any older marquee by having the right CLM chips, focus geometry module, and jumper wire on DPB and CVA.
VDC did some very special programming to the chip on the HDM daughter board, and it wasn't even on all their machines but only those built for special simulator app's. I remember Scott saying there is an CLM with special software that "looks" for matching data on the HDM daughter board. So the 2 need ot be used together. Do a search for Marquee Longbows (special 8500's built for Apache flight simulator), and it should be there. here's one of the threads

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19086&highlight=

redfox001 wrote:
I remember reading something that the ultra has extra controlls and need a different motherboard and backplane with more connections?

Guess you have to rebuild from scratch.

Very good that your Moome is still working!!!!
I've converted 1996 marquee's to Ultra no problem by just swapping the mobo, never the backplane. the Ultra Mobo is from 1998 and newer without the white jumper wires soldered on top or the ribbon cable adapter.
Ultra has nothing to with power supplies or video performance, it just gives you 2 or 3 extra geometry controls.
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are some very late model boards that don't mix with earlier hardware, but it's not an Ultra issue, it's a VDC issue. the extra "Ultra" geometry controls were added by christy digital sometime in 1998, and you can add those to any older marquee by having the right CLM chips, focus geometry module, and jumper wire on DPB and CVA.

VDC did some very special programming to the chip on the HDM daughter board, and it wasn't even on all their machines but only those built for special simulator app's. I remember Scott saying there is an CLM with special software that "looks" for matching data on the HDM daughter board. So the 2 need ot be used together. Do a search for Marquee Longbows (special 8500's built for Apache flight simulator), and it should be there. here's one of the threads

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19086&highlight=

Ok, good to know. Thanks. And for your information, my problems has been reduced to the big DB board and the chip U7 V5.6. That's the culprit. I thought it was malfunctioning at first but is becoming clearer now with what you said.

Anyway, I have made the swap now, and it's running fine with the new neck boards and a mixture of old and new CLM parts. I'm actually still using your modded HDM, Dragan, and it works, but may need to change it when all the parts are here like you said. I have 3 different CLM, and the new CLM behaves very different with each of those DB:s. One even makes the LVPS to go out with a ticking sound. That may be because some CLM require the fans to be connected? I have them all unconnected and run them from an external source to lower the fan speed to 9V.

Sub brite on blue and red works though.

The FGM had to be removed, but got to see some new features before I had to take it out. But the pj sits almost in the middle and I want to raise it 4 more inches to make tubes levelled and aimed at the screen mid point and not the chassis. Some day.

Before I had contrast and brightness set to 65, on both, but now it's 65 on contrast and about 18 on brightness. I'm going back and forth to find the old settings as it was very bright early on.

And I really like the new casing. I almost having second thoughts about vinyl in a different colour as I envisioned. Black is cooler than I thought..

CLM U7 5.6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  741.12 KB
 Viewed:  9533 Time(s)

CLM U7 5.6.jpg

NECK BOARDS.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  516.8 KB

NECK BOARDS.jpg

BACK END.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.51 KB

BACK END.jpg

RIGHT BACK.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.86 KB

RIGHT BACK.jpg

FRONT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.02 KB

FRONT.jpg

FRONT LEFT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.87 KB

FRONT LEFT.jpg

RIGHT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.03 KB

RIGHT.jpg

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah your old neck-board is bad, it has the undersize capacitors on the power rails and the big resistor is starting ot burn the board at the top connection. Good thing you bought new ones. Luckily this one thing VDC did fix
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He that is a big bad ... Laughing

Nice!

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
Ok, good to know. Thanks. And for your information, my problems has been reduced to the big DB board and the chip U7 V5.6. That's the culprit. I thought it was malfunctioning at first but is becoming clearer now with what you said. Anyway, I have made the swap now, and it's running fine with the new neck boards and a mixture of old and new CLM parts.

Hehe, cool...
The replacement DBP (with U7 V5.3) was one of the spares that I had refurbished and modified. I recognize it from the green round sticker and the white "2" sticker. Glad it works for You!

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barclay66 wrote:
thewolfman wrote:
Ok, good to know. Thanks. And for your information, my problems has been reduced to the big DB board and the chip U7 V5.6. That's the culprit. I thought it was malfunctioning at first but is becoming clearer now with what you said. Anyway, I have made the swap now, and it's running fine with the new neck boards and a mixture of old and new CLM parts.

Hehe, cool...
The replacement DBP (with U7 V5.3) was one of the spares that I had refurbished and modified. I recognize it from the green round sticker and the white "2" sticker. Glad it works for You!

Regards,
barclay66

Cool! I hope the v5.6 chip will work later when the last remaining parts are here. The best part of it is that I got improved sharpness with these neck boards, and even got rid of that smeared section that always plagued me on the mid half of left side. It's always been there before but gone now. The sides and edges really cleaned up very nicely to. Smile
cosaw

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, you sit central, under the pj. Wink I like your thinking, best seat in the house - that's the way I'd do it too! Yes, jack the back up to negate the tube/lens angle (although it already looks less than on a Barco) to use full phosphor area and zero keystone that was my thinking too for a perfect install!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosaw wrote:
I see, you sit central, under the pj. Wink I like your thinking, best seat in the house - that's the way I'd do it too! Yes, jack the back up to negate the tube/lens angle (although it already looks less than on a Barco) to use full phosphor area and zero keystone that was my thinking too for a perfect install!

I agree, best seat in the house. Smile

Well, almost, even if I raise the front by like 2-2,5 inches and maybe 4 in the back to make tubes levelled, my head will just about go under it - or not - but a recliner outstretched mat solve that. That's the long term plan anyway. And also make Uni-struts, just like Redfox has done recently, to also be able to back up the projector sometimes. Custom porches and all that forces me to redo it often because it doesn't fill up the screen, but other than that perfectly centred in the screen rendering no use of phase at all. That isn't always the case, because sometimes it's off to the right or left and I get banding with phase. It can't be a coincidence. The other thing I want is a Bosh Quigo 2 laser to make everything super straight to the mm on all axles.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewolfman wrote:
[ The best part of it is that I got improved sharpness with these neck boards, and even got rid of that smeared section that always plagued me on the mid half of left side. It's always been there before but gone now. The sides and edges really cleaned up very nicely to. Smile
half the improvement people get from the HD mod's is the neck cards since a lot of them look like your old ones. Getting them back to proper condition is step 1 , filtering some of the noise is step 2 . Look at your old card, the black heater voltage wires carry a lot of noise and they're smashed flat down onto the video signal circuitry. VDC puts a spot of glue there now (other pic), but really the wire should be put on the other side and a choke added.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Jump to: