Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Masking the halo of an AC projector

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melifluonze

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Masking the halo of an AC projector Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I could have sworn there was some thread about adding a stray light mask into the optical path of an 8500, like a black disk with a hole in the center. Just like the iris of a camera, when stopped down, gives you better (sharper, more contrasty?) pictures.

Can't one add a disk like this to the lens system? Or is the halo effect created right in the glass of the front of the tube?

I bet there's some kind of a little trick...

And, suppose you stack four 8500 Ultras... does stacking them reduce the halo, or is it just additive and it shows up anyways?

- Melifluonze

We STILL don't need no stinkin' 7.1!
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've had a few sets in where black matte paper blocks all of the tube face but the used area of the raster. It will block some of the halos, but not all.

You're just going to outdo my stack, aren'tcha? Smile
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... If I never, ever post about it... then it doesn't really exist, does it? Oh wait... I just posted...

It'll take me forever to do anything (if you haven't noticed), but the HT hobby is swinging back into place now that winter is coming.

What about glycol in the 8" tubes... can you replace the glycol in the front of the 8" AC tubes with the tinted stuff and improve color?

*goes off to search threads...

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The halos are caused by light reflecting back off the rear lens element on the lens, back onto the tube face and lighting up the phosphor. It's also a cumulative effect, meaning there isn't just one bounce; that bounce happens several time until it fades out. An LC setup avoids the most glaringly (excuse the pun) visible part of the problem by using a convex lens, so any light that does reflect back toward the tube face is spread out over a much larger area. So, instead of an obvious halo, it just has the effect of reducing ANSI contrast with a mostly invisible visible "halo" larger than the screen.

There's no way you could use any kind of disc as an aperture because you'd have to do it inside the lens. If you could disassemble the lens and insert an aperture, the net effect would darkening the halos, but also reducing the overall light reaching the screen, and CRT ain't so hot in that area to begin with.

NEC XG LC projectors had some small strips of tape added at the top and bottom of the C-element. I assume the engineers tested and found some improvement (I'd guess a small overall increase in ANSI contrast), or they wouldn't have bothered with the modification in the first place. I was always going to do the mod on my G70 to see if I could see or measure any difference in ANSI, but never got around to it.

It would be very easy with an AC projector to cut some nice black PVC (or PVC with black Fidelio velvet laminated on) to fit between the tube face and rear lens element. It would definitely be worth trying, and I'd definitely do it if I still had an AC projector. I'm not sure how much it will reduce halos - probably just a little at the top and bottom of the screen - but it would be worth trying.

Wait. Hold on… Not to be cruel, but if I had an AC projector, I'd be looking for an LC projector. Seriously. Biggest upgrade you could possible make. 8-inch LC machines are damn near free these days, and would be a huge step up in image quality over an AC machine. The halos alone are with the trouble of upgrading. That's my two cents, anyway.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said... And I'm running LC as my primary projector (9500LC Ultra), but...

I'm a hardware junkie and Nash got me all worked up on the blending thing with his threads, so I went off and bought a bunch of 8510's (like Curts) and some TVOne video scalers.

I'm going to fix up the 8510's a bit (bad tubes in ALL of them... ) and try some scenarios just to see where things go.

It's really cool that this stuff has finally come down in price enough to experiment! It's a dream come true!!!

- M

Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND... Curt... I see your thread! You're stacking freakin' Barco 909's... I'm just stacking little 8" Electrohome toys...

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tubes for those 8500's. From my 8500's but they are AC tubes and i think yours have P16's. Is that what the 8510's have? I thought curts were 8 inch LC tubes? If they are P15's we might have to look at the VNB's and move the jumpers for the 180DMB's of the Marquee's I have.

When can you come down to see the blend? its only an hour away !!! drive down one day we can watch a flick then you can be home by midnight.

LOL
'

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stridsvognen did this a while ago, spent a fair bit of time on it, made some claims, had a debate, then went back to LC.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure they're AC. They're the 8510 Ultras.

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Stridsvognen did this a while ago, spent a fair bit of time on it, made some claims, had a debate, then went back to LC.

I did, it was a experiment, and i documented how much the light output dropped from masking the area of the tube face not used, and blocking the stray light from tube to tube.

It did not take much time douing it, i spent much much more time debating it than douing it.

I can only recommend douing it, and its quite a improvement, not sure how LC will improve from the masking, im planing on douing it one day.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre projection on a white wall with no dark boarder and all other walls/ceiling are light colours, it wont be worth the effort either way, better off spending far less effort painting some darker colours to reduce reflections of light off room surfaces.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have LC lenses and when there is a black background with white letters to the side the letters mirror readable to the other side of the screen. Very clearly visible. Is this normal? Is asked before but noone reacted so I think noone knows what I am talking about? It is disturbing Sad

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, its not normal at all. Ive not seen it myself, better look to see you have glycol in there!!

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
No, its not normal at all. Ive not seen it myself, better look to see you have glycol in there!!

That is a good suggestion. Perhaps the glycol is old? I was afraid the coating was missing somewhere but I could find no scratches or traces of damaged coating so glycol that must be the answer.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be empty!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Streaking. Older Marquee VNB's did that if the main input caps were going bad.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal

Last edited by Nashou66 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the ESR meter out and have a gander...

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
I have LC lenses and when there is a black background with white letters to the side the letters mirror readable to the other side of the screen. Very clearly visible. Is this normal? Is asked before but noone reacted so I think noone knows what I am talking about? It is disturbing Sad
I think Nash probably guessed it, is this what your seeing ?

View user's photo album (2 photos)
barco_75

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stridsvognen can you post the link of the debate? I'm curious what the properties of the material you used and the technique followed. I'm pulling my tubes now, so maybe I can try it.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barco_75 wrote:
Stridsvognen can you post the link of the debate? I'm curious what the properties of the material you used and the technique followed. I'm pulling my tubes now, so maybe I can try it.

Here you go..

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33918&highlight=tube+masking
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: