Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Audessey and 5.1/6.1/7.1 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Audessey and 5.1/6.1/7.1 questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK , as a continuation of my 909 blending thread, but following proper forum protocol, I've got some questions regarding how many speakers I should be putting into my 14 X 24' room. I am using this receiver:

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/SN29400329_TX-NR808_En_web.pdf

I am using it as a preamp only, my power amps are 2 X 4 channel Inter M 4960 models:

http://www.inter-m.com/en/product/product_view.asp?number=913&catecd=paamplifier

The subwoofer is bridged from 2 channels. ONce I get in more AC power, I will add more amps, as the subs are underpowered right now, never mind that most of the room is on 1 fifteen amp breaker...Smile

The questions now are, the Onkyo has a ridiculous amount of speaker outputs. Right now I'm running 5.1 speakers, three EAW 12" 2 ways across the front (PA speakers, hellishly efficient), and a pair of Mordaunt Short 8" 2 way speakers (non dipole) as the surrounds.

I'm pleased with what I'm hearing now, save for the bass, but that will fix itself once I do room acoustic work I think, and add more power to the sub. What I want to know is once I get my AT screen, should I really put in all of the speakers as per the Audessey calibration screen? I mean, there's side surrounds, rears, front high and front wide. While I have a pile of speakers, they are all different types, and I can only imagine how they might muddy the sound. Then again, since my LCRs are matched, and I have the room to put in all of the speakers (and amp channels) if I want to.. why not?

I know some people here swear by 5.1 only. I'm not against trying and playing with everything, but then again I don't want to spend a bunch of money on matched surround speakers (I will get dipole main side surrounds down the road) if I don't need to.

Opinions?
HogPilot

TV/Projector: Vizio P702ui-B3, Pioneer Elite Pro-151FD & 111FD

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had more than a 7.2 setup, and even then the number of discreet 7.1 sound tracks remains relatively minimal to this day. And all of my channels were matched, so even when I was listening to a 5.1 soundtrack, the matrixed 7.1 sounded petty good with a seamless transition from speaker to speaker.

Given the total lack of soundtracks with >7.1 channels now, and the fact that you'd be using different speakers with different sonic characteristics to add more channels, I'd stick with 5.1 or 7.1 for now. You can always add more channels in the future as Atmos soundtracks start to become prevalent.

He's mad at us for making Hog a moderator. He took his ball and went home.

SC
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about anything more than 7.1 right now. I would add the side surrounds and be done with it. There are a lot of people who don't even use a center channel, so five speakers in the front is probably overkill. OTOH you could try it and see if you like it.

I wouldn't worry about heights. In the next year or two, you will probably get a Dolby Atmos receiver. If you want to go that route, then you would need to put four speakers in the ceiling. I honestly thought a 5.1.4 Atmos demo sounded better than a 7.1 surround. Others thought it wasn't as good as that though.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I wouldn't worry about anything more than 7.1 right now. I would add the side surrounds and be done with it. There are a lot of people who don't even use a center channel, so five speakers in the front is probably overkill. OTOH you could try it and see if you like it.

I wouldn't worry about heights. In the next year or two, you will probably get a Dolby Atmos receiver. If you want to go that route, then you would need to put four speakers in the ceiling. I honestly thought a 5.1.4 Atmos demo sounded better than a 7.1 surround. Others thought it wasn't as good as that though.

Actually right now I have 5.1, so I'd be adding the rear surrounds. Smile

As for getting Atmos in the next year.. who are you kidding? Here I am, putting in a CRT projector in the waning years of both me and CRT, I should have done this years ago, so unless an Atmos comes through the recycler, I'll stick with the Onkyo. I'm on the trailing edge of trailing edge technology! Thumbs Up
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize you are a dumpster diver. Wink

I figure you will find a receiver that needs a new foot or something at the recycler for next to nothing. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: