Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Doubts dual boot XP/8.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Doubts dual boot XP/8.1 Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi! I have got some doubts with a graphic card that i have bought, a Nvidia GeForce 6600GT. After i have receveid it, i have just noticed a bad capacitor on it, i've replaced it and i tried the video card. The card works on my PC that has got Windows 8.1 but i can't install the drivers because of a problem with compatibility with the OS (and i'm ok with that) but If i use Windows XP emulated on VirtualBox, the computer doesn't see the graphic card. Looking on Device Manager, sees the card as "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)and, surfing the internet, then i found that it's normal that the graphic card isnt' recognized correctly due to some software components that i can't install, so, always surfing the internet, i found that there's this system called dual boot, i informed myself a bit on how it works etc. but i still have some doubts:
- Can i install windows XP 32-bit on a PC that has installed Windows 8.1 64-bit?
- There can be some problems with compatibilty between hardware and software, because i bought my PC few months ago and Windows XP is quite old, i mean there can be issues with that?
- I have got two HD on my PC, one 1TB and the other one 150GB. Can i install Windows XP on the 150 GB HD without partioning the 1TB HD?

Thank you and have a good day!
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this before

Disconnect the windows 8 drive and install xp on the other drive

The generic drivers are normal on any windows install without the hardware drivers

I will warn you xp has no support from Microsoft now

If you need any help let me know the make and model of the machine

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this before

The generic drivers are normal on any windows install without the hardware drivers

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:
I have done this before

Hi! Thank you for your help, i have successfully installed XP 32 bit and also the graphics card, but now i have got another problem: i can-t return back to Windows 8.1. I-ve seen on the internet that when you install another OS on the PC, a screen came out telling you what OS you want to start, but to me it doesn-t appear nothing, the PC starts Windows XP without asking me to choose between the two. Then, to install XP, i-ve followed a video that tells to go in BIOS\Advanced mode\sata configuration and to choose IDE instead of AHCI (This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as0-g0bl85A) but even if i choose AHCI instead of IDE, i can-t turn back to Windows 8.1, when it-s about to start the OS the PC reboot.

Another problem that i-ve found is that the graphic card can-t do interlaced resolution even if there-s the option to. If i choose for example 1920x1080i72Hz it says "Error custom resolution test failed".
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is windows 8 on the same hard drive as XP?
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Is windows 8 on the same hard drive as XP?

No, i have two HDD's, Windows 8.1 is installed on the 1TB one and XP on the 150GB one.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'll assume you did as E said and removed the Win 8 drive and then installed XP on the remaining drive. This is why you do not show the dual boot screen. When XP was installed the Win 8 OS was not there to be seen, even on a different drive so it was not able to create info for it in the boot.ini file.

You have a few options. One is, if on startup you have the option to select boot device you can just select back and forth which drive you want to boot up. Just select the drive to boot according which OS you want.

Or you can try an XP repair from boot while the Win 8 drive is installed. Never tried this method so I am not sure.

Or do a complete XP install, again with the Win 8 drive installed.

Or you can try to edit the boot.ini file but this can be difficult if you do not do it exactly right. There is a process under recovery to discover other OS's but it does not always recognize newer Windows OS's.

Or you can edit the Win 8 boot but you need special software for that but I believe it is free.
Which ever you decide to do, the drive with the correct boot.ini file must be set to boot first, other wise the dual boot screen will not come up.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some motherboards allow you to select the boot drive in the bios screen(mine does)

I forgot to mention that if you want to use the windows boot menu you will need to install xp first then windows 8 even though your using seprate drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: