Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Moome's new Barco HDMI 1.4 card
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Moome's new Barco HDMI 1.4 card Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Moome has a new HDMI 1.4 card now available for Barco projectors which will give you the highest quality picture possible from HDMI sources such as Blu-ray, PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, etc.

It's currently available at a special pre-order price.

Complete details here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/BARCO-FULLHD.shtm

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a very bold statement Kal!!! The highest possible??? Ive heard that before Laughing

At that price ill have to wait and see what others think.

When you say "special preorder price" you mean to say that price will go up???

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Thats a very bold statement Kal!!! The highest possible??? Ive heard that before Laughing

At that price ill have to wait and see what others think.

That statement is based on what others think.

Francisco, forum member here with pretty much the highest end Barco available (a SEOS 919 split pack with HFQ900 lenses and colored C-elements, basically a Barco 909 plus Greg E mods) has tried what appears to be every solution including Greg E's custom port 3 card with an integrated 3DFury and he posted here that he prefers Moome's solution. See the official BARCO-FULLHD thread.

I would have tried the card myself (Moome asked me some months ago) on my Cine 8 Onyx as I've tried most solutions too, but I sold it a year and half ago or so. Francisco's 909 is much a much better projector too.

Quote:
When you say "special preorder price" you mean to say that price will go up???

Yes. This is very common in the consumer electronics industry. Provide a discount for the early adopters. Moome himself has been doing it for years too.

See the BARCO-FULLHD order page for the current pre-order sale pricing and the eventual CurtPalme discounted price that we'll be selling it at once it start shipping.

Kal

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the listed specs, the only difference i see there is 4 inputs instead of 2, when compared to the V3 EXT...

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will image quality do a step up vs. EXT V3 ?[/u]

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more than 1 time offered to test the EXT. V3, and no one seems interested to know how it performs, and insist evaluating it on a CRT projector who wont fully resolve a 75Mhz pixel clock.

Peaking can behave funny, and you might very well get a betyter 1:1 with a worse dac, as noise and filtering can trow around the behavior of the signal when you have as much peaking as in the Barco.

I seen this on the G90, its not the perfect Card who perform the best, it actualy needs more filtering not to make the peaking behave to bad, also the power supply filtering seems to have effect on the image.

So its very well possible that a moome Card with a balanced filter, and low noise just make the Barco look more of what it is.

So dont expect a HDMI Card/DAC to save a verry bad analog video chain.

Im quite sure that the moome Card will deliver the most clean noise free signal from any solution out there, and also the best bandwidth performance.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No when I compare the pictures with the external moome I see three 14 bit video dacs with very likely higher bandwidth than the external that has one integrated 11 bit video dac. You see it too in the specs of the max resolution 1080p@60 for the 11 bit 230MHz dac versus 1920x1200@75 for the 14bit 250MHz dac. The min 3db point is simple further away making 1080p one on one better.

http://moomecard.com/moome-old/images/stories/moome/EXT-FULLHD/ext_fhd%20v3_20101230.pdf
http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/BARCO-FULLHD_20140921.pdf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
No when I compare the pictures with the external moome I see three 14 bit video dacs with very likely higher bandwidth than the external that has one integrated 11 bit video dac. You see it too in the specs of the max resolution 1080p@60 for the 11 bit 230MHz dac versus 1920x1200@75 for the 14bit 250MHz dac. The min 3db point is simple further away making 1080p one on one better.

http://moomecard.com/moome-old/images/stories/moome/EXT-FULLHD/ext_fhd%20v3_20101230.pdf
http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/BARCO-FULLHD_20140921.pdf

The specs of the dac is so much higher than what the Barco can do, and i still never seen the Barco do a 720P 60hz right, so pushing a higher bandwidth into the Barco just as well make it look worse.

You need to evaluate this on a monitor who can resolve a signal with a nice headroom, and who dont get trown all around depending on the noise level from the dac.

So i think its fair to say that nobody can evaluate bandwidth performance on anything looking a Barco machine, what you can do is to match components so that you make the best compromise, and thats not = you need the dac with the highest bandwidth.

Your still welcome to send me a Moome EXT V3, and ill tell you where the bandwidth role off, and if it has problems with different porch settings and timings.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I see it this way. Every step in the chain diminishes some bandwidth. The hfa1100 that are used a lot in the Barco all take lets say 0.2 db at 1080p. So having 3 of these does 0.6db. Upgrading to el5166 might give a 0.6db profit. I did that and the picture surely gets a lot better and I do not see any noise at all that disturbs me.

The input has a very sharp bandwidth that goes down to its specs -3db at some bandwidth. Haging the Mik Parker fitlers I think he makes the bandwidth totally flat perhaps even with an external moome.

My guess is that you would win 1 db by having a flat input and because the input is very sharply filtered I don't expect noise problems there.

Than you have the neckboards and there you have the problem why the Barco will not do a full 1080p. You can replace a very bad opamp there but that would require a redesign around another opamp and probable some mini board. I do not know what the singel ended end stage does but the push pull seen in others is probable better so in the end it will not be the best bandwidth even if you solve all these problems.

My external moome was modified to go internal in the 909 so it can not be tested on another machine and I need it because it gives me the best picture sofar Very Happy Better than vga and that is not bandwith but the extemely low noise but it has two very custom voltage regulators and I hope the new moome will match that.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But reading back we would have to test if the higher bandwidth at the input introduces more noise. Right now I don't see how but guess I will be a testpilot too Very Happy Perhaps Francico can say something on this?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Will image quality do a step up vs. EXT V3 ?[/u]

See this is what i want to know too before i shell out for more than id spend on an item i allready have, and its not that i dont want to believe what Kal says either, but he seems to make no real secret of the fact he doesnt think much of Greg's work, for whatever reason ( ive never seen one given, here or on AVS ), as almost every single time Greg comes here and states a claim, Kal is right on here to argue the point, having owned a Cine 8 Onyx, which isnt even in the ball park of being capable of 1920x1080p without SERIOUS reworking.

Fact is the V3 External MOOME is an obvious draw back to the CineMAX as well as other machines, its been stated by others as well as myself, many have got simular results when testing as i did.

In the .pdf manual for both this new internal and also for the V3 EXT box, the specs appear to me at a glance to be listed as the same, so im just wondering if this is better, how so, and why so?

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case/ redfox. Ill like to ask you wich one of these 2 moome cards ilustrated below, have the best bandwidth performance?

Only difference on the 2 pictures are the moome card used.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
...its not that i dont want to believe what Kal says either, but he seems to make no real secret of the fact he doesnt think much of Greg's work, for whatever reason ( ive never seen one given, here or on AVS ), as almost every single time Greg comes here and states a claim, Kal is right on here to argue the point, having owned a Cine 8 Onyx, which isnt even in the ball park of being capable of 1920x1080p without SERIOUS reworking.

Please read all the comments I've ever said about Greg's mods. I (like many others) are not saying that they don't improve the image or that they're not a step in the right direction. What we are always commenting on is how the information is presented. Greg gives hard facts like "a 600% increase in image quality" when nothing is provided to explain where that 600% comes from (for example).

I've never used or seen Greg's mods so I cannot comment at all as to how well they work.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... Wink

Kal

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 x Cine 9 in a blend = bandwidth problems solved

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Case/ redfox. Ill like to ask you wich one of these 2 moome cards ilustrated below, have the best bandwidth performance?

Ok I'll take the bite. The first is the best bandwidth no it is not the moome v3 external is it? Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than blending, is there any real benefit here if you already own a HDFURY? It''s just a signal path and bandwidth change correct?

Last edited by digitalayon on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
See the BARCO-FULLHD order page for the current pre-order sale pricing and the eventual CurtPalme discounted price that we'll be selling it at once it start shipping.

Kal
I think 300 bucks is cheap based on what I've paid in the past for moome cards. I remember when $399. was the sale price.

redfox001 wrote:
Personally I see it this way. Every step in the chain diminishes some bandwidth. The hfa1100 that are used a lot in the Barco all take lets say 0.2 db at 1080p. So having 3 of these does 0.6db. Upgrading to el5166 might give a 0.6db profit. I did that and the picture surely gets a lot better and I do not see any noise at all that disturbs me.
That's good information, I didn't know Barco used the 1100 chip.
Electrohome started using the CL449 starting in 1995, Christy, and VDC followed until they quite producing the 449 then VDC switched back to the 1100 again. Does anyone know what year that happened?
View user's photo album (2 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

Ok I'll take the bite. The first is the best bandwidth no it is not the moome v3 external is it? Very Happy

The first pic is from a old SONY moome card, maybe the one with the worse bandwidth i have.

The 2nd pic is the SONY V3 card, one of the best cards made.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
redfox001 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

The first pic is from a old SONY moome card, maybe the one with the worse bandwidth i have.

Yes but didn't you have to remove the gamma or so for it to be better bandwidth?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
redfox001 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:

Yes but didn't you have to remove the gamma or so for it to be better bandwidth?

The point is that the projector behave better with a lower bandwidth input at the specifik resolution i was running, and that you cant evaluate bandwidth performance of the moome card on a display who is not capable of resolving a very very high bandwidth.

The old moome card pictured dont come near the bandwidth of the new V3 card, and the gamma has nothing to do with it.

So i still wonder how any of you can claim the Ext moome card is the limitation, when we all know that the biggest limitation here is the Barco projector.

There must be some reason that no one have seen a 909 resolve 720P 60hz, without showing peaking distortion, no matter how long and how expensive mods they went true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: