Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Moome's new Barco HDMI 1.4 card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
redfox001 wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
I will be interested to see the outcome of that Tjeerd Wink

We have to remember that just replacing the 1100 by these 5166 might also raise the noise level. It takes much more to get it right but I will try what these will do on the neckboards.
Are you talking about the Barco or the marquee? I'm not familiar with the Barco's, but the marquee video chain is fairly well isolated and furthermore the 5166 is not a radically higher bandwidth op amp than the standard CL449 chip. Any noise that's there will not jump off the screen by simply adding the EL5166, your basically getting a a more modern chip with faster settling times IMO.
If you use a chip with much higher bandwidths, then noise does become an issue because your amplifying noise that normally would not get through. In these cases more severe changes to the circuit are typically done to isolate the chip with daughter boards and such.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks. I am going to replace some hfa1100 in the Barco but I bought some more serious material to do the job Very Happy

loep.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  294.34 KB
 Viewed:  18951 Time(s)

loep.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
...its not that i dont want to believe what Kal says either, but he seems to make no real secret of the fact he doesnt think much of Greg's work, for whatever reason ( ive never seen one given, here or on AVS ), as almost every single time Greg comes here and states a claim, Kal is right on here to argue the point, having owned a Cine 8 Onyx, which isnt even in the ball park of being capable of 1920x1080p without SERIOUS reworking.

Please read all the comments I've ever said about Greg's mods. I (like many others) are not saying that they don't improve the image or that they're not a step in the right direction. What we are always commenting on is how the information is presented. Greg gives hard facts like "a 600% increase in image quality" when nothing is provided to explain where that 600% comes from (for example).

I've never used or seen Greg's mods so I cannot comment at all as to how well they work.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... Wink

Kal

I have yes, youre all over him basically every time he makes a claim. It sure does look like there is more to it than just his stated figures. Not to say it is, but i must say i almost never ever see you jump on any one else, but youre straight onto Greg the second he posts!!

Have you ever emailed, chatted, or talked to Greg on the phone? He does not hesitate to say eveyone else's mods suck when compared to his. He lives in his own mind without giving any data to back up his claims. According to him my Vision 1 sucks compared to a 1208s2 I used to have if I let him mod it. He also hammered VDC and how he thought their tubes were considered junk. He never explained why but he did. Then he told my friend to sell his 9500 LC to buy a 1200 from him that he modded. I assisted in blocking the idea and Greg accused me of him losing money and costing him a sale. It was my friend...hello?!?! That's why I had no problem saying I would remove his "black glue" from any of his mods, posting them live, and then watch him turn red.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say something... Barco users, you're welcome!

This whole Moome Barco board started with me Mr. Green though I didn't have much to do with it after that. I talked to Moome about building a Barco card because I know he's going to do the best job possible and I thought he would make a good deal of money doing it. At this point the CRT folks that are willing to spend the most money on their CRT projectors are the 9" Barco users followed by G90 users.

Moome asked me to send a Barco input card to him to use as a template for his board. I didn't have one, but I talked Curt and asked him if he'd send a card to Moome. Curt enthusiastically agreed and sent the card. That wasn't even a year ago and the card is already here!

So Barco users, you are welcome Mr. Green I'm happy to have done the little that I did to help make this possible Mr. Green

Also, you can bet your ass that this is going to be by far the best solution for Barco projectors. The Moome EXT has always had it's issues, and I won't even start in on the HDFury lacking for this application. Let's just say that even if the Moome Barco card isn't perfect out the door, Moome will address issues and make sure that it becomes the best.

And I do hope you guys buy a lot of these cards from Moome. He deserves it with all the effort he puts in. And also, less than $300 bucks for this card!!! I mean come on, this is freaking awesome!!!

BUY THE f*cking CARD ALREADY!!!

craigr

PS I know I sound like a pompous ass in this post, that's the point. It's supposed to be funny. But everything I said is also true.

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narcissistic, pompous, vainglorious, correct calibrator Very Happy

Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Craig swears it is rare. So he is f*cking Passionate about this card!!!!

Very Happy

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve got two coming!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I`ve got two coming!

Does your girlfriend know about that? Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks Craig!! Smile

I asked some questions last night in the MOOME section but it seems more action is here, so here it is:

Will the 3D on this work straight from the OPPO 103D?

I have tried to get it to work with the external MOOME with no luck, it states in the manual that a PS3 can be used direct with 3D, so id expect the OPPO should also work.

I dont want to have to buy a radiance just to be able to do 3D straight from the OPPO!!

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

Have you ever emailed, chatted, or talked to Greg on the phone? He does not hesitate to say eveyone else's mods suck when compared to his. He lives in his own mind without giving any data to back up his claims. According to him my Vision 1 sucks compared to a 1208s2 I used to have if I let him mod it. He also hammered VDC and how he thought their tubes were considered junk. He never explained why but he did. Then he told my friend to sell his 9500 LC to buy a 1200 from him that he modded. I assisted in blocking the idea and Greg accused me of him losing money and costing him a sale. It was my friend...hello?!?! That's why I had no problem saying I would remove his "black glue" from any of his mods, posting them live, and then watch him turn red.

Yep, I have, a number of times. He hasn't told me anyone elses mods suck yet, but at the same time I don't see any others doing mods either.

And now I will personally hammer VDC for their poor customer service and inability to communicate with each other, resulting in my tubes being returned to sender when they failed to put the correct details on the package.... When communication is primarily via email, how could they possibly still manage to put the wrong email address?? I cant comment on whether or not their tubes are junk, I never got mine.

Its a whole nother story, and to be really honest, who cares. Its been and gone.

Do you see anyone else doing Barco mods in the same lines as Greg? If so, then by all means share that information with us, I will be most happy to see and hear their opinions and thoughts on what can be improved. I know there is a guy in China that is and has modded an 808 neckboard, zxh something I think is his name, and GeorgeSong was doing some interesting work with upgrading machines to 9" and 12" tubes....

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see anyone else doing Barco mods in the same lines as Greg?

Mike Parker did, for a while. I put together a website for him with all the gory details/pictures/etc (mpmods.com I believe it was). There was very little interest.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Mike Parker did, for a while. I put together a website for him with all the gory details/pictures/etc (mpmods.com I believe it was). There was very little interest.

Kal

MP Barco2 mod Thumbs Up

View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Wonder how much that had to do with the fact there was almost no high end Barco owners with any money left after buying their projector?

You still got the info? Are you able to share it with us here?

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:

This whole Moome Barco board started with me Mr. Green though I didn't have much to do with it after that. I talked to Moome about building a Barco card because I know he's going to do the best job possible and I thought he would make a good deal of money doing it. At this point the CRT folks that are willing to spend the most money on their CRT projectors are the 9" Barco users followed by G90 users.

Moome asked me to send a Barco input card to him to use as a template for his board. I didn't have one, but I talked Curt and asked him if he'd send a card to Moome. Curt enthusiastically agreed and sent the card. That wasn't even a year ago and the card is already here!

So Barco users, you are welcome Mr. Green I'm happy to have done the little that I did to help make this possible Mr. Green

Also, you can bet your ass that this is going to be by far the best solution for Barco projectors. The Moome EXT has always had it's issues, and I won't even start in on the HDFury lacking for this application. Let's just say that even if the Moome Barco card isn't perfect out the door, Moome will address issues and make sure that it becomes the best.

And I do hope you guys buy a lot of these cards from Moome. He deserves it with all the effort he puts in. And also, less than $300 bucks for this card!!! I mean come on, this is freaking awesome!!!

craigr

PS I know I sound like a pompous ass in this post, that's the point. It's supposed to be funny. But everything I said is also true.

Does this mean you are going to seek out and work on more Barcos? Twisted Evil Mr. Green
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

Wonder how much that had to do with the fact there was almost no high end Barco owners with any money left after buying their projector?

Found it on the way back machine:

"Mike Parker Mod!

Barco1 neck board upgrade circuit
April 2, 2007: NEWSFLASH! The Clarity Series MP-1.4, Barco1, and Barco2 mods are now available!

Looking for the best possible image quality from your CRT projector? Add a Mike Parker Mod!

Mike Parker offers high performance CRT projector modifications and other home theater products for users who demand the absolute best in their home theater.

Mike's CRT projector mods represent years of cumulative research and development which result in extracting the highest possible performance out of CRT projectors for use in a high definition home theater environment. These mods are not simple component replacements. They are complete circuit redesigns often using custom printed circuit boards that are added to your projector. Each set of mods is then perfectly hand-tuned by Mike himself. Only the latest in available electronics technology is used.

This website will be updated often in the upcoming weeks and months. Check back often for new information!

To stay informed of the latest news or to discuss Mike Parker mods with others, please visit our discussion forum.

To be notified as new products become available, please sign up for our newsletter.

© Copyright 2006 Mike Parker. All Rights Reserved. Page loads: Hosted by 1&1 Designed by kal
"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BARCO1 MODS:
"

Home Mods/Products Newsletter Forum Contact Us
Early Model Barco Performance Mods (Barco1)

>> What projectors can be modified with Barco1 mods?
>> What improvements do these Barco1 mods offer?
>> What boards do I need to send to Mike Parker?
>> What's the best way to package my boards for shipment?
>> Pricing / Place your order
>> Reviews & Testimonials
>> Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What projectors can be modified with Barco1 mods?

The following early model Barco projectors can be modified:

Barco Data and Graphics 801
Barco Data and Graphics 801s (and retro versions)
Barco Data and Graphics 808 (and retro versions)
Barco Graphics 1200
Barco Graphics 1208
Barco Graphics 1208s
Barco Graphics 1208/2
Barco Graphics 1209
Barco Graphics 1209/2 / Runco DTV-1000

Looking for similar mods for late model Barco projectors? Take a look at Barco2 mods !

What improvements do these Barco1 mods offer?

The Barco1 mods offer the following image quality enhancements to the Port 5 (RGBHV BNC) input:

No more streaking! (Ile's streak fix is included in these mods)
Better black level, gamma, and shadow detail - even during bright scenes. Details previously lost in the shadows/background can now be seen!
Increased sharpness, allowing the projector to run at higher resolutions with increased detail without scan-line overlapping.
Better, more accurate colours.
Reduced blooming at higher contrasts, giving the picture more 'punch'.
High frequency switching circuit (1 GHz).
Increased bandwidth.
These improvements are accomplished by:

Cleaning up the sync pulses to eliminate residual noise on the sync lines from getting into the video chain.
Introducing better sync pulse management to upgrade the video chain from one that was designed for VESA computer graphics, to one required for today's high performance HDTV signals.
Upgrading and changing necessary components to maintain the absolute best DC offset and black level reference during subtle to harsh scene changes.
ON HOLD* (see below): Replacing the entire video front end section on both the RGB input and the port 3 board, offering the exact same high performance characteristics from both inputs. The input differential sections are replaced using a high performance dual input switching video front end section, that also has advanced and very precise DC restoration for each channel. The video insert signals into video chain are also modified and improved, for a much cleaner and improved isolated signal path.
Adding precision calibrated pulse reference pots for the most accurate HDTV performance possible.
Note: These mods work perfectly with add-on DVI modules such as John's BG-DVI module that connects to the Port 3 board.

* Mike has suspended port 3 mods for now, because he is not able to confirm how well they work with the test unit. So at present, the port 3 part of the mod is not being done. Do not send in your Port 3 board. When the time comes when he can get back to the port 3 card, it will be made available to those who have purchased the mods.

The existing port 5 (5 BNC) and port 3 (DB9) connectors continue to function as before after the modifications are in place, thus providing the end user with a high quality RGBHV input and the existing Port 3 input. No other changes to the video chain in your home theater are necessary.

All boards are tested and pre-calibrated by Mike Parker's team prior to being shipped back the owner. The only adjustments that the owner will have to perform upon re-installing the boards will be a basic brightness and contrast adjustment to compensate for the changes made to the boards. Basic installation instructions will be provided with the returned boards.

These mods represent years of cumulative research and development which result in extracting the highest possible performance out of Barco projectors for use in a high definition home theater environment. Barco1 mods are not simple component replacements. They are complete circuit redesigns of the signal path using custom printed circuit boards that are attached to your existing boards (see examples below). Each set of mods is then perfectly hand-tuned by Mike himself. Only the latest in available electronics technology is used.

Barco1 (7617481) Switch/Input board:

With the addition of the mini board (retro mod), the mods dual (+/-5) supply is decoupled from the main boards +/- 12v regulated supply rails using its two 5v regulators (on mini board) and series pass inductors, to also include both electrolytic and ceramics caps. This was done to further isolate as much as possible the high performance amplifier circuit from the noise that was measured on the switch board itself.

Noise: With the measured level of noise on the switch board, and even after also upgrading the other caps on the boards power supply, we still found that the level of noise was still a bit too much to use the amplifier section already on the board, which was already in place on the switch board itself. So that is when we decided to go with using a separate amplifier section altogether. This retro mod (mini board) would also provide much better performance over what was already in place.

Grounding: The grounding for the mod is done only at the connectors, both input (J6A) and output (J3). this was also done to isolate the entire video input section from the board as much as possible.

Barco1 RGB/switcher (R7617481) add-on upgrade board

Barco1 RGB/switcher (R7617481) upgrade board installed
Barco1 Neck-Boards:

75 MHz neck-board (R7621735) buffer and DC restoration replacement circuit

75 MHz neck-board (R7621735) buffer and DC restoration replacement circuit

75 MHz neck-board (R7621735) with mod that replaces the Sanyo 06 chip

ON HOLD* (see above): Barco1 Port 3 Board:

The Port 3 board mod uses the existing DB9 connector.

Do note that the mini board used on the R7621055 (Port 3 board), is different from what’s being used on the R7617481 (switch board). They are both high performance (high bandwidth) amplifier sections, but due to the specifics of the two different boards, one had to be redesigned. And that required quite a bit of R&D.

Barco1 Port 3 (R7621055) add-on upgrade board

What boards do I need to send to Mike Parker?

Six boards must be removed from the projector and sent to Mike Parker for modification. These boards are:

RGB Input & Switching board (Barco part number R7617481)
Quad Decoder + RGB Gain (Barco part number R7621745)
RGB Analog Auto Sync Input board [aka Port 3 board] (Barco part number R7621055)
All three 75 Mhz (silver) neck-boards (Barco part number R7621735)

R7617481: RGB Input & Switching board R7621745: Quad Decoder + RGB Gain

R7621735: 75Mhz neck-board (all 3 must be mod'ed)
The boards must be in good working order prior to being sent to Mike Parker for modification.

Please ensure that your projector boards have matching part numbers before purchasing Barco1 mods. The Barco part numbers are printed on little stickers affixed to the boards. An example is shown below:

What's the best way to package my boards for shipment?

To properly package your boards for shipment, wrap each board separately in at least three layers of the large bubble wrap and place them in a box. Use bubble wrap with large 1" bubbles if possible. The thinner wrap with 1/4" bubbles doesn't protect the board well (you'll need to use a lot more). Electronic anti-static bags are not necessary.

Boards individually wrapped in multiple layers of big bubble wrap are well protected from shocks and bumps. Put the packaged board into a snug fitting box, or use more bubble wrap to fill the box so the boards don’t bang around in transit. How do you know if you packed it tight enough? When you give the box a good shake and turn it over in all directions, the contents inside should not shift or slide at all.

Please ensure to package your boards properly for shipment. Printed circuit boards are relatively fragile. It is not uncommon for parts to be sheared off if the boards are not packaged properly. Mike Parker cannot be held responsible for boards he receives that are damaged beyond repair due to improper packaging.

Pricing / Place your order

Performance Mods for Early Model Barco Projectors (Barco1)

Payment methods: PayPal and all major credit cards.

Included in the price is return shipping with tracking to any location worldwide, and 1 year warranty on all parts and labour.

Turn around time from the moment the boards are received to the time they are shipped back is usually 1-2 weeks.
Once your order is placed, you will be emailed within 24-48 hours with your order number and further instructions on where to send your boards.

Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Price: $700 USD

(Includes return shipping)

Disclaimers:

The purchaser is responsible for the costs associated with shipping the boards to Mike's team in Maryland USA for modifications as well as any taxes/VAT/duties when the boards are returned.

The purchaser must be willing to accept that their boards will be retro fitted with components that are not part of the original Barco design. This retro process also includes the proprietary protection of the design and parts being used in the upgrade process. As such, Mike Parker will be covering certain sections of the boards with a concealment material (potting). This process is not reversible. Once the mods are ordered and the process begins, there cannot be a cancellation and refund. All sales are final.

Reviews and Testimonials

Coming soon!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: How can I be sure that my Barco projector can be modified with Barco1 mods?

A: Any Barco projector with the following Barco board part numbers may be modified with Barco1 mods: R7617481 (RGB Input), R7621745 (Quad Decoder+RGB Gain), and R7621735 (75 Mhz silver neckboards).

Q: My projector isn't listed, I don't have these boards in my projector, but I want these mods! What can I do?

A: Alternate Barco2 performance modifications are offered shortly that cover later model Barco units. More information can be found on our Barco2 mods page.

Q: I have the boards required in my projector but my projector isn't listed as a model that is supported. What can I do?

A: Contact pre-sales support at info@MPmods.com with your projector model information and board numbers and we will let you know what your options are. Odds are we simply forgot to list your model as being supported.

Q: My projector is listed as one of the models that is supported, but my board numbers are different from the 3 boards that are required. What can I do?

A: Contact pre-sales support at info@MPmods.com with your projector model information and board numbers and we will let you know what your options are. Barco is known to have a few variations in their board numbers so likely you will still be ok.

Q: How long does the mod'ing of the boards take?

A: Turn around time from the moment the boards are received to the time they are shipped back is usually 1-2 weeks.

Q: How do you ship? How long does shipping take?

A: We ship all packages via US Postal Service which includes tracking and insurance. Ground shipping is never used. Shipping within the continental US usually takes 2-3 days. Shipping times to other locations in the world varies, but usually takes less than 5 days.

Q: Where do you ship from?

A: We ship from the United States. More specifically: Camp Springs, Maryland, USA.

Q: Who pays for shipping?

A: The buyer pays to have the boards shipped to Maryland, USA. Return shipping via USPS to anywhere in the world with tracking is included in the price of the mods.

Q: Do you ship worldwide?

A: Yes. We will ship to anywhere in the world. We use USPS shipping with tracking for all our orders.

Q: Is there a warranty period?

A: Yes. There is a 1 year warranty on all parts & labour. If you experience any problems with your Mike Parker Barco modified boards within 1 year of receipt, please contact technical support at support@MPmods.com with your order number and product information and we will make things right.

Q: I'm selling my Barco projector that includes MP Barco1 mods. Is the warranty transferable?

A: No. The warranty period of 1 year is only valid if you are the original purchaser of the mods.

Q: Since Curtpalme.com is somehow affiliated with Mike Parker, can I buy a projector from Curtpalme.com and have the mods added to it before it ships to me?

A: No. Not at this time. The sale of Mike Parker Mods is a separate from Curt's projector sales. It is recommended that once you receive a projector new to you, that you run it for a few weeks to ensure it works to your satisfaction before you modify any of the boards. Seeing the before and after of adding Mike Parker mods is also the best way to really appreciate the performance gains that these mods bring to your projector!

Q: I'm good with a soldering iron. Can I save money by mod'ing my boards myself? Will you sell me the parts or tell me how?

A: No. The modifications must be done by Mike's team such that they may be adequately tested and calibrated. As well, the modifications include proprietary designs that we will not be released to the general public.

© Copyright 2006/2007 Mike Parker. All Rights Reserved.
"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND

BARCO2

Late Model Barco Performance Mods (Barco2)

>> What projectors can be modified with Barco2 mods?
>> What improvements do these Barco2 mods offer?
>> What boards do I need to send to Mike Parker?
>> What's the best way to package my boards for shipment?
>> Pricing / Place your order
>> Reviews & Testimonials
>> Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What projectors can be modified with Barco2 mods?

The following late model Barco projectors can be modified:

Barco Retro Data 808s
Barco Data 808s / Runco DTV-992
Barco Graphics 808s / Runco DTV-992 Ultra
Barco Graphics 808s/E
Barco Cine 8
Barco Cine 8 Onyx / Zenith 1200 Pro
Barco Graphics 1208s/2
Barco Graphics 1208s/E
Barco Data 1209s
Barco Graphics 1209s / Runco DTV-1100, DTV-1101
Barco Graphics 1209s/E
Barco Cine 9, Reality 909 / Runco DTV-1200
Looking for similar mods for early model Barco projectors? Take a look at Barco1 mods !

What improvements do these Barco2 mods offer?

The Barco2 mods offer the following image quality enhancements to the Port 5 (RGBHV BNC) input:

Better black level, gamma, and shadow detail - even during bright scenes. Details previously lost in the shadows/background can now be seen!
Increased sharpness, allowing the projector to run at higher resolutions with increased detail without scan-line overlapping.
Better, more accurate colours.
Reduced blooming at higher contrasts, giving the picture more 'punch'.
Increased bandwidth.
These improvements are accomplished by:

Cleaning up the sync pulses to eliminate residual noise on the sync lines from getting into the video chain.
Introducing better sync pulse management to upgrade the video chain from one that was designed for VESA computer graphics, to one required for today's high performance HDTV signals.
Upgrading and changing necessary components to maintain the absolute best DC offset and black level reference during subtle to harsh scene changes.
ON HOLD* (see below): Modifying and replacing the entire video front end section on the port 3 board to offer the exact same high performance characteristics as the improved port 5 input.
Adding precision calibrated pulse reference pots for the most accurate HDTV performance possible.
Note: These mods work perfectly with add-on DVI modules such as John's BG-DVI module that connects to the Port 3 board.

The existing port 5 (5 BNC) and port 3 (DB9) connectors continue to function as before after the modifications are in place, thus providing the end user with a high quality RGBHV port 5 input and the existing Port 3 input. No other changes to the video chain in your home theater are necessary.

All boards are tested and pre-calibrated by Mike Parker's team prior to being shipped back the owner. The only adjustments that the owner will have to perform upon re-installing the boards will be a basic brightness and contrast adjustment to compensate for the changes made to the boards. Basic installation instructions will be provided with the returned boards.

These mods represent years of cumulative research and development which result in extracting the highest possible performance out of Barco projectors for use in a high definition home theater environment. Barco2 mods are not simple component replacements. They are complete circuit redesigns of the signal path using custom printed circuit boards that are attached to your existing boards. Each set of mods is then perfectly hand-tuned by Mike himself. Only the latest in available electronics technology is used.

* Mike has suspended port 3 mods for now, because he is not able to confirm how well they work with the test unit. So at present, the port 3 part of the mod is not being done. Do not send in your port 3 board. When the time comes when he can get back to the port 3 card, it will be made available to those who have purchased the mods.

What boards do I need to send to Mike Parker?

Six boards must be removed from the projector and sent to Mike Parker for modification. These boards are:

RGB Input & Switching board (Barco part number R762719)
RGB Driver board (Barco part number R762720)
RGB Analog Auto Sync Input board [aka Port 3 board] (Barco part number R7621055)
All three 120Mhz black neck-boards (Barco part number R762746)*

R762719: RGB Input & Switching board R762720: RGB Driver board

R762746: The three 120Mhz black neck-boards (connected to the CRT tubes)*
* If you own a Barco Data 808s you will be sending in your 75Mhz silver neck-boards (R7621735) instead. They are different from the 120Mhz ones depicted here. For a picture of the 75Mhz neck-boards, see here.

The boards must be in good working order prior to being sent to Mike Parker for modification.

Please ensure that your projector boards have matching part numbers before purchasing Barco2 mods. The Barco part numbers are printed on little stickers affixed to the boards. An example is shown below:

What's the best way to package my boards for shipment?

To properly package your boards for shipment, wrap each board separately in at least three layers of the large bubble wrap and place them in a box. Use bubble wrap with large 1" bubbles if possible. The thinner wrap with 1/4" bubbles doesn't protect the board well (you'll need to use a lot more). Electronic anti-static bags are not necessary.

Boards individually wrapped in multiple layers of big bubble wrap are well protected from shocks and bumps. Put the packaged board into a snug fitting box, or use more bubble wrap to fill the box so the boards don’t bang around in transit. How do you know if you packed it tight enough? When you give the box a good shake and turn it over in all directions, the contents inside should not shift or slide at all.

Please ensure to package your boards properly for shipment. Printed circuit boards are relatively fragile. It is not uncommon for parts to be sheared off if the boards are not packaged properly. Mike Parker cannot be held responsible for boards he receives that are damaged beyond repair due to improper packaging.

Pricing / Place your order

Performance Mods for Late Model Barco Projectors (Barco2)

Payment methods: PayPal and all major credit cards.

Included in the price is return shipping with tracking to any location worldwide, and 1 year warranty on all parts and labour.

Turn around time from the moment the boards are received to the time they are shipped back is usually 1-2 weeks.
Once your order is placed, you will be emailed within 24-48 hours with your order number and further instructions on where to send your boards.

Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Price: $800 USD

(Includes return shipping)

Disclaimers:

The purchaser is responsible for the costs associated with shipping the boards to Mike's team in Maryland USA for modifications as well as any taxes/VAT/duties when the boards are returned.

The purchaser must be willing to accept that their boards will be retro fitted with components that are not part of the original Barco design. This retro process also includes the proprietary protection of the design and parts being used in the upgrade process. As such, Mike Parker will be covering certain sections of the boards with a concealment material (potting). This process is not reversible. Once the mods are ordered and the process begins, there cannot be a cancellation and refund. All sales are final.

Reviews and Testimonials

"First impressions from a Barco 1208s/2 (8") projector:
1) Very noticeable improvement in spot size and sharpness increase over the OEM boards.
2) Color - more vibrant and detailed.
3) No blooming from 0-100 Contrast.
4) INKY BLACKS - even with high Brightness in the image (aka Sin City).
5) NO Issues with running 1080p - if it is not fully resolved, the overlap is so slight that it is not an issue.

...On a side note this [Barco 1208s/2] is one of the sharpest 8" projectors out there - the G70 has an edge in color - but the 1208s/2 is sharp as a tack. It was amazing to me to be able to clearly see an improvement in sharpness with Mike's Boards. I expected the improvement in Black level and low-end gamma (one area that needs help with Barco - all projectors actually). But even at 100 contrast the Blacks held together...

...Not to bash 9" projectors - but the difference between my MP modded 1208s/2 and Clarence's G90 is fairly slight. And are actually more on the color side than the image resolution side. Honestly at this point I am looking at a HD Scaler (not just a loaner) to be able to view 1080p from Cable - all the time. So - Once you have upgraded your projector with MP mods - your next upgrade will need to be either color correction and/or Video Signal (aka 1080p scaler) upgrade...

Long Live the 8" projector!"

- Pete (forum member Z-photo)
Barco2 Tester

"After seeing several mods on several projectors, it has always been a challenge to quantify the improvement. I usually look for some clear discriminator or scenario that presents a repeatable improvement, and my rule of thumb is that it has to be significant enough for my wife to be able to see the difference and consistently pick the mod as "better".

For example, in the latest mods I was previewing [Mike Parker Barco2], a clear discriminator was any fine detailed text at 1920x1080. With the stock cards, the text is sharp at 60Hz, but gets soft at 72Hz. Insert the mods. The same text is sharp at 60Hz and is now also sharp at 72Hz.

Is that 200% improvement? I don't know. But I'm comfortable in finding and demonstrating a repeatable objective threshold like that... achieving sharpness at 1080p at 72Hz is a critical practical improvement over being limited to 1080p@60."

- Clarence
Barco2 Tester

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: How can I be sure that my Barco projector can be modified with Barco2 mods?

A: Any Barco projector with the following Barco board part numbers may be modified with Barco2 mods: R762719 (RGB Input), R762720 (RGB Driver), and R762746 (120Mhz black neckboards).

Q: My projector isn't listed, I don't have these boards in my projector, but I want these mods! What can I do?

A: Alternate Barco1 performance modifications are offered shortly that cover earlier Barco units. More information can be found on our Barco1 mods page.

Q: I have the boards required in my projector but my projector isn't listed as a model that is supported. What can I do?

A: Contact pre-sales support at info@MPmods.com with your projector model information and board numbers and we will let you know what your options are. Odds are we simply forgot to list your model as being supported.

Q: My projector is listed as one of the models that is supported, but my board numbers are different from the boards that are required. What can I do?

A: Contact pre-sales support at info@MPmods.com with your projector model information and board numbers and we will let you know what your options are. Barco is known to have a few variations in their board numbers so likely you will still be ok.

Q: How long does the mod'ing of the boards take?

A: Turn around time from the moment the boards are received to the time they are shipped back is usually 1-2 weeks.

Q: How do you ship? How long does shipping take?

A: We ship all packages via US Postal Service which includes tracking and insurance. Ground shipping is never used. Shipping within the continental US usually takes 2-3 days. Shipping times to other locations in the world varies, but usually takes less than 5 days.

Q: Where do you ship from?

A: We ship from the United States. More specifically: Camp Springs, Maryland, USA.

Q: Who pays for shipping?

A: The buyer pays to have the boards shipped to Maryland, USA. Return shipping via USPS to anywhere in the world with tracking is included in the price of the mods.

Q: Do you ship worldwide?

A: Yes. We will ship to anywhere in the world. We use USPS shipping with tracking for all our orders.

Q: Is there a warranty period?

A: Yes. There is a 1 year warranty on all parts & labour. If you experience any problems with your Mike Parker Barco modified boards within 1 year of receipt, please contact technical support at support@MPmods.com with your order number and product information and we will make things right.

Q: I'm selling my Barco projector that includes MP Barco2 mods. Is the warranty transferable?

A: No. The warranty period of 1 year is only valid if you are the original purchaser of the mods.

Q: Since Curtpalme.com is somehow affiliated with Mike Parker, can I buy a projector from Curtpalme.com and have the mods added to it before it ships to me?

A: No. Not at this time. The sale of Mike Parker Mods is a separate from Curt's projector sales. It is recommended that once you receive a projector new to you, that you run it for a few weeks to ensure it works to your satisfaction before you modify any of the boards. Seeing the before and after of adding Mike Parker mods is also the best way to really appreciate the performance gains that these mods bring to your projector!

Q: I'm good with a soldering iron. Can I save money by mod'ing my boards myself? Will you sell me the parts or tell me how?

A: No. The modifications must be done by Mike's team such that they may be adequately tested and calibrated. As well, the modifications include proprietary designs that we will not be released to the general public.

© Copyright 2006/2007 Mike Parker. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike_Parker_Barco_R7621736_neck_board_upgrade2_small300.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.4 KB
 Viewed:  18687 Time(s)

Mike_Parker_Barco_R7621736_neck_board_upgrade2_small300.jpg

CRT.

HD done right!
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:

craigr

but but but but.....mine is a VV1....I feel so ashamed!

as for the card itself, i think this really motivated some people with CRT and energized them. Example is Curt Card comes out and he starts his HT.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I would say the opposite. Back when a high end CRT projector would cost $8-12K or more (2006 or so) it was those with deep pockets that were buying high end CRT. Spending another 10% or less on some mods should have been a no-brainer.

Today the number of CRT owners is a fraction of what it was back then, and the price of CRT projectors has fallen through the floor. Nobody's going to spend more money on mods than they do on the projector. The CRT modd'ing market is dead. There's no money in it.

Quote:

Gjaky posted a link to the wayback machine (internet archive) above, but I threw the pages up so that everything works (including pictures).

See: http://www.curtpalme.com/MPmods/

Wow. What a blast from the past. The only thing I remember from this is that I spent an ungodly number of hours putting together all this information (and then tweaking/managing it as things changed), that with the abysmal sales I made about $1/hr when all was said and done. Wink Big business failure on my part since I was paid 100% in commission based on sales (my suggestion) and there were basically no sales...

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, i will check all that out.

I think i stated before at some point that i cant justify the price of Greg's mods on a projector that is really only worth about $1,000 over here now.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you all planning on getting the HDMI cables into the machine? I havent looked close yet, but cant think of any openings big enough.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my cine max someone made a hole in the back and put a contra hdmi there. I look for a pic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11
Jump to: