Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Moome's new Barco HDMI 1.4 card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lydmann

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Mode B on moome card 1.4 hdmi internal Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what mode b does? My friend call it full range, but I have Gregs full mod and drive 0-255 from madvr pc to dvdo vp50 scaler there input is set to 0-255 and output i 0-255. That is full range right? I get the same result as mode b if I set the input on the scaler to video 16-235 and keep the output on pc 0-255. Does moome card to the samme thing to enable this mode? What happens is that white crushed and black is very black. So it make extreme contrast in picture, but you need lot of gamma to get all info in black. The colors is more saturate too in this mode.

And Stridsvogn, please get an another hobby, you just make negative vibes here, please grow up and stop naging about the same thing over and over again..
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mode B on moome card 1.4 hdmi internal Reply with quote

lydmann wrote:
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what mode b does? My friend call it full range, but I have Gregs full mod and drive 0-255 from madvr pc to dvdo vp50 scaler there input is set to 0-255 and output i 0-255. That is full range right?

0-255 is indeed full range and is key "B" on the remote.
Key "A" on the remote sets the range to 16-235 which is more standard.

Quote:
I get the same result as mode b if I set the input on the scaler to video 16-235 and keep the output on pc 0-255. Does moome card to the samme thing to enable this mode? What happens is that white crushed and black is very black. So it make extreme contrast in picture, but you need lot of gamma to get all info in black. The colors is more saturate too in this mode.

Whichever mode you set on the Moome card should match what your source is sending.
If not, you'll get crushed/clipped signals as the two do not match.

0-255 is not better than 16-235. You don't get more information by setting to 0-255.. You need to set the source to one of the two and set the card to the same. The same is true for any source/display combination (ex: PS4 -> TV).

Often think 0-255 is "Better" than 16-235 because they think they're getting more information but that's not true. The two settings will look identical if both source and display are set the same (which they have to be for it to look right).

When you set a source to 0-255 it simply takes the 16-235 signal and remaps it to 0-255.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
lydmann

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my friend has probably 16 235 out from pc?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. You'll have to ask him what his setup is set for.

Kal

lydmann

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are people here using? mode a or b?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what people are using. Both are "correct". You need to use whichever matches what you set your source devices to. Don't set it to A or B based on what others are doing. That wouldn't make any sense.

If your sources are all set to 16-235, do the same on the Moome card.
If your sources are all set to 0-255, do the same on the Moome card.

I would recommend setting all your sources the same way. Otherwise you'd have to constantly switch your Moome card depending on what source you're using.

For what it's worth, if a source device does not have the option, they probably are doing 16-235 as it is more "standard". PCs were some of the first that let you choose. Gaming boxes as well. Nowadays most source devices let you choose. Sometimes the option is not described in an obvious way. You'll see things like "enhanced white" or "white boost" or similar to describe 0-255. Many people incorrectly think that 0-255 is "better" in that if gives you better range or similar but that's not true. In fact the opposite is true for older analog displays: The 16-235 range gives some over/undershoot leeway. On digital displays there's no longer a need for that.

I use 16-235 myself in the home theater. In my Home Theater I have a PS3, PS4, and a satellite PVR. The PS3 and PS4 have options to set to either 0-255 or 16-235 but I believe the the PVR does not let you choose (I may be wrong on this - it's been many years since I checked) and only offers 16-235. So I also set the PS3 and PS4 to 16-235 as well. I then do the same on the projector.

Kal

lydmann

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for good answer. So you dont get more saturation and more dynamic range at all, except on HDR at 0-255? Some say that (if I understand them correctly) that mode b, actually put the 0-255 range into the 16-235 range. That means 16 is 0, and 235 is 255. On crt the white look whiter, and the saturation look more saturated...and the dynamic in the film look amazing. The mode b altso cut btb and wtw. Anyone who can confirm this?
cmjohnson

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does the Moome 1.4 card allow display resolutions beyond 1080p? And if so, is that selectable via the remote?

Just curious, for now.
El Duderino

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lydmann wrote:
Thank you for good answer. So you dont get more saturation and more dynamic range at all, except on HDR at 0-255? Some say that (if I understand them correctly) that mode b, actually put the 0-255 range into the 16-235 range. That means 16 is 0, and 235 is 255. On crt the white look whiter, and the saturation look more saturated...and the dynamic in the film look amazing. The mode b altso cut btb and wtw. Anyone who can confirm this?

For most intents and purposes, I’d agree with Kal. Especially for motion video. Once properly calibrated, there is little to no perceptible difference between the two. Having said that, there is an academic nit (IMO) about banding, 217 steps can’t evenly map into 255 steps and vice versa.

Also, a big one is if you’re using a PC as source and using it for other than video. While most drivers let you make a choice between sRGB and StudioRGB for video, they often don’t for non video, like this website. The defacto color space for most PC’s is sRGB. sRGB uses all 8-bits for information, the is no concept of BTB/WTW in sRGB, so for 8 bits black is 0 and white is 255. This allows for 256 gray levels and a palette of 16.7 million colors. If you remap this to 16-235, you can no longer have that many gray levels nor that large of a palette. This is largely is moot for 8-bit StudioRGB video however, as it never had it to begin with, unlike native sRGB did.

Last edited by El Duderino on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lydmann wrote:
Thank you for good answer. So you dont get more saturation and more dynamic range at all

Correct.

Quote:
except on HDR at 0-255?

I don't see what HDR has to do with anything here. HDR (high dynamic range) is a method of getting more dynamic range out of a lense/film. Has nothing to do with how you map the results into a defined pixel depth after.

Quote:
Some say that (if I understand them correctly) that mode b, actually put the 0-255 range into the 16-235 range.
That means 16 is 0, and 235 is 255. On crt the white look whiter, and the saturation look more saturated...and the dynamic in the film look amazing.

No, that's not possible. Mapping 0-255 into 16-235 or vice versa doesn't give you more or less of anything. In fact it can give you banding or other issues. Whoever is saying this doesn't understand.

Set your source and display to use the same.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11
Jump to: