Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Going to try blending...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well Even seeing some of the troubles of Blending, Gordon still wants to go ahead with it!!!

I'll let him add anything if he wants.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal

Last edited by Nashou66 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Melifluonze

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm committed. I saw Nash's blend and I'm going to have to try it.

All I can say is WOW!

-M

We STILL don't need no stinkin' 7.1!
Melifluonze

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I just ordered an FPGA based HDMI board. I'm going to try to implement the gamma/color adjustments that Nash is wishing for to see if we can get rid of the vertical lines in the blend zone. Life gets in the way though, so it may take a long time!!!

Also, I'm extremely concerned about geometry and linearity, as Nash is... I think this is the biggest problem. If you don't have all areas of the blend zone right on top of one another, there will be differences. This means that for blending to actually work, you have to have the projectors exactly lined up mechanically, electrically, and in any other way, and the images need to stay locked where they are. Any drift for any reason of ANY parameter or location of the image relative to the other = blend zone shows up!

That being said... if you could butt the projector images right next to each other and hold that spacing, then THAT would possibly be the best "blend". You then use the color/gamma corrector to equalize the second projector to the first... If you can't keep the images within one pixel of each other, then blending will fail no matter what you do... By fail, I mean you'll see the blend zone!

It hurts, but I'm starting to think that blending without a blend zone is not possible. There will always be a visible blend zone...

- M

jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melifluonze wrote:
Ok, so I just ordered an FPGA based HDMI board. I'm going to try to implement the gamma/color adjustments that Nash is wishing for to see if we can get rid of the vertical lines in the blend zone. Life gets in the way though, so it may take a long time!!!

Also, I'm extremely concerned about geometry and linearity, as Nash is... I think this is the biggest problem. If you don't have all areas of the blend zone right on top of one another, there will be differences. This means that for blending to actually work, you have to have the projectors exactly lined up mechanically, electrically, and in any other way, and the images need to stay locked where they are. Any drift for any reason of ANY parameter or location of the image relative to the other = blend zone shows up!

That being said... if you could butt the projector images right next to each other and hold that spacing, then THAT would possibly be the best "blend". You then use the color/gamma corrector to equalize the second projector to the first... If you can't keep the images within one pixel of each other, then blending will fail no matter what you do... By fail, I mean you'll see the blend zone!

It hurts, but I'm starting to think that blending without a blend zone is not possible. There will always be a visible blend zone...

- M

What your saying is true but on the other hand you shouldn't be experiencing much drift. This is why taking the time to do a extremely thorough set up is absolutely crucial for a blend. You might have to touch up convergence once in a while but not frequently.

IMO, for a blend you need 2 ultra chassis and 2 sets of HFQ900 lenses. Those lenses have the best corner/side focus and since that is the center of the overall image it's pretty important. Nash is not terribly far from having an optimal residential blend. I say residential because industrial blends are usually driven by custom workstations which provide enough control over blend zone parameters to achieve the desired result. At least this is what I have heard from MP and other professionals who have set up or worked on such displays. I told Nash he needs to find one of those units on surplus..lol

If a company like Lumagen would take the time, they could produce the necessary solution. However, there's really no market for this any longer so it requires a talented hobbyist to save the day. My advice is to keep it REALLY simple; focus on the really low end and high end of the curve. The zone really rears it's ugly head above 80IRE.

So stop farting around with those CLD-97's and get to work on this Razz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL, CLD-97... Yeah, I was picking one of those up when we met, huh...

I'll be posting about the gamma corrector in a bit.

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking about the blend zone. I did some more work with Zone Contrast and
got it to look really good!!!! I admit the focus in the blend zone is not dead on. That will also help.
But What I think the issue is the way that Tv one does the Gamma in the blend zone. It is made for a
flat Gamma curve. That is 2.2, 2.35 2.22 or what ever you choose. And CRT's gamma
at the edge of the screen can almost never be flat in the three locations within the blend
zone, top, center and bottom . Because of the drop off in brightness that the zone contrast
can not fix perfectly. So the gamma curve there will never be flat, it will always need more
brightness in the lower IRE's and the upper IRE's are overly bright due to the added contrast
from using Zone contrast Modulation There is a new Gamma curve called BT 1886 I believe .
This is a sloping gamma curve that starts off with a lower gamma on the low end and then
flattens out the rises at the high end. This almost mirrors the same response in the blend zone
when using a CRT, digital projectors can be flat all the way across at the edges of the screen
as in the center, not CRT.

But I watched some stuff last night and messed with adjusting the TV-Ones gamma and you can
eliminate the blend zone down low but on high IRE's it shows up, then you can adjust it to work
the other way, no blend zone at higher IRE's but its seen on darker IRE's. So the sloping gamma
of BT 1886 might work even though it is not one of the choices in the tv one.

Both of these explain that gamma. Spectral's is what I am going by more.

http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/BT.1886.pdf

http://www.chromapure.com/colorscience-gamma.asp

As you see in the graph above provided by Tom Huffman of Chromapure

BT 1886 and sRGB gamma curves would help in the blend zone since the low end would
be a little brighter, helping remove the dark band seen in the blend zone, and on the
upper end the higher gamma would darken or tame the upper IRE's so they are not brighter
in the blend zone and seen.

I have to have a few full days do re do the calibration of each PJ to that standard.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: