Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Who knows BD laser pickups or other issues with transports?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Who knows BD laser pickups or other issues with transports? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I think I have a BD drive here that has a bad laser pickup in the transport, but I am not certain. I'd like to hear what others think.

Here is the background. The transport in question is out of a DUNE HDMax media player and is made by BTC. It is this one with the tray loader (BP-06):
http://www.btc.com.tw/japanese/2-13-6-BluRayLoader.htm

The drive in question seems to play DVD's fine, but with BD discs it's another story. If the player is cold, than a BD will load and play for maybe 15 minutes then the entire player locks up and needs the power pulled. If you reboot and try again than the next time the disc may play for three minutes before locking up the player. Once the DUNE is fully warmed up, the transport will stop seeing any BD all together; when a BD is in the transport the DUNE reports "no disc." At this point DVD's still play fine though.

I am certain that the problem is the BD transport because I also have a DUNE SMART B1 and it uses the same transport. I pulled the transport out of the HDMax (bad one) and plugged it into the B1 and the problems follow the transport.

I cannot find this transport for sale anywhere, and it must be this exact BP-06 transport for the DRM to work for BD playback in the DUNE. So I thought I would try swapping the pickups between the two BD transports to see if I could narrow down for certain if the transport is the issue or if the "main board" in the transport is the problem. It turns out that the two BP-06 are different versions and the transports and main boards are slightly different and not compatible with one another Evil or Very Mad

The bad transport has a Sony model KEM-430AAB pickup in it and this pickup is easily available. I can get this pickup here for around $50, but in all honesty I don't really need the BD drive to work in the media player so I am not sure it's worth it unless I am pretty sure that the problem will be solved.

What do you guys think? Can a pickup become problematic with heat? Is it more likely that the pickup of main board is the cause specifically because this issue seems to be heat related? I would think the main board would be the more likely culprit since heat seems to be a factor, but the pickup is available because it's a Sony part and the main board is not available because it's only used in this crappy transport. That being said, the fact that the DUNE/transport can still see DVD's when it's warmed up an not BD's makes me think that it must be the pickup and not the transport main board.

The other possibility would be to just replace the laser assembly and not the entire transport. I can't see any markings on that assembly that would allow me to find a replacement though. Below is a photo of the pickup from the defective loader. Anyone know a part number for just the laser?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
Murideo Fresco SIX-G HDMI 2.x Multimedia Generator
Murideo Fresco SIX-A HDMI 2.x Analyzer
*NEW Light Illusion ColourSpace XPT Version β Color Calibration Software
Light Illusion LightSpace XPT Pro Version 10.x Color Calibration Software
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
Sencore CR7000 CRT Tube Analyzer / Rejuvenater
Authorized Dealer for Lumagen & just about everything worth buying Wink
www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com
Phone: 865-405-6892
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was real common on the 410 drives, also used in PS3. And it was almost always the BD laser failure and DVD playback would still be fine. I am almost certain it was the BD laser failure and I believe it was verified way back then.

Here is the 410 and you can see how many have been sold. And if you look up other sellers you can see the large volume sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS3-LASER-LENS-KES-410A-KEM-410A-CECHK01-CECHK02-CECHK03-CECHK04-CECHK11-80GB-/231149044106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d18e818a

I want to say I remember that I think the 410 and 430 were interchangeable but cannot remember to say it was fact.
but the 410 appears to have a 45 pin connector and so does your 430. And both were used in PS3's.

12 bucks is a pretty cheap gamble.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the Dune players Craig, but I can tell you that the laser is a very, very common failure in the PS3's. The typical failure mode is that the PS3 won't read BD discs (movies or games) any longer. The part number is very similar to the one you posted, so I'd put my money on replacing the assembly fixing the issue.

Also, look for the whole "deck" assembly; I think it might be cheaper AND easier to just get the whole deck assembly vs. just the laser/lens piece.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Mac and I posted at almost exactly the same time.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

SC

Yeah, but I won, lol. Laughing
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
This was real common on the 410 drives, also used in PS3. And it was almost always the BD laser failure and DVD playback would still be fine. I am almost certain it was the BD laser failure and I believe it was verified way back then.

Here is the 410 and you can see how many have been sold. And if you look up other sellers you can see the large volume sold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS3-LASER-LENS-KES-410A-KEM-410A-CECHK01-CECHK02-CECHK03-CECHK04-CECHK11-80GB-/231149044106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d18e818a

I want to say I remember that I think the 410 and 430 were interchangeable but cannot remember to say it was fact.
but the 410 appears to have a 45 pin connector and so does your 430. And both were used in PS3's.

12 bucks is a pretty cheap gamble.

Thank you Mac Smile

This link with the "whole deck" would seem to indicate that they are all interchangeable.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/For-PS3-GAME-LENS-KEM-430AAB-KEM410AAB-KEM-410ACA-KES-410A-KES-430A-KES-410A-BLU/521732_885791191.html

I've looked at the photo on the eBay listing and it seems that pickup is identical to mine in every way. I think I will order it. Like you say, for 12 bucks what the hay.

SWEET!
craigr

PS, I don't know why I even want to fix this thing... I have two Oppo BDP players in the same rack. Somehow it being broken just bothers me though Wink also, I am looking at this as a learning experience too. I've never replaced a pickup before, just entire transports which is super easy.

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
X-Rite i1Pro2 Spectroradiometer & Spyder Colorimeters *For JVC auto-calibration when Klein & Jeti are not applicable
*NEW OMARDRIS JVC Software Patch to use K10-A and Jeti with JVC OEM AutoCal Software!
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I know nothing about the Dune players Craig, but I can tell you that the laser is a very, very common failure in the PS3's. The typical failure mode is that the PS3 won't read BD discs (movies or games) any longer. The part number is very similar to the one you posted, so I'd put my money on replacing the assembly fixing the issue.

Also, look for the whole "deck" assembly; I think it might be cheaper AND easier to just get the whole deck assembly vs. just the laser/lens piece.

Cheers,
SC

The whole deck would be way easier and I'd rather do that. But for this project it's academic anyway and I want to be a tight wad with it. Have you seen the whole deck priced anywhere near the eBay listing that Mac sent me at $12 for just the pickup?

Thank you too!
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

SC

Yeah, but I won, lol. Laughing

You guys are both winners in my book

Seriously though, thanks.
craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one for a few cents less, but with faster included shipping. I think it's the same right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-PS3-Sony-Playstation-3-Laser-Lens-KES-410A-KEM-410A-CECH-K01-CECHK01/261112411471

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the same. Good luck. Smile
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought. It was actually more than a whole dollar cheaper!!!

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I don't normally look at BR players, but just picked up an older Samsung at the recycler, so I dove in. The regular DVD vs a BR is a good test, ditto an MP3 disc vs CD in a CD player. If it reads the lower density disc but not the higher one, it's the laser almost always.

this one started working by cleaning the laser with distilled water and a Q tip, but who knows for how long..
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use glass cleaner. I find that sometimes you need a little detergent to break down what ever grime is on the lens.
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried denatured alcohol on this one.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
CIR Engineering

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now that you guys pointed me in the right direction I've read that it's almost always the diode that goes bad. I put the transport back together again until the new pickup gets here so I can't look myslef, but would it have been possible to just replace the diode? I mean, are the pickups generally assembled in a way that would allow one to get to the diode to remove and solder a new one on? Or do the optics need to be realigned or something afterward?

Just wondering what folks know?

On a side, what's interesting to me also is that with the Oppo players the software on the player needs to be changed to match the transport. When I replace transports in Oppo players they always send me the new transport and also a DVD with an update that must be performed in a special way to allow the new transport to work with the player.

criagr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't replace the laser diodes themselves... not on any DVD/BR/CD player I've seen, its simply not worth it first off, second its almost impossible to do...

From what I've read through this whole thread though it sounds like a typical bad laser diode, DVD is working, BR isn't, especially after the unit warming up (I had this issue with several Panasonic blu ray players, they would stop functioning altogether after warming up for about 10 minutes of use).

Did you buy this one off ebay from someone in Wisconsin? Razz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy112 wrote:
You don't replace the laser diodes themselves... not on any DVD/BR/CD player I've seen, its simply not worth it first off, second its almost impossible to do...

From what I've read through this whole thread though it sounds like a typical bad laser diode, DVD is working, BR isn't, especially after the unit warming up (I had this issue with several Panasonic blu ray players, they would stop functioning altogether after warming up for about 10 minutes of use).

I don't see why the diode would be difficult to change if there is access to it. That's the big question, or if there is any alignment needed. I mean, most folks can't change a surface mount diode, but I sure as heck would have no problem doing it here. I bet if it is possible I could get a hundred diodes from digikey for $10 delivered and then be able to repair any transport including ones where the pickup is hard to find or unavailable Wink

Yup, I was the "winner" of that auction. Doc actually gave me the heads up on that player and I figured it would go for cheap since it had a bum optical drive. Funny how that works, it's DUNE's top model ever and having the crappy optical drive made the unit sell for nearly $300 less than what the HDMax players usually go for. I mean, even without the BD drive it's better than a SMART unit, but it sold relatively cheap. I would have rather had a DUO unit, but at the price I paid I'll take it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dune-HD-Max-Media-Player-/231473222139

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I know you have a scope I'll email you the documents on play station laser alignment.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIR Engineering wrote:
Jeremy112 wrote:

I don't see why the diode would be difficult to change if there is access to it.
craigr

That's going to be the problem, I am seriously doubting there is any access to the diode at all. As for alignment... as long as it shoots through the lens at the proper distance/angle it shouldn't need any adjustment I would think. I've replaced the lenses on the laser assemblies before when the glue would deteriorate and the lens would fall off (it happens a lot on the older equipment) and with great success.

The diode itself though... I can see a bunch of busted plastic and torn ribbon cable from attempting to repair it already Razz

I would still try it though if you think you can do it, and if you can, I'll be watching closely Wink

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after I install the new pickup I'll see what I can do on the old one.

craigr

Klein K10-A Colorimeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: