Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Adding a stereo mic jack to a camera that doesn't have one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Adding a stereo mic jack to a camera that doesn't have one? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I'm looking for a high zoom point and shoot that can do video in a pinch. Problem is most dont have a mic jack.

How would I wire in one? I want it to interrupt the internal mics when the external mic is plugged in. Just as it does with a real camcorder.

I was looking at the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS as a possible candidate.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For this you would be needing a switched 3.5mm (1/8") jack. If the built in Mic is stereo, by cutting the cable going to the Mic, you will have three lines on each side of the cable (Left, Right and Ground). Connect the ground back together and You have 5 lines (Left from the Mic, Right from the Mic, Ground, Right to the PCB and Left to the PCB). Connect these according to the diagram below. Done!
This will only work if You use the same type of Microphone as the one built in (most common: Condenser microphones).

Regards,
barclay66

Mic Input.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.18 KB
 Viewed:  7453 Time(s)

Mic Input.jpg

View user's photo album (25 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to record from an external mic, then you should also have an adjustable mic gain and a headphone output so you can monitor what you're recording. Besides the fact that you'll kill the warranty, and that whatever mic recording circuit the camera has may not work well with whatever external mic you pair it with, I think this is probably not a good idea.

Check out the Lumix DMC-FZ200, Jeremy. The Lumix cameras are great. A little more spendy than the Canon, but worth it to have a really excellent camera that you don't have to hack together to get what you want.

There's also the Nikon P7800 (or last year's Nikon P7700), but it's not a super-zoom. What are you doing with a point/shoot that you need so much zoom?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there's one more option, too… Get whatever long-zoom camera you want and use an external recorder (Zoom H1 for instance) to capture the audio, then sync it on the computer. Not that much more work if you're going to edit anyway, but not useful if it's just for vacation video and such that you weren't planning to edit.

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My application is car show photography. I need a flippy screen and stereo sound to capture the rumble of the engines.

External stereo mic would be just the ticket. I want the Canon because I already own a canon flash. Plus I like the miniature setting.

I want the long zoom because all the others have owned have been 3 - 5x times zoom. Plus this is IS

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
My application is car show photography. I need a flippy screen and stereo sound to capture the rumble of the engines.

The Lumix has a flippy screen. It also has built-in stereo sound, no hacks necessary. Wink

AnalogRocks wrote:
External stereo mic would be just the ticket. I want the Canon because I already own a canon flash. Plus I like the miniature setting.

Hmm… Yeah, OK - you want to use your existing flash, but at what cost to ease-of-use, warranty, etc.? Miniature mode? Are you referring to macro for super-closeups of logos and such? Yeah, you need a close-up adapter for the Lumix.

AnalogRocks wrote:
I want the long zoom because all the others have owned have been 3 - 5x times zoom. Plus this is IS

The Lumix is 24x, or 25-600 equiv. That's plenty long for almost anybody. It also has optical IS. For car photography, I'm not sure how useful the super-zoom would be. You're talking 800mm vs. 600mm… Not a big deal. Are you doing large prints? If not, you can crop the Lumix image minimally and end up with the same effective focal length.

Personally, I'd rather sacrifice a bit of zoom, get the newer, better camera with the best image quality, that has the built-in stereo mic and mic jack (which you also want), and add a flash if necessary.

That's my .02, anyway. The Lumix is a very impressive camera - my old man's had several. I've also had several p/s Canons for my wife, and I've just never been that happy with them. Good. Fine. Just not great. I think the Lumix is a step up.

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah something to look at. I don't mind switching teams. I was Pentax before I went Canon in 2001. Still shoot Pentax from time to time too.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that camera got terrible reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200

Jumping ISO to 3200 and ruining shots.

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it got an excellent review - I'd say almost stellar, concluding with:

Quote:
While not perfect by any means, the FZ200's photo quality is still very good when compared to its peers. Photos are well-exposed, so you won't need to bracket every shot, as on some cameras. One issue that will arise fairly often is highlight clipping, so you may want to shoot RAW or perhaps use the HDR feature when your subject is heavily backlit. Colors were vibrant, and sharpness was pleasing most of the time (though some many want to turn Intelligent Resolution on). The FZ200's photos are slightly noisy, even at ISO 100, though that's better than previous models which smudged away fine detail. Things don't get really noisy until ISO 800 in low light and ISO 3200 in good light. You should be able to extract additional detail (and reduce some of that highlight clipping) at high sensitivities by shooting RAW, as well. Both purple fringing and barrel distortion should not be issues on the DMC-FZ200. Something that probably will get you at some point is redeye, which was apparent in my flash test photos.

It's pretty hard not to like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200. It has all the bells and whistles that you'd expect on a high-end super zoom, plus an F2.8, 25 - 600 mm lens that no other camera can match. That nice lens does command a bit of a premium, but I figure that low light and action photographers won't mind dropping another $100 for it. Despite some issues with highlight clipping and redeye, the lack of an eye sensor for the EVF, and the fact that the full manual is in PDF format, the FZ200 has more than enough going for it to earn my recommendation.

So, I see a couple of comments (not reviews) from people complaining about the inadvertent ISO issue, another half a dozen that bitched about various other things, about as many talking about what a good camera it is, all balanced against a pretty excellent review by a professional reviewer.

Other than the ridiculously-priced Weber natural gas grill I bought recently, everything I've ever researched and bought had people bitching about something or another in comments. I take it with a grain of salt.

Consider also that the comments on the Lumix camera seem to be much more objective from people are likely more enthusiast-oriented (probably because of the price). Compare that to the reviews of the PowerShot, which are more like this:

Quote:
Its just Awesome.. The picture is equal to that of a SLR camera, when u take pictures at nearer distance.. Till the 35X Zoom, u will get very good picture quality. If u use tripod, then there is no doubt in the quality of picture.. The digital zoom is also good in good light conditions. I am enjoying with this camera from 2 months and I have taken so many pictures...Unbelievable zoom and quality in this range.. Professionals buy SLR and shoot pictures at closer distances and buying lens is ...

In other words, the Lumix buyers are a tougher crowd - enthusiasts who've probably used lots of other cameras to compare it to - while the PowerShot commenters are probably moving up to the PowerShot from other cameras, so of course it seems "just awesome".

My old man's camera club loves the Lumix cameras. There are guys in the club who shoot high-end DSLRs that take the Lumix cameras with them when they want to be unobtrusive, and still make beautiful 16x20 prints they enter in competitions. In fact, they call it the "wonder cam". I don't remember what exact model it is they love so much, though. A lot of the digital video guys really love the GH-series, too. Panasonic is building some damn good stuff.

SC
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I wouldn't check it out. I have just have had cameras with misplaced controls before. They are annoying.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another contender:
FUJIFILM HS50EXR
Already has a mic jack too.

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: