Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

NEC XG 110 issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtfrost5

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: NEC XG 110 issue Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have had the XG for a couple years working fine switching between verizon fios and a PS3. However, this weekend when using it with the PS3 and going from the main screen to a game something went wrong. here is the game screen.

http://imgur.com/a/vLT0w#2

Thanks for your help in advance.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a new system board, you have the 'scrambled mess' problem. What is the exact model of the XG? (there's two types, I have both in stock.)
dtfrost5

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model number is xg-1100 which was obtained from the label on the machine. Serial number 7900228 HD. Let me know if you need more information. Image at link below. What is the process for obtaining a board?

http://imgur.com/a/vLT0w#3
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me an email to curtpalme@shaw.ca

thanks!
sj64

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hijack this thread, but what do you know - I've had my NEC XG110 working beautifully for 6 years and then a few days it started having problems.

Seems to be the same thing that has happened to your projector dtfrost5. The first thing I had was scrambled OSD text. Though the input image was fine. But then a day later I was touching up the convergence and then the red and the blue went. Though the green interestingly was still solid.

If I put a (rather large) picture up, Curt would you be willing to have a look and confirm it's the same problem and that I need a new system board?

The whitish scramble across the top is the OSD text (And if you click on the picture, you can check out the stable green image and also some of my screen pics after I painted my own screen a year ago with Mmud. )

Simeon

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, same problem. Shoot me an email, curtpalme at shaw.ca

Thanks!
sj64

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Curt,
I may yet need to buy a board from you...

Back when I first bought the XG 6 years ago, after numerous issues with my previous Sony 1270, I bought a bunch of spare parts for it. I couldn't even remember what exactly I'd gotten. Today I went rummaging, found the box and found that I do have a system board.

However it's a PWC 4188 (for the LC version I believe) whereas my bad board is a 4063. Sad
I haven't been able to find any reliable confirmation either way that the 4188 board will or won't work. Would I do any damage sticking it in and seeing what happens?
(I've been eyeing off the newer digital projectors and a certain part of me almost wouldn't mind much if the XG did blow up! However another part of me still loves this projector and the image it puts out and not in a hurry to replace it yet.)

-Simeon

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably it wouldn't couse any damage, but the newer board will not work properly (if at all) in that machine, that's sure.
Do you have a spare OSC board? I wouldn't rule that out either...

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will power up, but you will have issues controlling parts of the set. I know I've used the wrong chassis to power up a system board for a quick test, but I remember that there were certain functions that won't work correctly. Can't remember what though.
sj64

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I do have an oscillator board to try. There's a few things I need to try as well before I know if the problem really is the system board. I think I'm having a power issue in general. And in particular I think it might be to do with the psu on the computer I run the projector from. We've been watching stuff from the computer just on the tv for the moment, but three times now the audio amp has been cutting out with a 'signal overload protection' warning.

I'm gonna try another computer with the projector.

-Simeon
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sj64 wrote:
Hmm, I do have an oscillator board to try. There's a few things I need to try as well before I know if the problem really is the system board. I think I'm having a power issue in general. And in particular I think it might be to do with the psu on the computer I run the projector from. We've been watching stuff from the computer just on the tv for the moment, but three times now the audio amp has been cutting out with a 'signal overload protection' warning.

I'm gonna try another computer with the projector.

-Simeon

These problems are really connected to the SYSTEM board or the OSC board, normally, when only the menu goes out of sync it is safe to assume that the SYS board is the bad, but in your case the convergence moves with the osd, and most of the convergence control is on the osc board, still it might be the SYS board, but if you have an OSC board at hand, you won't lose anything if you try it, but I wouldn't look much farther than those two boards.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
dtfrost5

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you received the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: