Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

NEC 9 PG Xtra doubts with the calibration and distances.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: NEC 9 PG Xtra doubts with the calibration and distances. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi! I've finally bought the NEC 9 PG Xtra, and i must say, as you already know, that it's really excellent projector, very high contrast, beautiful coloursa and sharp images. I've receveid it just 2 days ago, the owner of the projector came to my home with the projector and we tried it to estabilish that everything works, the input, the convergence, the tubes ecc. ( i also had a little trouble with the passcode, but, to my luck, after a tentative we have found it). I read the definitive procedure to calibrate a projector on the site, the official setup manual and the installation manual of the NEC,and i have l a some doubts.

Here's my doubts:

- I've positioneted the projector at a distance of 3 meters from the wall, and after theraster centering, and the convergence and alignment stuff, it came out an image of approximately 115 inches. It came out big like that because i have expanded the image as much as possible with the amplitude settings of the alignement menu to obtain a raster that occupate almost all the tubes faces. The problem is that on the manual says that the ideal projected image of the projector is 100 inches, and i've read somewhere on the site that if the projector it's too far from the wall, the tubes wears faster. But the manual also says that the the maximum projected image can be large 300 inches. So is it positionated correctly to you?
- I project the image on the wall, is it better to project it on a screen, right?
- To centering the raster, it's necessessary to remove the lenses? I guess so because the lenses concentrate the light so it's bad for the eye to look inside them.

For the moment i have this three doubts, if you some advices, they are appriecieted Smile
Thank you and have a good day!
hansilili

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,

sounds like you're doing really fine. No need to worry.

Don't rely on the sreen size notations in the NEC manual. If you follow the instructions for mechanical alignment you will end up with a significantly shorter distance.

Quote:
i've read somewhere on the site that if the projector it's too far from the wall, the tubes wears faster.

That would happen if you would not fully utilize the full tube surface area which you do.

A screen will be better than the wall, yes. A DIY Sreen can be built for very little money. The biggest advantage of CRT projectors over digital is that a curved screen can be realized much easier. Depending on your viewing situation and audio gear I'd recommend you build a curved screen with acoustic transparent material - that's the best you can get.

For proper raster set up it is best to take of the lenses. Then you can measure the raster and image size. I built myself a tool for that (see pic and this threadhttp://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5495&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=).

The Tube will loock as bright as with the lenses mounted, better turn down contrast all the way. It is handy to have a mirror if you are not routinely familliar with reading the OSD back-to-front. Also you need to check the raster position in the final mounting position of the projector. In ceiling front projection you will need a consideral ammount of keystone correction (setpoint around 60 is normal) so the raster will have some distortion.

DSCF16912.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.64 KB
 Viewed:  7087 Time(s)

DSCF16912.jpg

DSCF16872.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.17 KB
 Viewed:  7087 Time(s)

DSCF16872.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you hansilii for your advices, they're really appreciated. I've got another doubt, maybe it's a bit out of topic: i was thinking of using Powerstrip, a software used to set custom resolutions like 1700x1100 or every resolution you want, but i don't know if it can damage the projector (or also the PC) setting it to a higher resolution than reccomended or simply if it will say "out of range". From what i read on the site it will display the image because it has a bandwidth of 100 KHz so theoricallt it can handle a resoultion of 1920x1080p but basically it will not display all the dots. I wanted to try a resolution a bit more higher than 1600x900, like at least at 1700x1100 or 1800x1100 (the declared resolution of the projector is 1600x1200 but when i set it to that resolution it says "horizontal frequency reached its limit" and i cannot even adjust the convergence or the alignement). For the PC theorically there shouldn't be any problem because the display of my laptop is 1080p, so it can display a resolution a bit lower. So anyone of you ever used Powestrip to do so? Is there the possibility that setting the projector to like 1800x1100 will damage the projector of like the graphic card of the PC?
hansilili

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If powerstrip supports your grafic card you can use Powerstrip to create custom resolutions, it not then you use CRU Custom Resolution Utility.

If you feed a resolution with too high bandwitdh the NEC won't syncronize and stay black - no permanet damage. Neither to the PC. It is handy to create a remote desktop connection to your PC or any other PlanB or you will loose control if the NEC goes out of sync. Then you can play around and test what's best for you.

The optimum resolution is determined by the vertical reolution of your content and the aspect ratio of your screen. If you don't mind the flicker (I don't) then a good resolution is 1920 x 819 48 p, play around with the frequency and see if you like 72 Hz interlaced better. Also you should create a 720p and/or 1080p resolution, try to stay as low as possible with the frequeny. The projector probably won't sync to 1080p60 (some do some don't).

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the PG xtras all were able to lock on 1080p (if they are healthy), at least the four I saw all did.
Not sure why would you use any resolution with x1100 vertical lines, if you watch movies. For movies I've tried several resolutions with my PG xtra, used 720P 72Hz, (1600x)900P 72Hz, 1080i 96Hz, It seems I am more sensitive to flicker then most of the people here, I found the 1080i 96Hz to be the smoothest, plus it is "full HD" so all detail you lose is lost at the projector only, and not with scaling. It only needs 54kHz scanrate and it isn't stressing the projector much at all.

I've also used powerstrip, yes you need a vga chip which is supported by the software, if you still have trouble with that, try to force maximum resolution to the projector (for example by installing the driver of the sony fw900), some VGA cards locks resolutions above 1600x1200 if they are not getting back EDID information from the monitor.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for you're advices, i tried the program (CRU) and works perfectly and it's really easy to use. I tried different resolutions, like 1920x1080i, 1700x1080, 1800x1080, but i can't get a thing: on the manual of the NEC it says that the video bandwidth of the projector is 100 MHz, but when i use CRU, near the name of the resolution appear the bandwidth of the signal at that resolution and there are numbers that goes fra beyond 100 MHz.

I have got that the bandwidth increases and decreases respect to the refresh rate, the orizontal pixels and the vertical lines, but how can the projector display a 1600x1200p or 1600x900p signal if the bandwidth of the signal at that resolution is more than 100 MHz? Becuase to CRU, the bandwidth of 1600x1200p is 153 MHz at 60 Hz of refresh rate.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to care with the bandwidth number of the projector, it is rarely a true value, think of it rather a pointer how good the projector is. Actually the PG xtra is specificated very conservatively in this regard, it outperforms many (if not all) Barco projectors in bandwidth which have higher BW numbers...
What you see in the CRU is not the actual bandwidth of the signal it is the pixel clock (which is a higher number) of course there is a relation between the two.
If you send a far higher bandwidth signal to the projector than it could resolve well, the projector will still display it, but you may notice loss in the fine details.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are still jumping to conclusions as nobody has yet put a signal generator unfiltered input on a barco cine 9 as far as I know and the Moome/mp modded input is not yet available for Barco. So we really don't know this for sure and you don't have any evidence to back up this clame. You only don't have the evidence to back up the opposite clame. If I am wrong please give us the evidence or a link to it.

But apart form that the Nec must have an incredible bandwidth and that has been proven indead. Probable better than anything else stock. To get the most out of it buy a moome/mp internal hdmi.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
You are still jumping to conclusions as nobody has yet put a signal generator unfiltered input on a barco cine 9 as far as I know and the Moome/mp modded input is not yet available for Barco. So we really don't know this for sure and you don't have any evidence to back up this clame. You only don't have the evidence to back up the opposite clame. If I am wrong please give us the evidence or a link to it.

But apart form that the Nec must have an incredible bandwidth and that has been proven indead. To get the most out of it buy a moome/mp internal hdmi.

Excuse me, I was not saying anything about your cine 9 this time -and deliberately- instead I used an "IF"... I had the BG808s' claimed 120MHz BW in the top of my head when I wrote that, which I had the chance to see (better said: not see) in person...

Let's clarify if we talk about über modified machines or stock machines... when barco told xxx MHz from a machine, I bet they didn't say it because they calculated that 10 or 20 years later Mike Parker or Greg Eisemann will modify them to live up to their originally said performance.

You can take a look at again the pictures I took with my 9PG xtra in this thread. I took them just for fun... All the pictures were taken with a filtered VGA with a 5 BNC cable output from my htpc, moreover, the 720P 120Hz shot was done with a "crappy" integrated intel GMA950 vga card, to me it looks like the projector resolved that quite well -and this was a barely modified machine. So let's compare apples with apples, I am yet to see a similarly resolved 720P - 120Hz pattern on a stock BG808s, Cine 8 or not to mention the Cine 9. And this is only 118MHz pixel clock or so Wink

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here this is an example of a HD video dac. There is at most 40/50 MHz coming out this one in HD mode 2x oversampling. Don't see how you could test bandwidth with such a video dac as a 1080p one on one needs something like 210MHz three harmonics on half the pixel clock (145MHz).

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADV7330.pdf
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
redfox001 wrote:

But apart form that the Nec must have an incredible bandwidth and that has been proven indead. To get the most out of it buy a moome/mp internal hdmi.

Excuse me, I was not saying anything about your cine 9 this time -and deliberately- instead I used an "IF"... I had the BG808s' claimed 120MHz BW in the top of my head when I wrote that, which I had the chance to see (better said: not see) in person...

Let's clarify if we talk about über modified machines or stock machines... when barco told xxx MHz from a machine, I bet they didn't say it because they calculated that 10 or 20 years later Mike Parker or Greg Eisemann will modify them to live up to their originally said performance.

You can take a look at again the pictures I took with my 9PG xtra in this thread. I took them just for fun... All the pictures were taken with a filtered VGA with a 5 BNC cable output from my htpc, moreover, the 720P 120Hz shot was done with a "crappy" integrated intel GMA950 vga card, to me it looks like the projector resolved that quite well -and this was a barely modified machine. So let's compare apples with apples, I am yet to see a similarly resolved 720P - 120Hz pattern on a stock BG808s, Cine 8 or not to mention the Cine 9. And this is only 118MHz pixel clock or so Wink

I must be missing something on these input filters is there perhaps a desktop mode on these things that allows higher bandwidth to be put out? If so than indeed the Barco is proven not to resolve it.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Here this is an example of a HD video dac. There is at most 40/50 MHz coming out this one in HD mode 2x oversampling. Don't see how you could test bandwidth with such a video dac as a 1080p one on one needs something like 210MHz three harmonics on half the pixel clock (145MHz).

So what?

I may seem to be egoist, but in this thread I measured VGA card's output performance, the very same GMA950 VGA card was the slowest amongst all I measured, it produced only 200MHz bandwidth at the output...

Let's summarize what I 've done:
I showed you a testpattern that was taken in 720P-120Hz with a projector which has 100MHz advertised bandwidth, and even the output of the VGA card was limited at 200MHz.
What we got? A quite well resolved pattern!

Now it's your turn to show a 720P - 120Hz close up with your barco cine max (with its 180MHz advertised bandwidth), and I don't even care if you don't have the same crappy GMA950 at hand, you can use any better DAC.

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:

Aaaaarch I think my calculation with the three harmonics is bull****. Very sorry. The on on one is resolved at 1/2*145 Mhz = 75 MHz.

That frequency will get through the filters of most regular video dac (except maybe the one above) and indeed the bandwidth of the projector must be the bottle neck.

Thanks!
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
redfox001 wrote:

So what?

I may seem to be egoist, but in this thread I measured VGA card's output performance, the very same GMA950 VGA card was the slowest amongst all I measured, it produced only 200MHz bandwidth at the output...

I showed you a testpattern that was taken in 720P-120Hz with a projector which has 100MHz advertised bandwidth, and even the output of the VGA card was limited at 200MHz.

Now it's your turn to show a 720P - 120Hz close up with your barco cine max (with its 180MHz advertised bandwidth), and I don't even care if you don't have the same crappy GMA950 at hand, you can use any better DAC.

Your intel graphics card ha s aresoluton of 2048x1536 @77 Man! I am going to build a htpc with it.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
redfox001 wrote:

So what?

I still have a vga video dac that is filtered normal like any video dac and is only 1920x1200 capable. That one was a little better than my internal hdmi that has a filtered video dac at an even lower frequency which is not bad but just will not show the test pictures resolved.

I have to get a htpc to test or something because the specs of these 'crappy' vga cards are far better as you confromed with measurements.

Soooooo lets not jump to conclusions yet Wink Francisco is still working on it too with Moome.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Your intel graphics card ha s aresoluton of 2048x1536 @77 Man! I am going to build a htpc with it.

LOL, You just said a few days ago that the htpcs are crap! Very Happy
Besides I'm not using the intel GMA anymore, instead the GeForce 7950GT which did 375MHz analog bandwidth, but honestly I didn't notice any difference, not even in test patterns!

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
redfox001 wrote:

LOL, You just said a few days ago that the htpcs are crap! Very Happy
Besides I'm not using the intel GMA anymore, instead the GeForce 7950GT which did 375MHz analog bandwidth, but honestly I didn't notice any difference, not even in test patterns!

No no don't get me wrong I said the software in windows was not so good it allways stuttered but that was years ago so maybe i have to try again.

I do think that the 1080p specified video dacs will have there 3 db at 1080p to get to the specs and be cheap. These video cards are spect much higher and might be flat till 1080p. Very Happy
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these things really have analogue outputs at these resolutions?

Max Analog: 2048x1536
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am thinking this has been tried enough with a good htpc and the cine 9 so yes you are right the cine 9 can not resolve 1080p so has a bandwidth below 75 MHz probable close to 30 MHz. Or one could say the -3db is at 75MHz.

That is kind of a bummer lol Very Happy
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Do these things really have analogue outputs at these resolutions?

Max Analog: 2048x1536

They told so... The rule of thumb with htpc is if you get everything up and running don't touch it just use it, turn off automatic updates etc..

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: