Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

RGBHV or HDMI run to high lumen digital LCD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: RGBHV or HDMI run to high lumen digital LCD? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
OK guys, here's one for ya. I'm quoting a replacement projector for a 400 seat multipurpose room/theater way out of town.

They have a very expensive ($150K) A/V system that thanks to Crestron never worked right. They want to simplify the system that they've spend $1000s on to maintain over the last 8 years, and one of the things that needs updating is their Panasonic 720p projector:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-D7700UK.htm

What the original reputable A/V company put in was a couple of HDMI and VGA ports, and had some video switcher in the rack, along with an HDMI to CAT 5 receiver/transmitter unit to run between the rack and the projector (maybe 60' total).

The signal apparently was intermittent, and the maintenance guy narrowed it down to the RxTx boxes, as an HDMI cable fed directly to the projector worked fine. he sent it into the AV company a few times, and each time it tested OK.

Now, the simplified system will use a new projector, similar lumens, and they will only need the HD feed from an HD box, a BR player and an external VGA and HDMI plugin.

I was thinking, the 60ish foot run will remain the same.. maybe it's better to use a Moome box to go from the HDMI sources to RGBHV, then use an RGBHV switcher to switch between the HDMI source and the laptop computer plugin? Run RGBHV up to the projector instead of CAT5?

Whatcha think?
RayN999

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you do a long run of something like RG8 mini with BNC or RCA connectors for the RGBHV, there should be relatively minimal loss over that distance. Years ago, I was still working at a local RatShack in WI, there was a sports bar that wanted a video run for about 100' from source to the CRT projector on the ceiling. They tried various different cable types without success. Once we made up the 'snake' with BNCs on it and they got it installed, their issues cleared right up. The projector was a Zenith something or another, but I know they were running the component inputs instead of composite.

The RG8 mini is a higher velocity but lower SWR than some of the other 50 ohm cable types, but it's a bit easier to wrestle than the full size RG8. I've been a ham radio operator for years & it's the cable of choice for high bandwidth & low SWR, and I know that these video signals are at a similar or lower frequency than some of the stuff we operate at.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others can weigh in better on the subject.

Ray

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I've got the RGB cable in stock, and yes, have done 100' runs with no issues. I'm more concerned about the HDMI signal glitching..
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit OT... but....

What are they doing with the PT-D7700UK? And if its the D7700UK its not native WXGA, its SXGA. (Interested in it either way Wink )

TV/Projector: Sony VPL-VW60 and Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done too much with HDMI except over short distances in my own house, so I'm not sure how to weigh in on the hdmi switching end of things. Sorry.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, they will keep it. that's what was put in originally in 2006-2007.

BC put in a bunch of 'Olympic viewing sites' around BC, preparing for the 2010 Winter Olympics. The gov't spent mega $$ on these sites. This 400 seat theater has JBL speakers, Crest power, Clear-Com intercom system (that they never have used!), and that massive Crestron control system that's also a POS for them. I'll most likely get everything but the projector on trade, so I will hvae a rarely used Crestron system up for sale. At least 2 7" touch screens (wired), and 3 control rack mount units, etc. Also, a 16 channel Soundcraft mixer.

that is of course, if I get the job..... Will post if it happens, in October most likely.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, they always want the projector! Razz Well it was worth asking about Smile
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might offer them some paltry sum to see if they are interested, but I doubt it..
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill say go digital for a digital projector, if you can make it work right. That should make for a better PQ, if that have any importance.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, it's more for presentation use, not for theater. the place is 6 hours away, not a chance I'm going to 'try' anything to see if it works on site! Very Happy
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a heavy duty HDMI cable from Blue Jeans? HDMI isn't the greatest but 60 feet doesn't sound unreasonable.

RGBHV might be more reliable....

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this place is 500Km away. When I do out of town installations 'isn't the greatest', or 'it should work', are not phrases I use.

I look the customer in the eye, and say 'IT WILL WORK FOR A REALLY EFFING LONG TIME'.

That's my industry standard.

My customers believe me, and I retain them. End of story.

I've got 3 HDMI inputs, and two VGA inputs. I'll use 3 Moome external boxes to convert to RGBHV, and will use an Extron switcher rack mounted to select sources. Done deal. Reliable. Cheap.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Again, this place is 500Km away. When I do out of town installations 'isn't the greatest', or 'it should work', are not phrases I use.

I look the customer in the eye, and say 'IT WILL WORK FOR A REALLY EFFING LONG TIME'.

That's my industry standard.

My customers believe me, and I retain them. End of story.

I've got 3 HDMI inputs, and two VGA inputs. I'll use 3 Moome external boxes to convert to RGBHV, and will use an Extron switcher rack mounted to select sources. Done deal. Reliable. Cheap.

I agree with your standard all the way Curt Thumbs Up I won't comment on the installs as I don't do them professionally, and I don't want to be wrong Razz

CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding this out more and more as I get back into sound installs. Some other company installs a 6 figure system, but the last 5-10% never works right. I then come in and do the clean-up work. I foresee a lot of ground work over the next 18 months, but it wouldn't surprise me if I could do $500K in 2016, which, for a 1 man show more or less is huge. Time to scare the big players. Very Happy

Just TRY and get the competitors to source an external Moome box! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Digital Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: