Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Marquee questions to the experts!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
redfox001 wrote:
Guys think of it this way. When you record with 1920 pixels horizontal this means you make 1920 samples. The bandwidth theorem from Shannon or Nyquist states that you can at most record a sinus wave of 960 Hz this way. You can not record a square wave of 960 Hz because that would need at least three harmonics or three times the 1920 sample rate.

So if you have a black and white pattern of 320 Hz or 320 pixels in width 320 white black parts that should resolve 100 %.
The one on one picture was made with something like photoshop. It is not possible to record that with a camera.

Think of a cd recording. It is done at 44 Khz. The highest sinus in it is 20 Khz. With 20 Khz you can not make a square 20 KHz wave that would need 3 times 44 KHz recording speed at least.

However if tou had access to the bytes of the audio recording you could make a silent byte and than a full volume byte in a square wave and call it a test sound. That is what we are doing with these test pictures. The best square testsound you coul record would be a 7 kHz square wave. It is all physics. Everything above 20 KHz is filtered in the cd player so everything above 100 Mhz is filtered in the video dac for 1080 p.

This is the difference between real world and testpictures. tim is very clear on it when he calls it rediculous high numbers. He says that is why a lot of people don't note a big difference between very high bandwidth crt and lower bandwidth. The only thing the higher bandwidth gives is a flatter response in the area that matters. That might bring out some detail and perhaps subtitles that are photoshopped on the picture come out sharper? This does explain why the picture I see looks very good on my Barco and the difference with 720p is very very small except in the subtitles where it is a little better visible. Also the computer desktop is much sharper of cause being a artificial generated picture with sharp characters.

I will however not beat you guys to dead with this story. Just remember to look at real movies if you see something and perhaps the flatter response is noticable when you are very sensitive to it. I might notice it myself. However when I am going to modify the video chain I will not strife for high bandwidth at the cost of peaking destroying the flatness or bandwidth introducing video noise. We have to be carfull with that. it is just more complicated to do a MP mod.

'
I think you should stick to NTSC DVD, i dont thin you will notice a difference, it might even be suficciant with NTSC laserdisc.

And the players are loading much much faster, and they all have composite video out.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what you are refering to. In fact I think that if your display make perfect black and white form pixels that where in reality a sine wave than your display is artificially enhancing the image but that might look extra sharp it is not real. And this is exactly what I see when comparing 100 % resolved material on 720p with not 100% resolved material. I like the latter a little more. Now I know why Wink
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Guys think of it this way. When you record with 1920 pixels horizontal this means you make 1920 samples. The bandwidth theorem from Shannon or Nyquist states that you can at most record a sinus wave of 960 Hz this way. You can not record a square wave of 960 Hz because that would need at least three harmonics or three times the 1920 sample rate.

So if you have a black and white pattern of 320 Hz or 320 pixels in width 320 white black parts that should resolve 100 %.
The one on one square wave can not be recorded with a camera. The camera can not distiguish between the sinus and the square wave.

Think of a cd recording. It is done at 44 Khz. The highest sinus in it is 20 Khz. With 20 Khz you can not make a square 20 KHz wave that would need 3 times 44 KHz recording speed at least.

The best square testsound you coul record would be a 7 kHz square wave. It is all physics. Everything above 20 KHz is filtered in the cd player so everything above 100 Mhz is filtered in the video dac for 1080 p.

This is the difference between real world and testpictures. tim is very clear on it when he calls it rediculous high numbers. He says that is why a lot of people don't note a big difference between very high bandwidth crt and lower bandwidth. The only thing the higher bandwidth gives is a flatter response in the area that matters. That might bring out some detail. This does explain why the picture I see looks very good on my Barco and the difference with 720p is very very small.

I will however not beat you guys to dead with this story. Just remember to look at real movies if you see something and probable the flatter response is noticable when you are very sensitive to it. I might notice it myself. However when I am going to modify the video chain I will not strife for high bandwidth at the cost of peaking destroying the flatness or bandwidth introducing video noise. We have to be carfull with that. it is just more complicated to do a MP mod.

Edited some confusing text away.

You are forcing the wrong method here, did you get what I wrote how are the images are digitized? Think of a digital camera, can you take a shot of a 1:1 pixel pattern? Sure! Will it conflict with Nyquist and Shannon? No! The pixel clock is not the same as the video sampling rate!

High bandwidth signals occuring in real world too, not that often, but there are, and this isn't mean that you don't need high bandwidth, it is just lucky situation, so you get an enjoyable picture with a lower video bandwidth too.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
I don't understand what you are refering to. In fact I think that if your display make perfect black and white form pixels that where in reality a sine wave than your display is artificially enhancing the image but that might look extra sharp it is not real. And this is exactly what I see when comparing 100 % resolved material on 720p with not 100% resolved material. I like the latter a little more. Now I know why Wink

And 720P is a downscaled format where you have all sorts of compromise. I think you talk in West, and im in East, so dont think we get any further, ill just stick to on screen performance of different formats involving different processors, and analog video chains, while you try to figure out whats paper specs is important or not.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is ok for me and your god right and I am just learning. Perhaps I am wrong but I looked at this link and it backs me up but you and MP too.

This link that Gjaky presented some time ago but was not understood by me than says that we need 71 MHz for a UXGA resolution. Now I said we need 100 MHz for 1080p. That is about right but this link also says that for 71 MHz to be flat the electronics need to be 301 MHz to 701 MHz depending on what quality you prefer. If you translate that to 1080p you will get in to the high bandwidth requirements that MP has achieved with your machine and that you are so perfectly testing. Lets say 500 MHz to 1 GHz (with peaking we can go a little lower don't know how much)

Now this means that the Barco is having a less flat response a little lower quality than the MP boards. That could very well be visible as I said before and that might be what you see as several experts confirm it. So the lesson is you are not looking at bandwidth but at flat bandwidth if you get it.

Now one thing is strange that you should at max resolve the 3 on 3 pixel. I stay with that point of view for now. the fact that you are resolving more makes me think that there might be a benefit in filtering steep and more. You might be lookiig at alias info or peaking or what ????

I think the best CRt would be a CRt that give flat one on one at 1080p one pixel with a signal generator that is unfiltered. After that we should use a video hdmi solution that filters to get the 3 on 3 perfect. That might give something visual less unnatural and very deep in sharpness.

Look at table: Table: Performance Requirements for Various Video Standards
http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/750

Quote:

The circuits that process video signals need to have more bandwidth than the actual bandwidth of the processed signal to minimize the degradation of the signal and the resulting loss in picture quality. The amount the circuit bandwidth needs to exceed the highest frequency in the signal is a function of the quality desired.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happy with a perfect 3:3 resolution then you already reached video nirvana... actually a Sony 1270 resolves the 3:3 on 1080p both in bandwidth and focus.

I've made two pictures which are actual cutouts from 1080p movies plus added a resolution pattern, it's just me probably (and Stridsvognen, and JBMeyer...) but I wouldn't be happy if I only could resolve the 3:3 perfectly...

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
If you happy with a perfect 3:3 resolution then you already reached video nirvana... actually a Sony 1270 resolves the 3:3 on 1080p both in bandwidth and focus.

I've made two pictures which are actual cutouts from 1080p movies plus added a resolution pattern, it's just me probably (and Stridsvognen, and JBMeyer...) but I wouldn't be happy if I only could resolve the 3:3 perfectly...

Hmm don't know. Reread what I wrote. I like the real resolution more than the enhancements. I do fafor high bandwidth but if the Barco filters the result in the final chip that is not allways a problem. The picture is just stunning as everyon knows who has a 909 or alike. You are a little to much relying on stories from testpictures I think.

Barco uses the very good hfa1100 all the way. Might not be the best in these days but better than the ones used in those days. I will however upgrade all of them.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
The best square testsound you coul record would be a 7 kHz square wave. It is all physics. Everything above 20 KHz is filtered in the cd player so everything above 100 Mhz is filtered in the video dac for 1080 p.

You seem to conseqently ignore my point regarding the video digitalization techniques, can you please point me where is it stated the video signal is filtered in the DAC?

A video DAC which accepts pixel clocks up to 400MHz (just like one on the PC's video card) must handle 1:1 pixel arrays in analog domain even with 400MHz pixel clock, as it is a legit signal in the digital domain, even though it is very painful to build the analog circuits to handle the needed bandwidth... Also when I measured my VGA card output with the oscilloscope I used 800x600 60Hz signal on them that's 30MHz pixel clock, 15MHz square wave frequency on 1:1, the best measured rise and fall time was 1,6ns and the oscilloscope had alone 1,3ns rise time, so that suggested a 375MHz bandwidth signal on output. Again, 800x600 60Hz, 30MHz pixel clock, the output bandwidth still at 375MHz.

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Barco uses the very good hfa1100 all the way. Might not be the best in these days but better than the ones used in those days. I will however upgrade all of them.

It's not all about what is used, rather than how...

In the NEC PG xtra there are 3 ICs in the signal path and a couple transistors. The first ic is advertised with 100MHz (not 500 or 1000) bandwidth, the second with 200MHz (and it isn't even quite up to it!), the half of video output is a VPA13 (130MHz), the other half is made up from discrete transistors. If you calculate the rise times you'll find yourself in the 70MHz range. And it resolves 1080P bandwidth wise on 1:1. They sold the 9PG xtra with 100MHz bandwidth, the 6PG xtra was sold as it has 80MHz bandwidth, but they were the same in fact.
The preamplifier section of the video chain in the NEC remained almost intact from 1993, the neckboard was introduced in 1995.

When was the 909 introduced, '99 or so? 180MHz bandwidth? A 7" 6PG xtra with "80MHz" has more bandwidth. Come on! Thumbs Down

redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first part of your message is interesting why change the tone? If this is the tone I will end my contributions as it seems we starting a fight and I will try to avoid that. It also means you do not have arguments anymore. Why not leave the others with there stuff. I am not praising Barco just for people that have never seen one I do see your screenshots every night in quality. How is that possible with such a bad performance Wink Best wishes.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
The first part of your message is interesting why change the tone? If this is the tone I will end my contributions as it seems we starting a fight and I will try to avoid that. It also means you do not have arguments anymore. Why not leave the others with there stuff. I am not praising Barco just for people that have never seen one I do see your screenshots every night in quality. How is that possible with such a bad performance Wink Best wishes.

This isn't a fight, this isn't personal you can be sure about that!

It just seems I make up points (kinda support them as well) but you keep saying the opposite of them, without supporting it, and doesn't reflect to my point.

You like sharpness, do you? Think of bandwidth as factor that worsen the horizontal resolution. I bet you like the crisp sharp scanlines of your Barco, that's OK, even though the video material rarely contain that hard edges as we already discussed, yet we all appreciate if the scanlines are not overlapping much.
In the horizontal plane the bandwidth is an additional factor which worsen the sharpness, and it may be less important than (optical) sharpness, but if you have (optical) sharpness in vertical plane you need the bandwidth to get the same visual sharpness in both planes.

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are dealing with a digital movie format, so it dont add up in my head to soften it more than needet in the analog chain.

We fight with bad ansi contrast from the design of the CRT projector, on top of that we have noise issues, bandwidth limitations, banding streaking ringing any WHO knows what.

There is plenty of parameters WHO messes up the digital source material, no need to soften it futher lowering the bandwidth.

I know there is no need to lower it on the Barco as its designed to do so all by itself.

I sometimes Wonder how you can say that there is only very Little visible difference with different bandwidth performances. Try a 1080P 72-96hz signal on a CRT WHO can resolve it, and then the same crt with lower bandwidth, so the tubes magnetics noise and optical path is the same.

Ill think the difference is huge on movie material, i think that there is not a standard CRT projector today WHO is worthy of compeeting with a decent digital projector, to go there you need to grab the balls and get something done differently.

Let me hear when you have seen a CRT WHO can do the 1:1 pattern well with all 3 tubes at the same time, and hold it from Black to White without pushing the color balance.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me try one more time. I studied physics and I think I know what i am talking about.

If you have a 1920 one on one black and white pixel line horizontal on a piece of paper. Now you digitise it somehow and that means you make 1920 samples. Than the information you have can not distinguish a sine from a square wave. Think of it the video dac gets these samples and than is asked was this original a square wave or a sinus wave or a triangular wave. The video dac will say he I don't know lets just make it a square so the one on one pattern looks great or no lets leave is a triangular wave.

Either way we don't knoa what it was at first. If it was a guy with a black an white striped piama than you are right! If is was a pattern on a curtain in the shadow than the triangle was right. There is simple no reason to resolve one on one because the information is not in the digitising with 1920 samples.

On the other hand I have placed two more 5166 in my Barco. It looked good I am curious as almost the complet path is upgraded now. And I did it myself )
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Let me try one more time. I studied physics and I think I know what i am talking about.

If you have a 1920 one on one black and white pixel line horizontal on a piece of paper. Now you digitise it somehow and that means you make 1920 samples. Than the information you have can not distinguish a sine from a square wave. Think of it the video dac gets these samples and than is asked was this original a square wave or a sinus wave or a triangular wave. The video dac will say he I don't know lets just make it a square so the one on one pattern looks great or no lets leave is a triangular wave.

Either way we don't knoa what it was at first. If it was a guy with a black an white striped piama than you are right! If is was a pattern on a curtain in the shadow than the triangle was right. There is simple no reason to resolve one on one because the information is not in the digitising with 1920 samples.

On the other hand I have placed two more 5166 in my Barco. It looked good I am curious as almost the complet path is upgraded now. And I did it myself )

I dont think you get it.

Digital video is made of pixels, each pixel has 3 colors, each color has 8bit, to reproduce the digital signal you need to get as close as possible to resolve that.

Dont you ever see hair reflecting light, patterns in clothing, tiny stars on a black sky when you watch movies, details who is high resolution, maybe just a 1 pixel information who will be missed if you need 3 pixel time to get it turned on.?

If you belive so much in your 3X3 resolution, you should at least match both the horizontal and vertical resolving power, maybe some old tired 9" tubes out of focus can do that trick for you.

no matter if the signal is round flat triangle u shaped or whatever, as long as the result on the tube face/ screen is unable to resolve the source signal, you have lost quality, and changed the way it was ment to look like.

In many ways i find DLP projectors to be the reference for 1080P blu ray signals, it has some problems with black, but may hold the reference bandwidth and ansi contrast performance.

So go setup a good 1080P DLP projector, and compare what you see from your CRT, you are missing a shitload of information and fine detail.

so even if you study physics 20 years more you cant change the fact that there is a very very big difference in how a image look related to bandwidth performance in the analog domain on a CRT projector.

Again ill need to ask, when you study physics, how many CRT projectors did you work with able to resolve a 1080P 72-96hz signal on screen.? And how did they compare to what you see on your Barco 909?
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned my physics because I know about Shanon Nyquist information theorie and that is all mathematics. I am not claming much further knowledge far from that. Perhaps you should look up a book on information and smapling theorie Wink Now don't go smoking Smile

He and while you are in a library look up Fourier analyses than you get the harmonics too maybe Sad
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread any longer. If you like your 909 with 720p material then great.

It sounds like you feel that 100% resolved 720p on a pixel based display (digital) is somehow artificially enhanced vs. say 90% resolved 720p on an analog display. From a subjective stand point there are probably many people who might agree with that. Otherwise known as motion resolution debate.

However, it sounds more like you are trying to objectively argue that a CRT PJ fully resolving 1080p/60 or 72hz has no real world advantage over a CRT PJ which is only capable of 720p/60 then it's a faulty argument. The difference may not matter to you but it does to the folks who can see it. You may not even possess acute enough vision to see the differences in the finer details. From my own experience I was quite skeptical of the difference in performance until I witnessed it first hand.

I will agree that test patterns are surely not the same as real world video and are not the end all be all. While a modded Marquee absolutely destroys a 909 on a 1:1 pattern (objectively) the real difference I have noticed is in the low end performance. That's where fully resolved 1080p vs. 720p is quite apparent. For what it's worth I sit under 1.5x screen width.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
I mentioned my physics because I know about Shanon Nyquist information theorie and that is all mathematics. I am not claming much further knowledge far from that. Perhaps you should look up a book on information and smapling theorie Wink Now don't go smoking Smile

He and while you are in a library look up Fourier analyses than you get the harmonics too maybe Sad

While i read books, can you tell me how you experienced the difference in a CRT fully resolving a 1080P 72hz signal vs your 909.?

As i did mentioned before i think you might better like NTSC laserdisc or DVD movie material.

Try the old 9" tube trick with bad focus, to reduce scanlines, and run it 480i 120hz on your 909, it will look much more pleasant.

I guess that will be around 50Mhz, so the 909 should almost be able to resolve that.

And remember not to add scaling or deinterlacing as it might sharpen the image. Wink

Im also sure that the moddet Marquee 9500LC is way to sharp for you, it will blow you out of your socks, might even hurt your eyes. Wink
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:

I'm your man in this! Smile As I studied Electro Engineering I also know about these, and can talk like man to man. Very Happy And you are in the good path regarding this whole bandwidth thing you just fail to get the (right) final conclusion.

In our video chain somewhere there is a video DAC that converts the digital signal to analog voltage levels. If the (8 bit) input on the DAC changes from 0 to 255 it means an off to on transition, The transition speed is only depending on how fast the DAC is, regardless of what is the pixel clock, this time is given in the DAC's spec sheet... there is no alias filtering...

Example:
For the sake of simplicity let's assume in a 1080P video signal indeed everything is filtered above 100 MHz. But your projector as it has limited bandwidth it will filters the signal even further. Let's say, if you have 100MHz bandwidth on the projector you'll see only 70MHz on the screen, which is not great, remember this is sine signal! (these calculations came from the theory of 'rise time of cascaded blocks' which I already linked in this thread)

So for faithful reproduction of a 100MHz sine input signal you will need a projector to have about 200MHz of bandwidth for sine! In reality your Barco is doing less than 100MHz (sine) that's the problem, you also reported this from the screenshots. You fool yourself if you think that is enough. It is true that there are a lot of low frequency components in a movie, but you really loosing detail with the lack of bandwidth...

You can see I calculated with your numbers, Sannon and Nyquist may also R.I.P. none of the laws of physics broken.

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all to funny. One of you brainiacs should actually look at what is actually being done on MP's boards. I think a big surprise would be shown, lol.
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
You guys are all to funny. One of you brainiacs should actually look at what is actually being done on MP's boards. I think a big surprise would be shown, lol.

This isn't a bad idea afterall Very Happy Since Mike isn't even replying to mails lately, it would be bad to loose all the improvements he done... one should reverse engineer all that stuff.

Seriously what I gathered from Mike's work so far is he removes filters where there were, and puts filters where there weren't. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: