Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Ok, NEC GP5000 questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Ok, NEC GP5000 questions... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I know, I know these beasts are from the stone age, but let's go on...

So found this: http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/roehren-projektor-nec/197676969-175-1966?ref=search

A contact has been already made with the seller, he know little about the machine but he swears he bought it as a NEC 9 PG + from a professional company, a trained eye should see however this is a 9" machine, but it is not quite looking like a 10PG, so it is probably a GP5000...
Let's forget the asking price for a moment, and follow me.
I am planning on doing one real, genuine 9" PG xtra (to replace my unwholesome XGLC) -with every features included. This would need a 10PG chassis (obviously). The GP5000 seemingly have everything what I need for this as well, (9" tubes and a matching box).
But what about those tubes, they are said to be very dim, and have little fact about it's focusing capability.
The light output of the tube is usually matter of how hard it is pushed, now as I plan putting in every board from a PG xtra (incl. HVPS) so the light output is probably out of question somewhat.
Still can't decide if the said softness of these machines are coming from the tube construction directly or simply the inferior electronic circuits.
Curt, anyone?

View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to do about neck boards?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That certainly looks like a 10PG to me Gábor... I wouldnt like to be sure though cause the pics are not good angles...

macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure looks like a PG+ to me.
Zolzar

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that's is indeed a GP5000. The case sure looks like a PG10 but the limited observable layout seems to dictate otherwise. I don't see any of the boards below the green tube such as the focus board that the PG10 has. Also is appears that the green the is actually under a hinged board in one of the pictures. Again, the PG10 green is not obstructed by any hinged boards. The only tube in a PG10 that is obstructed is the red. Lastly I don't see the card cage with the system and point boards between the blue and green that are present in the PG10.

The GP5000 was the last air coupled 9" projector made by NEC and unfortunately had a reputation for projecting a very soft dim image.

John
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. I retract my first thought.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was exactly what made me unsure, what i could see of the pic i couldnt tell well enough what was where, but that HV splitter is totally different.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt it LC?

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has HD10 lenses so it must be LC, and looks like it has at least a nice red and green c-element. So I have to buy it at a price, if it turns out to be no go, then selling out the c-elements would save me from loosing money... The seller have no taker since march, so he may want to lower the price Razz

As for the neckboards, I figured out that the PG xtra neckboard actually designed to fit on large necks too as far the pcb is concerned, they used a tapered CRT socket to use them on the small tubes, so I just have to swap the socket with the one that is already in the machine, of course might have to rewire but, no mechanical problem with that as far as I can see.

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a goer then, i dont know if Evan still has those 9" NEC tubes or not, they would be better tubes for the job.

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on the other forum, years back someone ran his GP5000 at 1800x1200, but no pictures unfortunately... I remember A_Rogers put GP3000 tubes in a PG xtra just for fun, and he said it was sharp, again no pictures unfortunately...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably be as much the set driving the tubes as it is the tubes themselves...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: