Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Announcing the Fourth East Coast Blendzilla Meet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
+1 for me. Seems to me that the digitals are getting worse for lack of depth, I stated this on another thread re flat screen displays that I see at Costco all the time. 'Flat' is definitely the operative word on 'flat screen'.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, comparing JVC's lowest end DILA (MSRP of $4999, native contrast ratio of 60,000:1) with two of the highest end CRTs that combined probably had an MSRP of over $100K, isn't entirely fair.

Not so much for the price difference but because they're in different leagues. A better comparison would have been with the DLA-X900 (MSRP of $11999, native contrast ratio of 150,000:1).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kal, it was a good enough comparison. Dillon's JVC has the DI and e-shift, so it was capable. The overall black floor was lower on the CRT, but it is only something that a very few people would be concerned about. Unfortunately for Dillon, he didn't get to do any sort of calibration, because well the blend wasn't done.

Honestly I am not going to get into the picture comparison. Different strokes for different folks. I will say I don't think I would have had the patience that William has had over the last almost eight years to get the pjs and blend working.

Now, back at the ranch!!

Mega Thanks to William for hosting the event and letting us stay at his palatial estate! Thumbs Up

Words can't describe how accommodating and considerate William and his wife (and Peanut) were in opening up their home to us. At this point, I believe Little Dog may need a title. How about Awesome Dog? Very Happy

Don's bbq was excellent as usual. It would have been great to have seen you in person, but the meat was a nice consolation. Wink

Kurt and Steve were great in helping diagnose problems and set up the blend. First time meeting Kurt and I know we have had our disagreements in the past, but we got along great. In the end, we are all here for the same thing.

Mark Seaton came by and adjusted the sound. This made the audio probably the finest HT sound system I have heard in a person's home. Mark showed us a 24" sub that could have sunk the Titanic. I think he has one in mind for a new sub. It should be interesting to see what is coming down the line from Seaton Sound in the near future.

Mark Haflich and Dillon came by on Friday and Saturday night. Dinner was fun at the oldest restaurant in the US. Haflich as a Sony 1100 and is more than satsified, while Dillon is the digital equivalent of some of us over here. He has owned and tested over 20 digitals all at the tender age of 25. He has the passion that I probably used to have at that age.

UncleWill came by on Saturday. He is relatively new to CRT, but seemed to enjoy himself. This was his first meet, so he got to see a huge blend and reference audio. Not a bad way to be indoctrinated. Twisted Evil

Finally, Rocco was great. Is he my new favorite Steve? Twisted Evil Naw, maybe it is a tie. I know a lot of guys go back and forth with Steve, but he is a nice guy. What most people don't know is the guy knows his audio. He used to be in the industry and spent a couple of hours in deep technical talk with Seaton. So when he says it that this is the best HT audio he has heard then it has a little weight behind the comment. By the way, I wasn't totally lost on what you guys were talking about. I just haven't really followed audio in years, so my knowledge base is a little rusty.

One last thing, a little birdy told me that there will be a Western Coast blend coming soon. I am thinking 2015 could be the year of the meets. Shocked

P1010759a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  556.01 KB
 Viewed:  6359 Time(s)

P1010759a.JPG

P1010760a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  574.32 KB

P1010760a.JPG

P1010761a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  551.43 KB

P1010761a.JPG

P1010765a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  395.4 KB

P1010765a.JPG

P1010770a.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.74 KB

P1010770a.JPG

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Kurt and his brother are driving up to NY and then maybe heading to a couple of other places. Give them a PM if you are in the Northeast and they might drop by. I told them they should head to Chicago, but I don't think they will make it that far. Maybe just Buffalo to do a blend comparison, if Nash cane handle it. Twisted Evil

For the blenders, I noticed that Geo has a new blending box. This is the company that supplied some chips to a certain pj company that is know and loved around here. No price is mentioned.

http://www.vnstw.com/en/products_02.asp
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GeoBox/581611271867056
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG2uI4-6SLk
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another hugely successful meet! Sorry I was unable to make it. Been under the weather.........
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We missed you Big D!

Where in the US are the brothers Denmark? Have they had their fill of Greek food yet?Laughing
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
We missed you Big D!

Where in the US are the brothers Denmark? Have they had their fill of Greek food yet?Laughing

On my doorstep in about 2.5 hours;-)

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got out of bed. Went to eat at Hooters last night. I did not like the food there, so wonder why there were so many guests there😊
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Just got out of bed. Went to eat at Hooters last night. I did not like the food there, so wonder why there were so many guests there😊

What did you have? The only thing to get there (IMHO) is the wings. Of course the scenery is usually nice.

Seegs108

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:

Mark Haflich and Dillon came by on Friday and Saturday night. Dinner was fun at the oldest restaurant in the US. Haflich as a Sony 1100 and is more than satsified, while Dillon is the digital equivalent of some of us over here. He has owned and tested over 20 digitals all at the tender age of 25. He has the passion that I probably used to have at that age.

Ahem...currently the tally is 43 different digital projectors. Neutral Mr. Green

The list is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1435591-look-what-avs-made-me-do.html

Yes....I'm nuts. I'm aware haha.

-Dylan
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where in the US are the brothers Denmark? Have they had their fill of Greek food yet? Laughing

The older brother Denmark just called. They are on their way back down to Northern Virginia today. They are going to stop by Mike Parker's house, and pick up my 8 neckboards. (They had dropped off the 8 neckboards at Mike's house this past Tuesday, as they started their journey North.) Mike has been working to figure out a solution to my "noise" problem. We will install the neckboards tonight, and test them tonight, to see if the noise problem is solved. They will be staying at my house until they fly to Denmark on Tuesday, October 28.

Kurt and Peer have also offered to take us to the Red Fox Inn for dinner tonight, as a thank you for Cheryl and I hosting them at our country Inn for 8 days on this trip.

Pray for my neckboards.

Little Dog

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Kurt and Peer showed up around 6:30 PM. They brought my Mike Parker modified neckboards with them. We first went out to dinner at the Hunter's Head English pub (The Red Fox Inn was all booked for the entire evening). Upon returning, Kurt and I removed the old stock neckboards we had installed last Monday. We then installed the new neckboards and fired up the blend. No noise. We have been watching ATSC images for over an hour, and still no video noise. We will leave the system on most of tomorrow, to see if longer viewing times bring the noise back. As of right now, the video noise issue seems to have been resolved.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Fingers crossed that the noise doesn't come back. Anyway of knowing before and after component changes he's made between the noisy boards and the current ones?

Steve

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time has come for a goodbye movie on the blend☹
mp20748

TV/Projector: 9500LC Ultra / Super 02 and 03 VIM

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wkosmann wrote:
As of right now, the video noise issue seems to have been resolved.

Nope, and based on my phone conversations with Kurt most of the day. The noise problem still exist, but is different.

Here's a little history on this. There has been a noise problem on that setup for years. But let's start out by going back maybe 4 or 5 years. After much troubleshooting, I had William do a power grid upgrade, that involves having an electrician put multiple copper rods into the ground. And then have them all cadwelded together in the ground and then welded to his electrical box. And this past summer, after William dropped his board off for upgrade, he also wanted the Glycol replaced in the CRTs, and once more for me to look at that noise problem that comes and goes.

But this time I arrive with my Dranetz Power Analyzer, in hopes of being able to rule out the problem being on his AC. While there, I plugged the unit in, but no noise. So we did not bother to go further, but went on the remove all six CRTs to replace the Glycol. After doing the CRTs and for the remaining of the day - No noise. And let me say at that same time the modified boards were all installed on both projectors. And both had been on for hours, while we got everything back up and running.

Sometime later, maybe a few days or longer, William informs me that there is noise in the picture. I once more reminded him that they noise is the same that has come and gone. But this time we had the board dropped back off to me. I was not able to duplicate the noise problem on my Marquee, but thought it might be the cables, so we made up a set of cables. And after William picked those up, for some short period of time, the noise came back. So we tried various things from there, but my thought was as it had been for years is that there must either be an external interference problem in that room, or with my biggest suspect was the left projector, because the noise was always more dominate on the left projector. Or on the left projector only.

William sent the boards back to me by Kurt several days ago after the weekend, and since still was not to duplicate the problem, I made a change to them that lowered to chance for parasitic oscillation. Kurt came back on his way to Williams the other day and installed them. And the results of that was in Williams last post ("....seems to be resolved).

It's not. The noise that was present or was the noise of complaint, was no longer a problem, but based on my conversations over the day with Kurt, he spent the day running down a different noise on the LEFT projector...

So with all the board swapping and everything else today and last week. We all agreed that either the mother board be replaced in the left projector, or swap it with another chassis all together. And that seem to be where things were from my last conversation.

Now, William complained about noise before I reinstalled the changed boards, and that is why I took my Analyzer with me when I went to his house to install the boards. So as I've been telling him for years, there is either a noise in that left projector, or there is some spurious noise somewhere in or around that room. The higher bandwidth of the boards is doing exactly what it should, and that is show on the screen what's also getting into the video chain. The later neck board mods are noiseless and have been for awhile.

The bandwidth of the neck boards are well over 200mhz. In the past it was not easy to get that high of a bandwidth result without there being a potential for noise from the original chassis design. This has since been solved more than a year ago. but we know that even with some stock neck boards, some Marquee chassis has had a noise problem. this has nothing to do with mods. And this has been the main reason to replace the mother board. I have been able to get around that and still have the higher bandwidth, but I may not be able to make that happen on previously upgraded boards if there is a noisy chassis
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last of my Fourth East Coast Blendzilla Meet attendees have left. The brothers Denmark (Kurt and Peer) are on a plane headed East over the pond to Denmark. This (for me) closes the last chapter on this Meet. Much very good work was accomplished on the entire system. The geometry is almost perfectly nailed, as is the optical and electronic focus, and the astigmatism, all thanks mostly to Mr. Ro Co. After testing for a few days to make sure that the visible video noise will not reappear, I will perform a new grayscale calibration, and that should put the finishing touches on the Blend System for a while.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who made the effort to attend the Meet. Things were very hectic leading up to Saturday, October the 18th. Even on that day Steve was "staring at the boxes" for many hours, and Kurt was performing a 10 minute grayscale calibration by eye. The result was a very good seamless image for the Meet attendees. Mark Seaton chipped in with an audio calibration while we were playing demo material, materially increasing the quality of the audio system. The final result was an exceptional Home Theater environment to view movies, sports, demo material, and music.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I was wondering do you have the Frankenyokes? Did it improve anything with the modified video boards?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just arived back home.
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Just arived back home.

Glad you made it back safe !!

It was nice meeting you and your brother.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
wkosmann

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi I was wondering do you have the Frankenyokes? Did it improve anything with the modified video boards?

Nope. No stinking Frankenyokes in my system. I have gone down a different path. Mr. Ro Co did have the frankenyokes in his system once upon a time, and he has removed them. They are not needed in an optimally set up high video channel bandwidth Marquee Ultra system, where every reasonable attempt has been made to lower the noise floor in the projector(s). Such a system is fully able to resolve the smallest objects viewable in 1080P video. Mr. Ro Co, please feel free to add to these sentiments. Also, Mr. Stridsvognen, please feel free to add to these sentiments.

Mr. Stridsvognen, congratulations on safely returning home. I trust that Mr. Peer also safely returned home, and that you two did not have to sit next to Sumo wrestlers on the way back. I shall lift a toast of Glenlivet Nadurra fine casket aged Scotch single malt whisky in your honor. Some time soon after, I shall lift a toast of Glenmorangie rare casket aged Scotch single malt whisky in Mr. Peer's honor. And then, I shall throw the glass(es) into the fireplace. (At that point, my wife will be shooing me out of the house with a 14 gauge.........)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: