Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Announcing the Fourth East Coast Blendzilla Meet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kurt making Tom Cruise look 80.

IMG_2205.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.48 KB
 Viewed:  6517 Time(s)

IMG_2205.JPG

View user's photo album (21 photos)
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing pool with Kurt and Mr. Roco (Steve)

IMG_2186.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.98 KB
 Viewed:  6507 Time(s)

IMG_2186.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt mid-way to making a pocket.

IMG_2185.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.37 KB
 Viewed:  6504 Time(s)

IMG_2185.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The competition.

IMG_2139.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.6 KB
 Viewed:  6498 Time(s)

IMG_2139.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVC LCOS on the left.

IMG_2138.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  193.24 KB
 Viewed:  6495 Time(s)

IMG_2138.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A jerry-rigged platform for the JVC plus the anamorphic lens.

IMG_2165.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.37 KB
 Viewed:  6492 Time(s)

IMG_2165.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpankyHam (aka Eric).

I swear he doesn't look that blurry in real life.

IMG_2167.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.56 KB
 Viewed:  6490 Time(s)

IMG_2167.JPG

Last edited by UncleWill on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking out the STARS WARS de-specialized edition on the JVC LCOS.

IMG_2178.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.16 KB
 Viewed:  6486 Time(s)

IMG_2178.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image from only one 9500LC alone was gorgeous.

IMG_2199.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.46 KB
 Viewed:  6479 Time(s)

IMG_2199.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toying around.

IMG_2193.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.47 KB
 Viewed:  6476 Time(s)

IMG_2193.JPG

UncleWill

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo.

IMG_2195.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.42 KB
 Viewed:  6474 Time(s)

IMG_2195.JPG

Seegs108

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank the host (William) for having us over on Saturday. I had a great time, stuffed my faced, and got to check out your awesome home theater. This was my first experience with CRTs. All my previous experience is with digitals. They looked great. Even though we didn't get a chance to take a look at the 3-chip DLP I brought, I believe the JVC DLA-X500 has the better image overall anyways so I think you got the best taste of digital you could have gotten.

Thanks again!!

-Dylan
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a great meet so far. It still is going for me, as I don't leave Little Dogs till tomorrow.

It was great meeting you both Uncle and Dylan.

Thanks for lugging the pjs over to Williams. It was great to see the JVC on this screen. It would have been awesome to have had everything perfectly set up and calibrated. That would have made for a good comparison between the stack and JVC. Maybe next time.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special thanks to Wiliam for hosting the meet.

im still here,the plan is traveling north tuesday.

I got lots of impressions and new experienses, playing and looking at toys i never seen before, and picking up ways to operate a marquee that i dident know was there.

It was a pleasure meeting you all, also special thanks to steve for teaching me how to play pool. Thumbs Up
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great meet. Couldn't ask for a better setting, the food and drink was excellent (Don's BBQ! Hope he won the contest that kept him away from the meet) and great company full of interesting discussions. Lots of fun tinkering, tweaking, repairing and bitching about all the liabilities of CRT and its idiosyncratic tech hacker gurus.

Oh, and the host is a pretty cool guy too. Wink

Observations: Both CRT blend and digital needed work. Both needed optimized gamma and grayscale. Needed a bit more brightness on CRT. CRT detail was excellent, but blend zone was (is) too visible, probably some ramp setting in the blender as Kurt thinks can make that go away in conjunction with well matched grayscale between the sets.

My personal opinion:

The JVC looked a bit artificial to me. Hypersharp, bright, but depth of field was a bit 2D and dynamic range was lacking. It was washed out looking. But of course I know that calibrated it would look much better. But it didn't need 17 different neckboard swaps to get it working correctly. Gosh, what fun is that?

Blendzilla really needed some gamma curve help, mainly. Image was very sharp and smooth with all the usual CRT good qualities of naturalness.

The JVC was driven by an HTPC. The Blend was driven by an OPPO->Blender->Moome. After having Kurt show me what happens to the chroma bandwidth when with different color space upsampling choices on one of the OPPO's HDMI outputs as well as relying on the Lumagen to get 72Hz, I wonder if the Blend was being held back on the color channel from similar possible limitations from its source. Dunno, but the point being is the comparison between the Marquee blend and the JVC was very, very far from an apples to apple one.

It was a real treat to meet Mark Seaton and learn about his design philosophy and to see him tune it in situ. I feel his speakers are hands down the best home theater speakers out there, by a wide margin. He's solved key home theater requirements with exceptional quality results. Well, except for the surrounds. Wink Just kidding, Mark - was just looking forward to seeing that new product of yours.

Kurt, glad I was able to coach you into beating seven sheets to the wind me at pool. Razz

It was absolutely gorgeous weather in an unbeatable setting with a most gracious and accommodating class act of a host. Very, very good time. Too bad we were constantly being terrified by your vicious beast of a dog, Peanut.

Steve

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of more pix that don't look like they were taken from a moving car? Smile
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Any chance of more pix that don't look like they were taken from a moving car? Smile

Might have a few in my camera, im on the road now and will check when i get back home in the end of next week.

Ill go visite Mike Parker tomorow, an Justin on friday.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ro_co wrote:

My personal opinion:

The JVC looked a bit artificial to me. Hypersharp, bright, but depth of field was a bit 2D and dynamic range was lacking. It was washed out looking. But of course I know that calibrated it would look much better. But it didn't need 17 different neckboard swaps to get it working correctly. Gosh, what fun is that?

I don't think you ever read what my first impression was for CRT after a long tme digital but I wrote exactly the same. Depth of field, 3d effect for CRT. This is something we can hardly measure but it is there quite obvious. One other thing I observed about digital is that after a year or so the fun gets less. With CRT now and than I take a break but the fun allways returns even during very long movies that would make me shut of the digital and go to sleep Very Happy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
mr_ro_co wrote:

My personal opinion:

I don't think you ever read what my first impression was for CRT after a long tme digital but I wrote exactly the same. Depth of field, 3d effect for CRT. This is something we can hardly measure but it is there quite obvious. One other thing I observed about digital is that after a year or so the fun gets less. With CRT now and than I take a break but the fun allways returns even during very long movies that would make me shut of the digital and go to sleep Very Happy

I have been saying this for years . I still go to check out the latest Digitals at a local high end dealer. But each time
I leave wondering how will they get the natural depth of field that is inherent with front projection CRT. I always
feel as I am looking at flat card board cut outs staggered at different distances, the objects themselves do not have
any depth with in them selves but there is a depth between them, and that inability to perceive a dimensional depth
of each object is what makes the image look fake or sterile.

Athanasios

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
mr_ro_co

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
redfox001 wrote:
mr_ro_co wrote:

My personal opinion:

I have been saying this for years . I still go to check out the latest Digitals at a local high end dealer. But each time
I leave wondering how will they get the natural depth of field that is inherent with front projection CRT. I always
feel as I am looking at flat card board cut outs staggered at different distances, the objects themselves do not have
any depth with in them selves but there is a depth between them, and that inability to perceive a dimensional depth
of each object is what makes the image look fake or sterile.

Athanasios

Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9
Jump to: