Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco 909 Gamma curve
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Barco 909 Gamma curve Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've a question about my Gamma curve.
I always calibrated my Barco's myself with HFCR and i1 pro. RGB levels are all good for now, but gamma goes down linear from 2.5 to 1.8 on 100IRE
Now I didn't defocus blue yet, tubes P19 LUG simu grade are good as (200hr) new. I can however adjust gamma on the Barco or Crystalio II or moome (IFB-HD v3). I'm not so familiar with adjusting gamma to the right 2.2 point. It always was spot on with my other Barco's as far as I can remember.
How do you guys get the right 2.2 all the way from 10 till 100 IRE? and what should I adjust Barco, Crystalio or moome?
Pics

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think this is messed up somewhere in your digital chain, so you might have level 0-255 or 16-235, set wrong in the moome Crystalio or player.

Try play with those levels, and see to that contrast and brightness settings are neutral in all the digital chain.

I try always to run my digital chain with no manipulation to the signal, and do all the calibration in the CRT.

Might try run 16-235 all the way to the moome card and run that at 0-255, and see what that will do to your gamma curve.

Ohh and dont use the gamma boost in the moome card, set that to 0.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/download.php?id=12085

My 909 calibrated with the auto-cal feature of Calman and Lumagen.

ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never run a auto calibrate on my CRT using heavy digital correction to help correcting what i messed up in the signal path, its hard to get it right without, but its possible, if you can just live with a small blue bump. I think its worth all the time it takes, as i think using the Lumagen CMS on a CRT will give it the image the negatives from doth CRT and Digital. Just my crazy opinion.

If you run 1080P 60hz and not needing the timing adjustments, it will look best not having the Lumagen in the chain at all.( Depending your source) At least for high quality Blu Ray.

I still miss to see a video processor who dont mess up the signal some, even just passing it.
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The measurements were done with an OCT-1000.

So i don't think the pre and post values are wrong.

The picture looked pretty stunning without doing further calibration.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/AVCat/images/documents/pdfs/OTC1000-CMflyer.pdf

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

checked the whole chain, and all was set to 16-235. Tried with moome set to 0-255 then I couldn't see BTB and had to raise brightness to have proper low level ire. It doesn't do anything to gamma unfortunate stayed the same.

Also my ftl is low at 7 ftl on 100ire. I tried to adjust gamma with Crystalio on every step from 10 to 100ire but I don't get it right it still drops from 2.5gamma 10ire to 1.7gamma 100ire

Changing gamma on moome will give better starting point on low ire 2.2 at 10ire but then still drops down in higher levels.

I don't get it right and I don't understand why I have low ftl readings with new tubes, any thoughts are welcome

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your screen? 7ftl doesnt sound too bad if you have a large screen, say over 10ft wide.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DVE HD essentials with windowed ire pictures as described in calibration for dummies Very Happy

Screen is 9.1feet 280cm wide, oh and yesterday I used my eye-one display2 meter it only reads 6-7ftl
I will dig into it some more.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do your gamma curve respond if you adjust your contrast down, and brightness up on the Projector.?
Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7 Ftl Sounds about right to me. A single 9500 had a 5 ftl on a 12 foot screen with a gain of 1.2 here in my house.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ElTopo

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-9 ftl are realistic for your screen width.

Got more or less the same for my 909 with new tubes.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok for 6-7 ftl, I also didn't feel like missing too much light. But the strange behavior of gamma bothers me. Tonight I will change some boards and also try PC input to see if something changes.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay tried original non modified stock Barco boards but still same behavior. Some more testing tommorow....

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a Marquee with fast phosphor on green and the gamma on green was like yours until I raised the scanning frequency to 72 Hz. Perhaps something to try?

I had to run at 120 Hz to get the same output as 60 Hz on a normal tube. In the end I corrected the gamma with a scaler too and that was a fine solution.

gamma.jpg
 Description:
fast green phosphor
 Filesize:  74.61 KB
 Viewed:  6971 Time(s)

gamma.jpg

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a calibration file from a standard Marquee, with no digital correction.
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested gamma curve on my test chassis with stock boards original LUG's and no colored C-elements, result flat 2.2 gamma from 10 to 100IRE.....

So I thought maybe the modified video chain disturbed gamma and changed modified boards for original in my main viewing projector. Unfortunate (but fortunate) same disturbed gamma curve. So it must be somewhere else in the projector. By the way, I kept same source on both projectors. PS3 > moome ext. V3 > port5 Barco.

Which boards are responsible for gamma in the Barco?

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there not something to make the focus sharper on your Eisemann tubes? I am thinking that perhaps you could try the tray with the focus or did Eisemann mod something on the tubes to make them sharper? I am thinking that because my blue was like yours and slicht defocus made it go straigther. I would at least expect your blue to be worse than the other two ??? Hope this helps. Or else the type of phosphor these tubes use?
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another possibility. The emission of the filament? Checking the 6V?

The gamma correction is on the RGB driver but green is not corrected as far as I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: