Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Building a Home Theater & Listening Room
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Building a Home Theater & Listening Room Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

My wife finally parted with a portion of her terrace garden and let me build a home theater.

First off all I find myself very fortunate to build a room that can be dedicated to music listening and watching movies. The room will be 3.96 meters wide, 7.38 meters long and a height of 2.7 meters. So with a little more than 29 m2 it's not a big room at all.

We live in a duplex penthouse (5th & 6th floors with terrace rights). So, traditional construction methods are a bit difficult. I plan to take the prefab route.

Proposed HT Room area.

Columns set and trusses on.

jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool !
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jeffslife,

The progress in construction of prefab wall panels:

Rear wall panels:

Screen wall panels:

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

Since you have a concrete floor, you may want to put down a rubber underlayment.

Have you bought your equipment?
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spanky Ham,

I am planning for a thick wall to wall carpet... How does putting down a rubber underlayment help? I am piling up equipment...its going to be a mix of old and new gear. I am starting with DIY amps, a new Sherbourn PT-7020A , used speakers, existing projector and a big screen. As time goes by, and as my finances improve, I will slowly replace my components. I chose not to design a contemporary style theater. I wanted my home theater to remain true to my great memories of a traditional movie theater.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-articles/flooring-protecting-a-concrete-slab/

I was planning on using rubber, but I may just go with cork because it is cheaper and local.

Not sure what your budget is, but you may want to look at Dolby Atmos for your sound setup. Since you are on this site, I am guessing that you are going with a CRT for the pj.
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at JBL speakers and I have an Epson projector.

These pics are of the composite decking sheet being fixed.... in fact yesterday...the plasterers were skimming the walls and pouring the concrete slab....

I will add more photos as the work progress.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project. It's fun to see how different countries' and regions' residential building practices differ. The prefab panels are more often found in commercial or heavy construction here, and typically larger. That makes me wonder (because I can't tell from the photos)... How tall is the building your place is in, or more to the point, what floor do you live on?

Are you going to leave the trusses exposed? They're kind of neat. It looks like they were recycled. Very cool.

Atmos, Spanky? Seriously? A few months ago, you're basically saying you don't really care about audio, and now you're talking about Atmos? Wink

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ecrabb,

Keen observation and rightly pointed out! The trusses were salvaged from an existing structure, which was in front of my 5th floor duplex penthouse supporting a shade.

I have built a new structure and converted it into a sky deck and usable space. You can see the old structure below the new one.
The old trusses are shifted to 6th floor to support the composite slab of my HT. So load bearing is not an issue.

Old structure removed

Sky deck finished and ready for use.

Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which JBL speakers are you looking at?

ecrabb wrote:

Atmos, Spanky? Seriously? A few months ago, you're basically saying you don't really care about audio, and now you're talking about Atmos? Wink

SC

THANKS TO YOU!! Twisted Evil

Admittedly, I have a price point that I don't think I would go above. With Atmos, I may push that price upwards slightly. Until I read about it coming to the home, I wasn't that interested in audio. Now, I want to hear it for myself at some trade show that is only a couple of weeks away. Wink If it is a game changer, then I will look to incorporate it with the upward firing speakers.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydrovac, I am very impressed! Not only with how awesome your new room is turning out, but the mere speed you are making it happen (I assume from what I have read and seen that you are doing this as you post these pics to the site?)

Either way, I am fascinated and I am quite interested to see how your theater turns out. Keep up the good work Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeremy112,

Started laying electrical, speaker and signal cables. The cabling work is being carried out by a local guy and someone from my work giving him a hand.

To reduce hum and noise I want to install a dedicated line with only a single ground from the audio / home theater system to the electrical service panel. Don’t want to attach anything other than the A/ V system to this special dedicated line.

Expecting the result to be noise and hum free power with a 'deep black background'.

By this stage of the project, I have already identified the following :

• Placement of all speakers
• Placement of A/V components
• Placement of video source
• Lighting needs
• Possible future enhancements
• Thermal Insulation & Acoustic Treatment

BTW I have provided a frame also…for supporting the screen.

I will try and post pics if there's interest...as soon as i work out how to do it....!!

I have all the kit i need already for this…mix of new and from old lounge... not top end by any means...but works for me...

HT room outside from terrace.
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Framing work in progress for rock wool slabs…

Checking out my old screen…

16:9 screen pulled down…
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! Love the way it's coming together.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AnalogRocks,

Framing work completed and AV cabinet in place….cabling almost done but for one sub signal cable. Got 20 Rock wool bags delivered yesterday.

There was a leak from one point of the slab joint side…. getting the pressure grouting done today.

Entry door to the theater on the left:

Bags containing Rock wool slabs:

AV cabinet built into the window:

Ceiling panels getting ready:

Insulation panels being fixed:

Ceiling Panels fixing:

hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paneling of rock wool frames almost done:

Steel trusses being enclosed in wooden beams:

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very Nice!!!

For Clean power look into installing a large enough Isolation Transformer between your main service panel and the theaters sub panel. I bet a 5-8kva transformer should do. It will act as a dedicated power source for your sub panel and Isolate the ground from the rest of the house and power company. Not sure what the laws are in india for that tho.

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion,

Further on construction:

Back row riser in place:

Front row riser:

hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got few sample seats today... my folks liked the red one, the design part of it and not the fabric though. Actually it is wider by 2” and comfortable than the other two.

Decided to order seven seats with individual arm rests… and different cloth material which I have to select.

hydrovac

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. Tough to get things done when you are on carpenter’s schedule, but I'm grinding along. Got most of the ceiling done, preparing bass traps and acoustic panels…

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: