Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

SCORE!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: SCORE! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Because I secured a score with a pickup tomorrow. Found a home theater dealer liquidating a few things. Picking up a 120 inch Dalite aluminum fixed frame cinema-contour screen and a Darbee Darblett 5000 both for 150 bucks. His customer decided on a smaller screen and went for the OPPO blu-ray with darbee already in it. He bought them back for 25 bucks each after a year of use. The screen he said he sold to them was $1000.00.

Check this out. He said just 4 years ago he was literally throwing away Vision 1's in the dumpster. Now he will call me when he has some.

EDIT: changed your tittle. ~AR~
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He threw out Vision 1s? Four years ago he couldve got a few grand each!!

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score!
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"EDIT: changed your tittle. ~AR~"

So we are going the way of AVS?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:
"EDIT: changed your tittle. ~AR~"

So we are going the way of AVS?

No, I changed it to reflect what I thought you wanted the thread to be. Change it back if you like. No harm intended.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought a score thread would be fun.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

Absolutely.

What tittle would you like exactly? I'll change it for you.

We all score great stuff from time to time..

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

Absolutely.

What tittle would you like exactly? I'll change it for you.

We all score great stuff from time to time..

it's not "my thread" just thought one in general would be fun. post the scores and/or past scores....including women..JK Twisted Evil Come up with a name...sticky it!! Perhaps is doesn't belong in just the CRT section either.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SCORE! Reply with quote

digitalayon wrote:

Check this out. He said just 4 years ago he was literally throwing away Vision 1's in the dumpster. Now he will call me when he has some.

%@#$ you have to be kidding me!! He should be beaten for such a despicable action!

Seriously though, throwing away functional equipment is wasteful in the day and age of ebay, audiogon, craigslist, etc. Especially, 4-years ago when digitals weren't quite as good as they are now. Even if tubes were toast (which I have seen many a time on residential PJ's) the VV1 case and boards possess (and certainly did then) tangible value on the secondary market.

I understand that storage space maybe an issue but it still seems like poor business tactics. Most electronics dealers/installers are having a hard enough time keeping their operations afloat (and I say this living in an area that has the median income to support this type of industry) so just throwing stuff in the trash is careless. You'd think that selling a customer a new digital and then re-selling said customer's "outdated CRT" would be a good way to supplement income in an industry with tight margins.

I understand why this happens and expect it when the avg. joe comes across a big CRT hanging in the basement of the house he just bought but it's really sad when this is what "industry professionals" do. On the flip side you have installer's trying to unload Faroudja VP401's for $2K+ on ebay Rolling Eyes

BTW, didn't you buy your VV1 for $50 from some woman who caught her husband screwing his secretary?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha!!! I remember something like that!!

digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: SCORE! Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
digitalayon wrote:

%@#$ you have to be kidding me!! He should be beaten for such a despicable action!

Seriously though, throwing away functional equipment is wasteful in the day and age of ebay, audiogon, craigslist, etc. Especially, 4-years ago when digitals weren't quite as good as they are now. Even if tubes were toast (which I have seen many a time on residential PJ's) the VV1 case and boards possess (and certainly did then) tangible value on the secondary market.

I understand that storage space maybe an issue but it still seems like poor business tactics. Most electronics dealers/installers are having a hard enough time keeping their operations afloat (and I say this living in an area that has the median income to support this type of industry) so just throwing stuff in the trash is careless. You'd think that selling a customer a new digital and then re-selling said customer's "outdated CRT" would be a good way to supplement income in an industry with tight margins.

I understand why this happens and expect it when the avg. joe comes across a big CRT hanging in the basement of the house he just bought but it's really sad when this is what "industry professionals" do. On the flip side you have installer's trying to unload Faroudja VP401's for $2K+ on ebay Rolling Eyes

BTW, didn't you buy your VV1 for $50 from some woman who caught her husband screwing his secretary?

Yeah....and I didn't go looking for PJ either. Was looking at some car parts. Chick was freak'n pissed!!! She like sold his car super cheap as well as gutting his home theater.

Now about this home theater dealer....I got the items earlier tonight. I found out why he was selling them so cheap and why he simply threw away the VV1's. This guy has a crew of 2 guys....they do custom home theaters by the ton up in Park City. Check this out....he did Michael Jordon's Park City home theater. Thing's like repairs are simply not worth his time. I told him about the CRT community. He thinks we are nut jobs.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him we KNOW he is a nut job just on virtue of the fact he threw thousands of dollars in the bin when there are people that wouldve almost sold their arse on a street corner for one of those Vision 1s... Well maybe not quite Laughing

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a projector in Park City. Ridiculous housing prices there, the place smells of money.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I've bought a projector in Park City. Ridiculous housing prices there, the place smells of money.

Curt,

I go up there just for yard sales sometimes. I bought a custom hybrid bicycle that sells in Europe for 1,400 bucks and got it for 80. My wife bought some custom China dish sets for under 200 that went for 5 grand. But it takes me an hour just to get there from my house. So I do not go too often.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I'd love to do a yard sale trip to Seattle, esp in the high end Bellevue area. That guy I got the stuff from yesterday was also well off. Range Rover next to 7 series BMW, next to Porsche 911. The super high end place does his HT. Revel speakers, new Sony 4K projector, etc. Super nice guy too.
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Tell him we KNOW he is a nut job just on virtue of the fact he threw thousands of dollars in the bin when there are people that wouldve almost sold their arse on a street corner for one of those Vision 1s... Well maybe not quite Laughing

I am not so sure....I have done some IT work for Robert Redford up in Sundance. If a PC went out in his office, I would replace it instead of fix it. The same can be said for Michael Jordan. If he is your client, do you replace a faulty projector or fix it. I would just replace it. Guys like Curt would have it apart in the space of an hour and try and fix it. Well maybe Razz But then again you don't mess with these people when you want to keep a reputation.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital is right. Why install a $300 Moome card into an existing projector when you can upsell the customer from an old POS, into a $20K+ new projector?

Let's face it, if everyone put in a Moome card/box, a lot less of us would have 9" CRTs.

I get the mentality, and frankly, my involvement in CRT projectors absolutely relies on projector sales. I'd have been out of it a long time ago if all I was doing was repairs, although that was profitable up until about 5 years ago.

Now, 50% of my business is sound installations. I'd love to still do 100% CRT, but I gots to eat somehow. Ditto for the large AV companies that have 3000+ sq ft buildings and staff to pay.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For companies like that, its justifiable to throw things away that cost money, as digital said, if you have customers like that, why waste time repairing or selling used crap? In the high end market, selling used wouldn't make much money, since in higher class areas, buying something used is practically a sin.

Anytime I get a customer with money, they usually want new, they don't care about the old they have, and they don't want last years best. They want what their money entitles them to: New.

Sad, but true. Either way I don't mind, I usually get the used equipment anyway, at little or no cost to me. The difference is, I save everything until im absolutely sure its worthless. Smile

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I get that. But just becaue Joe Richguy doesn't want his old stuff any more doesn't mean YOU have to throw it away. If he hands you 10 wrinkled-up $100's and says "this money is old and worn out, I don't want it any more," would you throw it away!? So why throw away something with significant value, that you got for free by pulling it out of a customer's old installation, that would only cost you a bit of advertising and shipping? Bad business sense in my opinion...
digitalayon

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:

Let's face it, if everyone put in a Moome card/box, a lot less of us would have 9" CRTs.

Prove it Curt.....have yet to see your theater. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: