Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Only selling to people I know
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Only selling to people I know Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The person who bought the Box 1020 had to have it. I told him I would send it out Sat am 2 day so he could get it quick
I guess he didn't research the device before he bought it. He now claims it works fine, it just doesn't do what he hoped it would. Now he wants to send it back for refund. Rolling Eyes

Card carrying member of the AVS chain gang.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um. No. I hate to say it, tell him to sell it himself, then. I'm tired of people not taking responsibility for their own actions. If I bought something from somebody here on the forum, I can't begin to fathom asking them to take it back because "it doesn't do what I hoped it would." If you want that kind of purchase experience, then do your shopping at Walmart or Target.

Jesus, suck it up and sell it yourself, whoever you are.

Sorry if it's somebody on the forum I know, but Judas Priest. Come on!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just say there's a 50% restocking fee. Very Happy
barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Only selling to people I know Reply with quote

stefuel wrote:
I guess he didn't research the device before he bought it.

Bingo!
This seperates the boys from the men (or the amateurs from the pro's (or the lazy from the dedicated ones))!

If I was getting offered something, I'd better make sure I know what it is and if I really need it. It should be enough for the seller to give information on the manufacturer and the model of a technical device as any additional information should be available on the web. It's even here on the site: http://www.curtpalme.com/Box1020.shtm!
Otherwise You might be debating about existing and non-existing functionalities all day long.

"I want to return it. It doesn't...

... make coffee
... make me win the lottery
... bring peace to the earth
... make my car bigger than my neighbour's
... replace my wife with <enter preferred celebrity name>"
etc...

Regards,
barclay66
View user's photo album (25 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barclay, youd be better off replacing your wife with a car that is bigger than your neighbour's, then when you win lottery, you can buy a nice home where it's peaceful Wink

And be f***ed if id be refunding that, it sure as sh** aint your fault, so why should you wear it Stefuel?

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the fact that there is paypal fees and shipping expenses to deal with. Then you have the time packing and the time to test it when it comes back. I will not do anything until I'm sure he didn't blow it up first. What do you do if it comes back D.O.A.?

barclay66

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500 Ultra

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Barclay, youd be better off replacing your wife with a car that is bigger than your neighbour's, then when you win lottery, you can buy a nice home where it's peaceful

These are fine already. I only could need some more coffee... Wink
View user's photo album (25 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Only selling to people I know Reply with quote

stefuel wrote:
He now claims it works fine, it just doesn't do what he hoped it would. Now he wants to send it back for refund. Rolling Eyes

"Doesn't do what he hoped it would" is no different than "I no longer need it" or any other excuse.

As others have mentioned, you're not a retail store. When someone buys something used off someone it goes without saying that the seller does not have a return policy, unless the seller specifically states they do.

Put this way: Had they asked to try it out to see if it did what they were hoping it would, you most likely never would have taken the time to package it up and mail it quickly. I certainly would not have. I would have pointed them to the specifications page here and asked "what exactly do you need it to do?" to clarify for them if it would work for them (though it's not the sellers responsibility at all to do this).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefuel wrote:
Not to mention the fact that there is paypal fees and shipping expenses to deal with. Then you have the time packing and the time to test it when it comes back. I will not do anything until I'm sure he didn't blow it up first. What do you do if it comes back D.O.A.?

First and foremost, you don't take it back! It's not your responsibility to take it back unless it's not as described or was defective or otherwise non-functional for its intended purpose. Feel free to point the buyer to this thread as further explanation.

If for some inexplicable reason you feel obligated to accommodate this childish person's requests, then whatever you do, don't refund the money until you receive the item back and verify that it's in the same working and cosmetic condition it was when it left your possession.

Then, for God's sake, don't refund the shipping. At the VERY LEAST, you shouldn't be out ANY money whatsoever. Not a cent. You shouldn't have to worry about PayPal fees; they should be refunded to you when you refund the money, so the only thing will be shipping. Refund the total less shipping. The buyer should damn well expect to at least pay for shipping both ways. OTOH, if this person thinks he should be able to just ship stuff back because he decided it wasn't right for him, then I'm pretty sure he'll also be confounded that anybody would ask him to pay for shipping.

Wow, this is a real head-shaker.

This isn't a regular poster on this forum, is it?

SC
stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This isn't a regular poster on this forum, is it?"

Nope. Only has 5-6 posts in the buy and sell forum.

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, he has seven posts. Five of them are "bogus posts" so he could gain access to PM. Rolling Eyes

stefuel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is his excuse. Like I'm supposed to know what he plans to use it for.

Hi,

"Hooked up the Box1020 and it works well connected directly to my monitor via component and pass through VGA. Unfortunately, I was looking for something for transcode the XRGB-3 to component because the scaler I use in conjunction with the XRGB, the Optoma HD3000, won't correctly interpolate the SMTPE resolution of 480p (720x480) and instead sees it as 640x480 (which causes incorrect scaling), and while I was able to get this working, the end result is a step down from the current transcoding solution I've been using. This is no fault of the device which, from what I can see, works flawlessly for normal use. The XRGB-3 is a notoriously finicky device with numerous quirks."

CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i dont care who it is!! They have no business asking you to take it back and refund them. Its seems very unanimous here!!

At the end of the day, he took a punt on this and it didnt work as he hoped. Tough luck that. Ive done it many times myself, and im sure others here have too, but you do that KNOWING it may not work and youre out the costs either way.

It is very clear from his message that he knew he was taking a punt.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. It's a risk you take buying used gear. If you want a no-questions-asked return policy, then buy new and pay full price. Even then, you usually pay return shipping! But, in the case of the used gear, you buy it, and if it doesn't work out as you'd hoped, then you suck it up and resell it.

SC
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying used is always a crapshoot, you take your chances. If it don't work out you either deal with it or sell it and try to break even. You cant expect the seller to take the risk for you.
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. I'll keep the damn thing. Smile
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macgyver655 wrote:
Fine. I'll keep the damn thing. Smile

Hahaha!!! Laughing Aint no way im believing it was you Wink

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a person who runs his own pc shop I say do NOT take it back

I had someone do this to me with a pc bulid(boy did that end ugly)

I tried to make the person happy but NO! They wasn't buying it

Basicly they gave me the wrong specs that they wanted the computer to be and I ended up eating the cost of the bulid(luckily it was a cheapie)

Yes I sold the machine but I have started a no returns policy unless its doa of he then that its repairs only

If I sell a used machine its given a full check over before I even sell it(same goes for stuff like this)

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on this. I have bought a **FEW** things over the years that didn't work well. There's a stack over there in the corner of that stuff.

I do my due diligence and research the crap outta things before I buy, but, as the buyer of this piece discovered, sometimes the dohicky just doesn't do what you need it to. If I had bought it, it would be sitting in the corner, waiting for the next project OR re-listed in the buy and sell forum.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A r you and i both do the same if it don't work like I was expecting I resell it to recover the loss

I haven't done it much but I have a set of jbl speakers I am itching to sell

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: