Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Time to upgrade my screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Time to upgrade my screen Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
At the beginning I brought home paint chips and compared them to the drywall sealer. Holding the chip for matte white against the screen I couldn't see the edge so I left it alone. I does seem likely that there is room for improvement so suggestions/ thoughts would be nice.
Focussing the 9500 I tried to use the phosphor grain method but I just couldn't see it; maybe I can blame my screen for this. Anyway the good pj is the 9500. I also have a Sony 1252 in a box and a Sony VPL 80 for backup. The room is black so gain shouldn't be a huge priority. Paint on is interesting but I could attach screen material to the wall if that's the way to go.

No point being pessimistic; it probably would't work anyway.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get a Wilsonart sample?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know anyone around TO that would hand out samples?

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the company. They can send you a big sample, or try Rona for a little square. Some one here bought from a little cabinet company in T.O. and got a good price. Rona wanted over $400! Or buy stateside.

EDIT: found the post, old info but they may still be able to help:

haggardguy wrote:
If you are looking for Wilsonart in the Toronto area I just got mine from a countertop manufacturer in Markham. There is a kitchen supplier in my area listed on the Wilsonart site, when I called them he suggested I call the company that makes thier counters. I had priced it through Rona at $104/4x8 or $195/5x12 (encountered blank stare when I asked what thickness they were quoting). They were not particularly helpful or knowledgable and didn't know how long it would take to came. When I called Janovski Counters (905 475-0185) the lady that answered the phone immediatly knew what I was talking about and seemed to qoute me a price for a 5x12 sheet of postform grade off the top of her head. it took about another 30 seconds to come back with a price for a 5x12 general purpose grade (thicker).
$100 5x12 postform grade
$161 5x12 general purpose
She appologized for the price of the general purpose and explained that they don't get a discount on it. She told me it would be in the next day if it was in stock and that they would make 1 cut for free.
Gave them my Visa number and less than 24 hours later they called to tell me in was ready for pick-up.
The kitchen place also gave me the name of a company in Peterborough; Postform Products (705 742-4545), but I didn't call them.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So This material is meant as a countertop and we are repurposing to make a video screen?????

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

416ray4538 wrote:
So This material is meant as a countertop and we are repurposing to make a video screen?????

Correct. It's actually been legitimately tested at just over 1.3 gain. It does have a little 'grain' to it, so you miss out on a little fine detail, but that works great for CRT. I've been using it for several years, first with CRT, then with digital.

The only problem with it is that because it's countertop - not screen - the surface does tend to vary. It's probably that it's made in different factories, and it different times, etc. and of course isn't a screen material. I've heard of some people having trouble with hot-spotting, while others (like me) have had no such problem. So, it's gotta be variation in the material.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FM
Thanks
I'll check out the Toronto box stores; a part number would be useful cause sometimes when you ask in these stores , there's a little gap of understanding.
Thanks again

416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Janovski.
They want a part number.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121397#121397

ecrabb wrote:
Yeah, you want the D354, which is "Designer White", and you want it in the "60" matte finish, hence the D354-60 that Clarence posted. You want the "standard grade" which is the thickest grade... as AR mentioned. There's also a "vertical" grade which is much thinner.

Wilsonart D354-60

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
416ray4538

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121397#121397

ecrabb wrote:
Yeah, you want the D354, which is "Designer White", and you want it in the "60" matte finish, hence the D354-60 that Clarence posted. You want the "standard grade" which is the thickest grade... as AR mentioned. There's also a "vertical" grade which is much thinner.

Wilsonart D354-60

SC
Thanks again
Just for the fun of being positive:
Is it more likely that I'd see "glass beads" using the phosphor grain focus method with the wilsonart laminate over high hide drywall sealer?
I found a place in Mississaugua that stocks Wilsonart product. Makes sense to visually inspect before taking to the counter. Kinda like buying 2 x 4 s

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Screens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: