Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

No forum notification mail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It works, YAY

After I posted it is now working, just for this thread, no others yet.

looks like I will test an other thread to test.

Me too!!!!

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
HK-Steve

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we need to re-subscribe to each thread...

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cleaned out the entire watch list.
Let's see what happens now.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HK-Steve wrote:
I just cleaned out the entire watch list.
Let's see what happens now.

I didn't get a new notification for your last post here Sad

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got a notification from the mystery TT thread Kal you were testing

One Smart Dog!!!

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Nothing for me either.

iCloud, .mac, and .me accounts

You're using your @mac.com account here.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HK-Steve wrote:
Looks like we need to re-subscribe to each thread...

You should not have to do this.

Kal

Nashou66

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Nashou66 wrote:
Nothing for me either.

iCloud, .mac, and .me accounts

You're using your @mac.com account here.

Kal

yes

One Smart Dog!!!

thewolfman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I get notifications from the buy and sell section again. I have Hotmail.se and have done no changes whatsoever and the only subscription that I have.
km987654

TV/Projector: Barco BG809s

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well something has changed as I am now again receiving forum emails for those threads I am following. This has not operated for some time but they just started again today.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

km987654 wrote:
Well something has changed as I am now again receiving forum emails for those threads I am following. This has not operated for some time but they just started again today.

I made the changes outlined earlier today in this thread here: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=422489#422489

Glad to hear it's working for you again!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I've made some changes to have all forum emails go through a third party pay service. Let me know how you guys make out and if you start getting email notifications. Thanks!

If you're still not getting emails please check what email you have entered in your profile here:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile

I'm tracking the bounce notifications and a few of you regulars have invalid email addresses in there (DraganM, NettwerkJohn, etc). I've fixed the ones I can, and others I will blank out to avoid causing bounces as that affects our reputation - too many issues and once again other sites will stop accepting email from us. So I want to avoid bounces as much as possible, and I especially want to avoid someone marking forum notifications as SPAM. Get that too many times and we'll get blocked again.

So if you go into your account settings and see that your email is blank, it's because I removed it because it's bouncing/invalid.

Kal

So fast forward to today and and we've now been sending out forum emails using an external pay service (SendGrid.com) for 23 days and it seems to be working well. Our reputation is at 99.8% which is very high. This means that most emails are making it (not bouncing, not being marked as spam or being blocked by recipient inbox rules, and so forth). At first I spent some time every day looking at bounces and removing old email addresses from user accounts here to make sure that this value stays high. I'll continue to do so as time goes on to ensure it stays high.

The only caveat I'm seeing is that we're sending from an IP at this Sendgrid.com service that is used by thousands of others pay members, and from time to time that IP gets blacklisted because someone, somewhere starts spamming. At that point I see our emails start to get blocked with the following message (for example):

Code:
550 "JunkMail rejected - o2.shared.sendgrid.net [74.63.235.152]:60372 is in an RBL, see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?74.63.235.152"

This will always happen because with thousands sending emails from the same IP, once and a while someone will send something that appears spammy by accident (or be an outright spammer) and trigger a blacklist (spamcop.net in this example), blocking all the other customers sending from this IP to ISPs that also use this blacklist to filter out spam.

It usually takes SendGrid.com 24 hours to get that cleared up (SendGrid removes/cancels the offending account and contacts the blacklist), during which time some forum members here won't get forum emails. Some (most?) of you will still get emails during this blacklist period. It depends on your ISP and what blacklists they follow. So far in the last 23 days I've seen our IP blacklisted twice, which is a lot I find. The good news is that SendGrid does all the work here in getting their IP removed from the blacklist. It's no longer something I have to worry about.

There is a way around this blacklisting, but it means upgrading from the existing plan with a shared IP to a higher priced plan to get our own dedicated IP. Not that I don't love you guys, but I don't think it's worth it. Wink On the current plan it costs me about $1.30/month for our current volume of emails ($0.10 per 1000 emails). Plans with dedicated IPs start at $79.95/month and go up from there. Over 60x more expensive.

So from time to time expect some forum notification email outages that may last a day or so. You won't get a flurry of emails after the outage - the emails are simply blocked and lost.

I'm told that over time SendGrid may move us to a more reputable IP if our reputation stays high, but our send rates are so low this likely won't happen quickly. You need to show both quality of emails and send volume too. It'll probably take months.

Email is an astounding pain in the arse and I've definitely learnt more about sending best practices than I care to know about over the last few years. For anyone interested in learning, I recommend this white paper by Amazon:

https://media.amazonwebservices.com/AWS_Amazon_SES_Best_Practices.pdf

(Amazon has their 'Simple Email Service' which is similar to SendGrid. I use Amazon SES to send newsletters and my own personal emails as I like to keep this separate from the forum email which I can't really control. This ensures that I don't have all our eggs in one basket).

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, meant to post a couple of days ago.. I'm getting notifications as well. Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fast forward for those who enjoy a good yarn: After lots of careful watching and editing to make sure we hold our email sending reputation above 99.9%, I sent off more requests to have us upgraded and we've now been bumped up a notch such that we should see less issues with the forum sending emails. They've placed us in a 'premiere' group of senders, so the odds of getting blacklisted again should be greatly reduced. For the last 6 weeks it's been happening at least once a week for many hours (blocking all outgoing forum emails). Hopefully that's a thing of the past. Our max emails/day has also been increased from 1000 to 7000.

In case anyone didn't know, I will once again state: I hate email!

Kal

gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to throw a wrench into the mix again, but I haven't received any forum notifications since Monday. In fact, your post right above mine is the last one that I received, maybe something changed after upgrading to the 'premiere' group?

I just noticed today when I saw that the Buy & Sell section was much more active than usual this week, but I received no notifications.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. Anyone else? All I can think of is that whatever ISP you're using has blacklisted the IP that sendgrid.com is using to send out emails. My logs over there show only one address that is returning our emails because they're blocking us (it's not a gmail address like yours).

I would go into your gmail settings and make sure to whitelist all @curtpalme.com mail. You may have inadvertently clicked the "this is junk" button instead of "delete". I've done that before...

This is another reason why I hate email. It's completely unreliable.

Kal

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two notifications 12/9, then another yesterday - all at my Apple mac.com domain.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
gnnash

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Strange. Anyone else? All I can think of is that whatever ISP you're using has blacklisted the IP that sendgrid.com is using to send out emails. My logs over there show only one address that is returning our emails because they're blocking us (it's not a gmail address like yours).

I would go into your gmail settings and make sure to whitelist all @curtpalme.com mail. You may have inadvertently clicked the "this is junk" button instead of "delete". I've done that before...

This is another reason why I hate email. It's completely unreliable.

Kal

Oddly enough, I then got a notification for this one. And another one yesterday.

But then I missed a couple of notifications from the Buy & Sell section again...

So I checked. Somehow I had gotten myself unsubscribed to the Buy & Sell forum. Not sure when or how, maybe I accidentally hit one of the unsubscribe links in a notification email? Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: