Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

No forum notification mail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: No forum notification mail? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Since 25 june I don't get any notification e-mails where I contributed on the forum, when there is a new post. Is there anything on the user side that can influence this? (I haven't changed anything in my forum profile, I also checked my spam box but it seems I really didn't get any e-mails lately)

View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your email provider is most likely blocking the emails. Whitelist emails sent from forum-support@curtpalme.com.

EDIT: You're using gmail - they don't seem to like @curtpalme.com lately it seems. There's probably some place in gmail you can whitelist all @curtpalme.com. You can also contact them for support.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem the last few days, and im using Hotmail.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact your service providers and complain. Not much we can from our end as emails are indeed going out.

We've had issues in the past where our IP/domain sometimes get marked as a 'spammer' because a few people complain, so it's pretty much a lost battle.

Kal

Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I've had this for the last 2 weeks as well, and I'm on Shaw.ca.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See: http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3acurtpalme.com&run=toolpage

Barracuda's had us blacklisted for well over a year. It's a complete scam - they basically hold you hostage and want $20/year to be whitelisted. ISPs should not be using them to figure out if email is spam or not.

An example complaint: http://scott.yang.id.au/2012/12/emailreg-org-barracudacentrals-protection-racket.html

It's only $20 / year per domain but I have big issue paying someone even 2 cents for extortion type practices.

Kal

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got one forum newsletter from you Kal a few days ago, but still no forum notification...
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
So I got one forum newsletter from you Kal a few days ago, but still no forum notification...

Same here. Confused
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved the newsletters to a different service, but the forum emails are still sent through our dedicated server.

Kal

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to contact hotmail, and complain about the missing mails.?
HK-Steve

TV/Projector: Marquee 9500, Epson 8100

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the 25/06 was my last notification.

Messaged my provider, they said they have not got any from that address since 25th

weird.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HK-Steve wrote:
Messaged my provider, they said they have not got any from that address since 25th

Email's going out - their spam software's simply blocking it.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Is there a way to contact hotmail, and complain about the missing mails.?

Probably. Not sure it will make any difference.

I've been trying to think outside the box as to why ISPs would be blocking our mail. Our server IP is blacklisted at Barracuda: http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a206.225.20.162&run=toolpage

But isn't listed anywhere else, and we've been on that list for a year or two. Probably not the reason. Emails to them go unanswered. They want you to whitelist with a third party pay service that (funny enough) they also own. Sounds like extortion to me (and to others if you Google the subject).

I think one of the reasons may be how we use email forwarders. We use lots (one for each seller). So when an email comes in to (say) chromapure@curtpalme.com, it gets forwarded to both myself and to the ChromaPure team. This way we both see questions and orders when we come in.

The problem is that over the last year the amount of SPAM we've been getting at the @curtpalme.com addresses has grown about 4-5 times. It's now about 500-700 messages/day.

I think part of the problem is that all these messages also get forwarded to the various sellers who have their own company emails serviced elsewhere, so to those ISPs it looks like curtpalme.com is spamming when in fact all we're doing is simply forwarding. I don't think their SPAM filters differentiate. An ISP doesn't care where the original source is, they simply want to block all SPAM since their customers complain about it.

I think what I need to do is either (a) move these emails to another service where some level of spam filtering is offered so that the spam isn't all forwarded as it is today (I have no way to filter today), or (b) find a different way for sellers to sell on CurtPalme.com and stop using email forwarders entirely.

I'm moving cautiously/slowly as I don't want to "pollute the well" at the new place where email is going to flow through...

First step in the last week was to move how newsletters are sent: I changed from sending from the server's built in SMTP server to the Amazon SES service (a mail sending service where you pay about 10 cents per 1000 emails). Part of the trick is to very carefully monitor any bounces or complaints that come in and treat them correctly. Get too many complaints from people receiving your emails and the ISP will automatically block you. Amazon's white paper on "Email best practices" (see here) has some good information, for example - keeping complaints at or below 0.1%.

So I need to move slowly and monitor things very carefully as the last thing I want is to have the same thing happen all over again because of something I overlooked.

Email is a royal pain in the arse.

Kal

Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible your provider is using the same IP address for other websites? I know my hosting provider shares my websites IP with about 30 other websites, so that might be a possibility? One of those sites could be causing all the problems?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

I'm on a dedicated server, IP 206.225.20.162. I have multiple (dedicated to me) IPs availble. CurtPalme.com runs off of 206.225.20.165, but all mail goes out from the base server IP (206.225.20.162) and resolves as lded1.atcihosting.com

Even though the traffic volume/processing power required doesn't really warrant a dedicated box, I went off co-located hosting years ago for the exact reason you state: Someone else on the box had their FTP password compromised due to low security and some spammer got a trojan on the box that started sending out millions of spam emails. The IP was immediately blacklisted by everyone and affected all customers on the box (including me).

Kal

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to hotmail support, and they claim that there is no filter of any kind on my inbox, other then what i block or mark myself.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ISPs have spam filters to avoid the amount of spam that you'd otherwise get.

Kal

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
All ISPs have spam filters to avoid the amount of spam that you'd otherwise get.

Kal

I belive you. But what to do.?

I ask him to send a email confirming that with his contact info, he would do so.. But did not get anything yet. Rolling Eyes
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really nothing you can do.

In the eyes of ISPs, we are doing something incorrect - possibly with the large number of automatically forwarded SPAM emails that I mentioned above, so many are blocking our mail.

I've disabled all of the email forwards on my server and will do doing it manually for the next little while to see if that helps.

Kal

gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the newsletter from you Kal again, to me this means my e-mail not completely ignores ...-at- curtpalme.com senders. Isn't it possible to replace the 'old' forum-support sender with a new, clean address so the notifications would go out from this new address now on, that might not be blocked (yet).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: