Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

NEC 9 PG Xtra doubt on the purchase.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: NEC 9 PG Xtra doubt on the purchase. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi! I'm new to this forum so i introduce myself, i'm Andrea [in italy is a boy name] i'm 20 and i'm from Italy. I explain the situation: i have bought like 1 years ago a CRT Projector, a IPR ItalProjector, it's basically a enty level projector from the 80's , it has got only a composite video input and a RGB Input for a Scart cable, so it runs only at 576i. I surfed the internet looking for another CRT Projector that can handle easily 1080p or 1080i and i found this NEC 9 PG Xtra at the moderate price of 590 € without the shipping charges (it's like 800$). So it's a good price? and then, the owner of the projector lives 250 miles from where i live and i haven't done a trip that long before so i guess i need to ship this projector, and i just haved a bad experience with shipping (the IPR Projector was shipped to me with two cracks on the main board due to the courier, so i repaired it connecting all the broken tracks of the circuit and at the end it worked). Anyone of you have ever shipped a projector? What should i do? Thank you and have a good day.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely drive to go get it. $800 to ship 250 miles is insane,but I know everything is more expensive in Europe. Shipping from me in Vancouver to an Italian airport is only $600 though!

To me $590 is too much for a PG Xtra, unless the tubes are perfect. Heck, for $1400 I could probably get you into a very light wear NEC XG, which is a bit better than the Xtra, and about 5 years newer.. if you want to spend that much.

Curt
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
I would definitely drive to go get it. $800 to ship 250 miles is insane,but I know everything is more expensive in Europe. Shipping from me in Vancouver to an Italian airport is only $600 though!

To me $590 is too much for a PG Xtra, unless the tubes are perfect. Heck, for $1400 I could probably get you into a very light wear NEC XG, which is a bit better than the Xtra, and about 5 years newer.. if you want to spend that much.

Curt

Thank you for the reply, it's a pleasure talking to you, i follow the site of yours and it's really good done and very usefull. For my luck it doesnt' cost 800$ the shipping, i wrote it wrong, 800$ for the projector, and in euros is 590, i still don't know the shipping changes, i'm asking them to the owner via e-mail. Anyway I definitely want to low a bit the price, or at least i would buy it for 590 without the shipping charges. Thank you for the offer, but my salary it's quite low, like 550 bucks a month, i know that it will probably safer t buy it from you but for the moment it's quite high for my pockets. When i will have a more monetary resources i will definetely give it a thought Wink
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some tube face shots of the XTRA and we can advise you better, they tend to be quite reliable really, so it depends alot of tubes.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
kabuby77

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some repetition in Italian for the newbie Wink
Ciao Andrea come ti hanno già dettto, il valore dei proiettori CRT in pratica è dato dallo stato dei tubi. Tre tubi nuovi ti costano più del proiettore quindi devi assolutamente valutare di persona prima di fare un acquisto. Tieni in considerazione che spesso le foto con flash ingannano e fanno sembrare quasi nuovo un tubo con tante ore alle spalle.

There are marquee 8500 for sale in Italy, maybe they are a better choice.
Be careful because the CRT is now a passion, it is not intended as a way to save money.
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuby77 wrote:
There are marquee 8500 for sale in Italy, maybe they are a better choice.
Be careful because the CRT is now a passion, it is not intended as a way to save money.

Dove posso comprare un Marquee 8500 in Italia? Perche' io ho gia' messo il feed su Ebay da tipo un anno e gli unici proiettori a tubo catodico sono uno un po' vecchiotto e un Sony D50 a 3990€ e su Subito non ho trovato niente. Comunque sono un neo-appasionato di cinema e penso anche di avere una passione per i tritubi, mi piacerebbe molto avere un piccolo home theater in alta definizione magari con un dolby 5.1. A me per il momento basta questo ed e' da un po' che cerco una buona occasione per comprare un proiettore Tritubo dato che sono nettamente superiori ai DLP e agli LCD per contrasto e qualita' dell'immagine. Non voglio prendere il proiettore migliore al mondo, il NEC PG Xtra mi basta e avanza, tiene 1080p e anche per giocare e' perfetto. Poi se costa poco ben venga dato che lavorando da poco non ho a disposizione molti soldi. Comunque ho capito che la spedizione non posso farla dato che dovrei controllare da me la condizione dei tubi. Il venditore sostiene di avere poche ore sui tubi, quindi dovrebbero essere abbastanza nuovi. C'e' un modo per sapere se i tubi sono abbastanza nuovi senza smontare niente, tipo un contatore?

Ok, thank you, i guess i need to go where the seller live to see the real condition of the tubes. There isn't a way to know the hours of operation of the projector, like a counter?
kabuby77

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the market in the italian forum you wrote about the old projector. Do not trust anyone (except Curt), the wear of the tube depends on how you set the brightness/contrast.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wear has abit to do with brightness and contrast, but there is a hell of alot more to it than that.

The PG XTRA will be every bit as good as an 8500, the only real advantage i see there is its easy enough to upgrade it to a 9", but still not overly cheap to do so. The 9PG XTRA isnt that far behind an XG, they all have electronic astig, and NECs have the best convergence system bar none.

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! It's me again, thank you for the answers! I've got some updates: I've contacted the owner of the projector and he have said that he will come to my home to try the projector, see how to adjust the convergence, see if the remote works properly ecc. so it seems that the transation it's going fine. But I've got some other doubts; i've read on a forum (it's called AV Forum) that NEC Projectors have got some "problems" like that they are very difficult to calibrate proprerly and that the resolution declared it's not the actual resolution, that the projector cant' reach 1600x1200. So it is true? From what i read on the site, i guess not, because the projector has got a bandwith of 92 KHz and, if i remember it right, 1080p need only 60 KHz to be displayed. For the calibration i don't know, i still haven't read the manual of the projector. Thank you and have a good day.
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9PG Xtra will probably throw a 1080p image out its tubes, but it most likely wont resolve all the lines of resolution (i.e. you wont see all the detail 1080p has to offer). Its not designed to be a full HD projector. Ideally it is for 720p 1080i viewing. The most I ever ran my former 9PG Xtra at was 1680x1050 (16:10 AR), but found out later than 1366x768 (16:9 AR) was a better choice (It resolved just fine, and it was a normal HD aspect ratio)

It still looked spectacular compared to a few other CRTs I had, but again, 1080p is not what its made for. You will actually get a more superior image using a lower resolution.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true, that NECs have a more complex geometry and convergence system than other makes but this only means you can dial in perfectly. Sure it looks difficult for a first time owner, but it's not rocket science. If you setup a NEC a few times and figure out what are the adjustments for you will be able to set it up with eyes closed. Very Happy But every projector has a learning curve...

It is also true for every CRT projector that the given resolution (usualy appearing in the brochure) does not mean the actual resolving power of the particular model. On a CRT projector the addressability depends of the max H. and V. scanrate, but for a good looking picture you'll need sharp focus, and some bandwidth too. Besides, the 9PG xtra is damn close to resolve what is stated about it. A 9PG xtra will not fully resolve 1080P of course, but will give a nice enough picture. With interlaced resolutions, like 1080i 96Hz or 72Hz the results are even better. With a careful setup in 720P the scanlines are visible!

View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jeremy112

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjaky wrote:
With a careful setup in 720P the scanlines are visible!

Yes, those beautiful scanlines, I miss the 9PG Xtra just because of how "new" it felt, and it worked perfect right off the bat, no fighting with it at all. My friend is now the proud owner of it, and he loves it. In fact, it is the only thing he kept in his garage after completely clearing out everything in it he had.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done 1600x1200p at 60Hz with my 9PG plain and it was as sharp or sharper than 1920x1080i.

The NECs are not difficult at all to set up, it just takes time to learn what every setting does, and there are lots of them. Knowing which ones to adjust comes easily with some experience, and there is no question it can be perfect right to the corners even on an uneven surface.

Perfect convergence results in a sharper image. Getting the blue defocus set correctly is easiest on an NEC, because the PGs have a switch for it and the XGs have a setting in the menu for it.

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so i guess that what i read on that forum was just trash. Thank you Case, Jeremy and gjaki for the answers, now i've got a more clear idea of what i'm about to buy, it seems a very good product. To be honest there is a thing that i haven't still get right: from what gjaki have said, how can scanlines be displayed if i use a progressive scan like 720p? With 720p should i see scanlines?
gjaky

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Frankie] wrote:
To be honest there is a thing that i haven't still get right: from what gjaki have said, how can scanlines be displayed if i use a progressive scan like 720p? With 720p should i see scanlines?

A CRT projector "draws" the picture with lines, these are called scanlines, regardless of the scanning type (interlaced or progressive).
How thin a scanline can be only depending of the beam focus and astigmatism across the whole raster. While the visibility of the scanlines are depending on lens resolution and the actual raster size.
Generally it is said the resolving power of a CRT projector is the best where the scanlines are just touching themselves. If the scanlines are overlapping too much you loose definition, if the scanlines are too far apart it means you are far from the maximal resolution of your system.
On a NEC PG xtra it is not obvious to see scanlines in 720P, it is only achiveable with a very careful setup.

View user's photo album (1 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i ran 1600x1200, i couldnt see scanlines from 4 meters away on the 125" screen, but up close they were just visible in the middle, and Windows text was sharp and clear everywhere on the screen.

Having said that, i was driving my 9PG Plain beyond recomended raster size with near full raster usage, and although it lasted five years that way, it quite likely led to the convergence board failure i suffered. I have two working spares anyway, and the set is a surplus now. I will eventually transplant this set into a rear projection TV, which should produce one hell of an image using Panasonic LC housings, and being true multi-sync itll be as good as rear pro TV for retro gaming can be.

Even now, a PG is a great set when working properly, the XTRA being a considerable step up from my plain. HD145 lenses factory standard, 9 zone astig, and a convergence system second to none really lift the NECs into a class of their own. NEC made what i believe to be sets with little or no compromise, there is almost nothing you could change to make them better for their day, and for 1992, the PG blew everything else in its class away with ease.

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a new update: I've found a Barco 808 at a very low price (100€) near my city but i still don't know if it's a graphics or a data. What do you think, should i buy it? The resolution is the same of the NEC 9 PG Xtra, the only problem is that the owner of the projector doesn't know if it works and he hasn't got the remote. Later i'll send him an e-mail to ensure if it's a graphics or a data and if he can send me some photos of the tubes.
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Frankie] wrote:
I've got a new update: I've found a Barco 808 at a very low price (100€) near my city but i still don't know if it's a graphics or a data. What do you think, should i buy it? The resolution is the same of the NEC 9 PG Xtra, the only problem is that the owner of the projector doesn't know if it works and he hasn't got the remote. Later i'll send him an e-mail to ensure if it's a graphics or a data and if he can send me some photos of the tubes.

you better make sure it powers up as the high voltage parts are not that easy to find. The built in remote on the back of the case should power the machine up and even allow a rough set-up
View user's photo album (2 photos)
[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, he sent me the photos of the tubes, to me they look new and also he said that it's a Cine 8, so if it works i buy it for sure. He lives 10 Km from my house, i try the projector at his house with a PC connected to it. Is really a problem if he doesnt' have the remote? Is it possible to calibrate the tubes with the controls built-in on the Barco? If not, is it hard to find a remote? Can't i use the RS232 port to calibrate the projector with a software on the PC? Thank you and have a good day!

DSCN2084.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.97 KB
 Viewed:  6016 Time(s)

DSCN2084.jpg

DSCN2083.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.07 KB

DSCN2083.jpg

DSCN2082.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.25 KB

DSCN2082.jpg

DSCN2081.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.82 KB

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2080.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.84 KB

DSCN2080.jpg

DSCN1861.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.71 KB

DSCN1861.jpg

[Frankie]

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the large images, if they're too large i can resize them Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: