Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

G70 just wow & Sony 1252QM free to good home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanius

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: G70 just wow & Sony 1252QM free to good home Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So after waiting several years for one to come up in the second hand market(almost never in Australia) I've just acquired 3 G70s in reasonable condition one of which has only 200 hours!.

As someone else on here said on first seeing a G70 "hoo lee Sh*t". The absolutely annihilates the 12xx's I've been using up until now. I've been working my way through the extra focus controls and the results are decent. Next challenge is to sort out the grayscale. I just didn't think it possible for a 16 year old projector to look this good - CRT forever !!!

If there's anyone in Melbourne who wants my old Sony 1252QM with a bunch of spares let me know and it's your for nothing.!

Cheers
jeffslife

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENJOY ! I know I loved my g70. You will too.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice grab... 200 hours! I sold a 141 hour one back in 2001 for... $6300 to Japan! Smile

Good for another 10+ years I'd say.
Cheers!
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now youve just got to find someone with an LC XG that will swap you that for your three G70s, then youll be into some serious equipment... Laughing

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you havent looked allready, you should take a look here:

http://www.projectorscreens.com.au/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=4

And consider buying one of those screens for your projectors.

draganm

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: G70 just wow & Sony 1252QM free to good home Reply with quote

jordanius wrote:
If there's anyone in Melbourne who wants my old Sony 1252QM with a bunch of spares let me know and it's your for nothing.!

Cheers
I sent a PM to this guy and pointed him to this thread
looks like a perfect fit
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/16-crt-projectors/1527420-finding-crt-projector-australia.html
View user's photo album (2 photos)
jordanius

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case re: screens I'll probably end up painting on a 16:9 screen to the wall as it's the only way I can accommodate the dimensions of the room and the door in the way. Does anyone have experience with high gain paints.. ?

The memory set-up is quite different to the 12xx's but I'm slowly getting to know my way around.

The next purchase has to be a new video processor - I've got and old DVDO iscan HD but it's stuck in DVI land and the interface is awful. Any thoughts on the best bang for buck ?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanius wrote:
Case re: screens I'll probably end up painting on a 16:9 screen to the wall as it's the only way I can accommodate the dimensions of the room and the door in the way. Does anyone have experience with high gain paints.. ?

The memory set-up is quite different to the 12xx's but I'm slowly getting to know my way around.

The next purchase has to be a new video processor - I've got and old DVDO iscan HD but it's stuck in DVI land and the interface is awful. Any thoughts on the best bang for buck ?

What are your sources?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not quite sure what you mean about painting the wall being better to fit, the fixed screen will basically take up identical space as your painted surface, but will be a hell of alot better. The ones i linked to are mostly made here in Australia, and come in 5" steps.

Here is mine:

If you paint, you want it as dead smooth as posible, and use a sponge roller. Three coats, long even strokes past the edges, then pain your boarder using "Black Orbit" which is a British Paints colour. For the white, just use the whitest paint you can find a card for in the paint shop, and go about 10% gloss. Dont buy anything special, youd be better off with a proper fixed screen.

dokworm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, I always wanted a G70, and my XG recently died. If you hear of any more going, drop me a line Smile
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix your XG, its every but the equal of a G70 with better convergence.

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:

From what I've heard, the XG does have an awesome convergence system, and while it does sound like it's much more tweakable than the G70, the G70 is still very good. Not as much point, but with a good setup, you won't need any more. I always had really excellent convergence on my G70. It was essentially perfect and better than my JVC RS45, in fact. Evil or Very Mad The only thing I couldn't ever get dialed out was the tiniest bit of gull-wing distortion, but most people would never have even known it was there, and I figured that could have been my machine, my particular installation, or even my custom-fabbed steel mount with some magnetism on it.

Cheers,
SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
draganm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanius wrote:
Does anyone have experience with high gain paints.. ?
you want Ultra White in Satin, if you go with gloss you will get some pretty bad hot spots and color shifting

jordanius wrote:
I've got and old DVDO iscan HD but it's stuck in DVI land and the interface is awful. Any thoughts on the best bang for buck ?
Unless something has come along since last i looked, a new scaler with HDMI is approx. $1K, check the products page here. So a DVI to HDMI adapter cable might be OK, especially since you don't need 1080P72hz on the G70.

ecrabb wrote:
The only thing I couldn't ever get dialed out was the tiniest bit of gull-wing distortion, but most people would never have even known it was there, and I figured that could have been my machine, my particular installation, or even my custom-fabbed steel mount with some magnetism on it.

Cheers,
SC
All G70's do this
View user's photo album (2 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
CasetheCorvetteman wrote:

From what I've heard, the XG does have an awesome convergence system, and while it does sound like it's much more tweakable than the G70, the G70 is still very good. Not as much point, but with a good setup, you won't need any more. I always had really excellent convergence on my G70. It was essentially perfect and better than my JVC RS45, in fact. Evil or Very Mad The only thing I couldn't ever get dialed out was the tiniest bit of gull-wing distortion, but most people would never have even known it was there, and I figured that could have been my machine, my particular installation, or even my custom-fabbed steel mount with some magnetism on it.

Cheers,
SC

Yeah mate i doubt there would be anything worth while in it if he uses a screen, but on a flat painted wall it could be an issue. As flat as my wall is, i couldnt get the CineMAX to line up everywhere perfectly, and that was due to that limited adjustment it has and the wall's slightly uneven surface. That was partly what promted me to buy the screen.

I will go up and have a crack with Aussie_Al's G70 in the next few days, he has set it up on his kitchen bench so i will see how it goes. Removal of that gullwing distortion is very easy on the XG, there is a number of settings for it.

madxr600

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: sony projector Reply with quote

Hi have you still got the sony projector to give away I will give it a good home
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to send him a PM, that way he will see it quicker Wink

madxr600

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do
jordanius

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey madxr600, drop me a line if you are keen on the 1252qm. jordanontour@hotmail.com.

Cheers.
jordanius

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Case, As someone from Aus do you know anything about the Optiwerx line of Projector Screens. This seems like an absolute steal at 275 bucks/1.3 gain but it's impossible to find out any information on the brand. Other concern too is that 155" might be pushing the G70 a bit.

http://www.mytopia.com.au/p/155-fixed-hd-projector-screen/SCR-155F
jordanius

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I found them on ebay. 229$ AUD. There must be a catch..
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: