Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Looking for Retro Data information

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGIforever

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for Retro Data information Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently acquired a couple of Retro RP sets and I'm trying to find som information about them.
A search in this forum gave some answers, but RP sets don't seem to be that common.
So here comes a bunch of questions.

The PJ's are from around 1996-1998 and I found these labels on them.

Retro Data 708 OEM with HD-214 lenses
RD801s OEM with HD-114Q lenses
Retroblock D808s with HD-214 lenses

Are the Retro capabilities the same as their Barco counterparts with the same modelnumber?
For example Retro Data 708 = Barco Data 708 in terms of bandwidth, resolution etc.

Are boards interchangeable between a Retro and a Barco? (I'm a bit lazy here, I could check
some part numbers myself Wink)

Some of have stickers with angles written on them, like 0° and 6°, so the tubes/lenses might
be tilted for some special setup. I guess is possible to undo if needed.

I read the "All about lenses" thread but there was not much information on these lenses.
I suppose all lenses are for short throw distances, or can they be used for a larger front screen?
It seems like they might work up to 100" screenwidth, but I'm not sure.
The lenses don't have corner focus knob. Will that be noticable the larger the screen is?
I read somewhere that maybe the 'Q' means corner focus via a screwdriver or something.

Are all lenses LC? The RD801s has a small hose at each lens and one hose had a hole in it and
leaked cooling (I guess). Is it easy to replace, refill this?

That was all (for now Smile)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly the answers to your questions are: YES. Smile

All the tubes are LC, and yes, glycol leaking is common. I blew up my first retro 808s chassis because of that. Smile

I don`t think you can FP with these sets due to the limitation of the lenses. you`d have to try it.

Some of the boards will not swap. The retros all have audio circuits, and I had one customer whose retro 708 had all sorts of mods on it. I sent him some 708 boards, but there were compatibility issues that we couldn`t resolve. I have no retro service manuals either, so I don`t know what he ever did with his set.

I still use my own Retro G808s with 49,000 hours on it. (second chassis, the first one literally exploded. Smile Original tubes, glycol flushed once to get rid of fungus.
SGIforever

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Curt,

I was as I thought/hoped. Then at least menus etc is the same in the manuals, even though the setup/installation is not.

I have started the 708s and the config is changed to front/table placement. I projected an image on a white
door at about 1.5m (5 feet). So at least it is possible. How I good it is I'm not sure yet, I haven't set it up properly.

Curt Palme wrote:
I still use my own Retro G808s with 49,000 hours on it. (second chassis, the first one literally exploded. Smile Original tubes, glycol flushed once to get rid of fungus.

RP's seem to have a lot of hours on them. Don't know if my tubes are original (hope not) but I was a bit surprised to see this.
That is almost 6 years, 24/7. I think they all came from some sort of controlroom. I'm curious to find out about the others.

BD708s_RUNTIME.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.19 KB
 Viewed:  2874 Time(s)

BD708s_RUNTIME.jpg

Last edited by SGIforever on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I'll start leaving mine on 24/7 to catch up! Smile

Mine are definitely the original tubes. I run both contrast and brightness well under 50, and tube emission is perfect. I pulled out the tubes in January, only the green has the slightest of 4:3 wear.
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you in Sweden,

the HD114 are low res - the Hd117-12 are the direct upgrade high rez small screen lens (max inofficial width about 2,6 meters, 1,8 meters official)
the big screen lens for HD114/117 is the rare Hd117-24, also high rez (2 to 6 meters).

The big screen lens swap for the HD214 is the HD215 - but both suck. So get C-Elements from the HD117 and then lenses as upgrade for 214/215.

Regards from Munich

Marc
noos@xp37+

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot about the other questions:

Yes, with little work these are very very very fine "LC" front projectors!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: