Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Blend or stack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Blend or stack Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys I am in the works of getting a second marquee and was thinking of either doing a blend or stack with a larger screen

So I want feedback which is better

I am leaning towards a blend

Either way I think i will need a bigger screen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack. Unless you want to disappear off the face of the earth from your friends and family Wink

Just saying

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

Marquee High Performance Bellows now shipping!!
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement
Marquee C-element and Bellow removal
View user's photo album (1 photos)
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
Stack. Unless you want to disappear off the face of the earth from your friends and family Wink

Just saying

Ha ha funny Nash

Really I am serious

Is a blend a lot harder to do then a stack

I am already spending a lot of time in the theater cave as is(though have been out some since it has warmed up)

I may try it either way but I am still leaning towards a blend setup

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes much much harder.

I had a stack set up in a few hours. I am still working on the blend 3 years later.

Until some VP company makes a VP that can do gamma, color, and greyscale correction at 21 points in the blend zone as well as over the entire picture there will always be a visible blend zone somewhere . I just got it as good as I can and watch it as is.

You need a lot of hardware, time and money to do a blend.

Nashou

Nashou

"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the Democrats believe every day is April 15." --- President Reagan

One Smart Dog!!!

the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashou66 wrote:
yes much much harder.

I had a stack set up in a few hours. I am still working on the blend 3 years later.

Until some VP company makes a VP that can do gamma, color, and greyscale correction at 21 points in the blend zone as well as over the entire picture there will always be a visible blend zone somewhere . I just got it as good as I can and watch it as is.

You need a lot of hardware, time and money to do a blend.

Nashou

Nashou

If I can tear into pcs day in and day out I think I can tackle it

Shoot me a list of what I would need to do both and I will go from there

I did try a stack with two digital projectors and other then being brighter it didn't impress me much now a larger screen and image would

I am already in the works of getting a second marquee so till my mom is fully back to her normal self I will have plenty of time to mess with it

It may not be right away(due to car restoration) but I have already been asked by some in my family if I ever thought of going with a bigger screen

Its go big or go home Smile

I am going to setup my dwin in our living room once I get the ok till my mom is fully back to normal(she is slowly recovering but can get around though stairs are sometime a challenge for her)

Even she has asked me if I have thought of getting a bigger screen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.
May your mum get better soon, bigE.
One question: are you going 3D or is it just the more light and the bigger screen you want?
I'm planning a stack with two 8500U, too.
But I'm planning 3D.

Regards, Julian

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschaeikaei wrote:
Hi guys.
May your mum get better soon, bigE.
One question: are you going 3D or is it just the more light and the bigger screen you want?
I'm planning a stack with two 8500U, too.
But I'm planning 3D.

Regards, Julian

3d is on the table so a stack ain't out of the equation but haveing a super large screen would be great for 3d

My equipment is already 3d ready

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stack the blend Cool

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElTopo wrote:
Stack the blend Cool

In order to do that I would need two more marquees

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

Side stacking tests the limits of your geometry adjustments, especially H linearity correction. Figure ten feet minimum screen width until proven otherwise with your model projectors.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Guys

Side stacking tests the limits of your geometry adjustments, especially H linearity correction. Figure ten feet minimum screen width until proven otherwise with your model projectors.

Huh??

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:
Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Guys

Huh??

OK

Take One of your projectors and move it 18" sideways off center, then see if you can square it up on your screen with good linearity
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
the big E wrote:
Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Guys

Huh??

OK

Take One of your projectors and move it 18" sideways off center, then see if you can square it up on your screen with good linearity

Got it

If I do a stack it won't be a side by side setup (will only be setting them up if doing a blend)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be committed if you attempt a blend. The time involved let alone the cost is ridiculous and at the end of the day you'll have a blend zone.

Prior to even selecting the blend hardware (TV One, Analog Way, etc.) you'll need two Ultra's with HFQ900 lenses and brand new tubes (since the orientation will be 4:3 rather than 16:9). The cost for just those parts will be $4-5K and then you'll have to deal with the Marquee's banding during set-up...loads of fun Rolling Eyes

The advantage of a blend is the lower bandwidth with the hope that someday you MIGHT be able to resolve some form of Ultra HD. Do the stack, save loads of time/money and enjoy the results immediately.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbmeyer13 wrote:
You should be committed if you attempt a blend. The time involved let alone the cost is ridiculous and at the end of the day you'll have a blend zone.

Prior to even selecting the blend hardware (TV One, Analog Way, etc.) you'll need two Ultra's with HFQ900 lenses and brand new tubes (since the orientation will be 4:3 rather than 16:9). The cost for just those parts will be $4-5K and then you'll have to deal with the Marquee's banding during set-up...loads of fun Rolling Eyes

The advantage of a blend is the lower bandwidth with the hope that someday you MIGHT be able to resolve some form of Ultra HD. Do the stack, save loads of time/money and enjoy the results immediately.

Well given I like to future proof my equipment I can see attempting the blend(likely before 4k movies hit the market)the only thing I have that is 4k movie ready is my ps4

I may try the stack before I do the blend but my current marquee has mint tubes and has seen light use since

Comverting it to a ultra wouldn't be hard to do(its just finding the needed parts as my current set is ultra ready)

The second marquee I am in the works of getting will need 9inch tubes before I do either anyway

I would try it with a computer as the source before I buy any equipment

I wouldn't be able to work on it full time as I do have a business to run(pc repair) but once I get it done it would be awesome

If you want to commet someone get Nash as he is the one who had to upload pics of his setup back of this Smile

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the big E wrote:
jbmeyer13 wrote:

Well given I like to future proof my equipment I can see attempting the blend(likely before 4k movies hit the market)the only thing I have that is 4k movie ready is my ps4

I may try the stack before I do the blend but my current marquee has mint tubes and has seen light use since

Comverting it to a ultra wouldn't be hard to do(its just finding the needed parts as my current set is ultra ready)

The second marquee I am in the works of getting will need 9inch tubes before I do either anyway

I would try it with a computer as the source before I buy any equipment

I wouldn't be able to work on it full time as I do have a business to run(pc repair) but once I get it done it would be awesome

If you want to commet someone get Nash as he is the one who had to upload pics of his setup back of this Smile

You have been warned...LOL

I've worked on Nash's blend so I have a sense of what's involved. He was well on his way to the asylum...

You will need two sets of HFQ900 lenses in order to get optimal focus at the edges of the image (which is center of the screen for a blend) which sell for $750-1000/set. So even if your current tubes are mint you'll still need a second set plus both sets of lenses. Better start saving your nickels and dimes.

To each his own; if you love CRT and are not super critical about the image quality then a blend might work for you.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know but it would be fun for me

I still have to get the second marquee first Smile before I can do either setup

I have done a blend with two digital projectors and it was pretty cool but both projectors wasn't matched so it sucked on one side of the image

Will update more when I get the other marquee

I have always liked crt over digital anyway(for many resions)

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So really what you were searching for was for validation on doing a blend, because that is what you were going to do anyway. Wink

Just about everyone has said that doing a blend is crazy and now Nash is joining in. I know Craig discourages any of his customers from considering it. Scott told me what a pain in the a$$ it is. IIRC he and some others spent days getting a blend ready for a demo and that was with digitals.
the big E

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
So really what you were searching for was for validation on doing a blend, because that is what you were going to do anyway. Wink

Just about everyone has said that doing a blend is crazy and now Nash is joining in. I know Craig discourages any of his customers from considering it. Scott told me what a pain in the a$$ it is. IIRC he and some others spent days getting a blend ready for a demo and that was with digitals.

Yep you hit the nail on the head Smile :p

I tried one with two digital projectors back of this and loved it(even though it was tricky to get right)

My marquee has the color correction board(will get one for the other unless it has it already) which I have read online that it helps with a blend setup

Doing either is nothing new to me just prefer the blend setup more Smile

If I had a list of needed equipment(minus the projectors)I think I can do it

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only blends that work extremely well are the Seod blends from what Curt told me. reason is those module they add tot he barcos allow for gamma correction IN the blend zone and 6 IRE values. No processor I know of does this. If there was one that did then a blend would be easy. But even if you had SEOS equipped Barcos they take the software and computers needed to run the added on hardware so SEOD barcos are useless for blending with out the computers and software,

Nashou

One Smart Dog!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: