Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Review: Greg Eisemann Barco 909 modifications
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Tjeerd, i can email you those patterns if you like.

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Tjeerd, i can email you those patterns if you like.

Yes please. I do not have a blu ray drive at the moment thanks to Apple Smile But I do have these test blu rays so I paid for the copyrights Wink

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Look into the hypnotic eye" Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time i get on my computer i will zip them up and post them over Wink

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more pics but with peaking off. 720p@72. The diagonal waves come from the iphone there is some interference at 72Hz with the iphone that scrolls over the screen.

I have no problem removing all my stuff to another thread!

Also had some problems with the moome. It seems I have to adjust the phase with the button if I make a nonstandard resolution. I could not get 800p the whole image was cut in two parts and darkened. I suspect it is shifted. Going back to standard everything was allright. But there is some trembling visible in these pictures as 720p@72 is at some edge where I tweaked it.

nopeak72.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  356.09 KB
 Viewed:  9216 Time(s)

nopeak72.jpg

nopeak72r.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  372.76 KB
 Viewed:  9216 Time(s)

nopeak72r.jpg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nicer, now there is just a hint of peaking on the red, and it dont seems like the extra peaking helps much anyway, other than just distort the image.

Now where did that new shaking noise come from.?

What pixel clock are you running here.? 90Mhz.?

Last edited by stridsvognen on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking it should be possible to get a 800p@42 because it is almost the same bandwidth as 720p@72. I read that using very small porches the flickering should be not visible?

Also I have to check why red is better. Changing the neckboards etc. It is possible!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
Looks nicer, now there is just a hint of peaking on the red, and it dont seems like the extra peaking helps much anyway, other than just distort the image.

Now where did that new shaking noise come from.?

What pixel clock are you running here.? 90Mhz.?

I will check on these numbers. I had a hard late night yesterday with trying to get Moome on non standard resolutions. The image was to small with very small porches so I made it the best I could by tweaking 5 pixels at a time in the porches. Took a long time and is not the right road Smile

I looked up the manual Moome says to adjust the phase with a button and store it in the memory.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
I was thinking it should be possible to get a 800p@42 because it is almost the same bandwidth as 720p@72. I read that using very small porches the flickering should be not visible?

Also I have to check why red is better. Changing the neckboards etc. It is possible!

I guess its normal that the colors dont behave the same, specialy when there is peaking in play, so when you dont have the bandwidth to resolve the signal, and its peaked up, it will behave different depending how you drive the tube, thats why i asked you to always run contrast from 0 and up to see how it comes out of black.

If you have a high real bandwidth who just need a bit of peaking, its possible to match the peaking to each color and get a close to perfect out of black, and keep the color balance all the way from 0-100IRE.

I prefer a bit of roleoff over a shifting color balance.

Try shoot a pic of all 3 tubes with 25-50-75-100% contrast, and lets see how it behave with no extra peaking.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stridsvognen wrote:
redfox001 wrote:

I guess its normal that the colors dont behave the same, specialy when there is peaking in play, so when you dont have the bandwidth to resolve the signal, and its peaked up, it will behave different depending how you drive the tube, thats why i asked you to always run contrast from 0 and up to see how it comes out of black.

If you have a high real bandwidth who just need a bit of peaking, its possible to match the peaking to each color and get a close to perfect out of black, and keep the color balance all the way from 0-100IRE.

Try shoot a pic of all 3 tubes with 25-50-75-100% contrast, and lets see how it behave with no extra peaking.

Ok that sounds good. In fact different drive on different tubes might be the reason. From the schematics I see Barco is doing some peaking on the driver where the 6 times amplification is happening. Now it happened to be so that on the Mike Parker modified board there is one resistor changed (in the feedback loop) and it might be that Mike did that on purpose. But these very little resistors show no trace of soldering and I am a little afraid to handle these small parts.

I don't have the equipment to do the peaking right but if I happen to find a bottle neck I will send the boards to someone that can doe the peaking tweaking Wink

Last edited by redfox001 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
stridsvognen wrote:
redfox001 wrote:

Ok that sounds good. In fact different drive on different tubes might be the reason. From the schematics I see Barco is doing some peaking on the driver where the 6 times amplification is happening. Now it happened to be so that on the Mike Parker modified board there is one resistor changed from 10k to 100k (in the feedback loop) or so and it might be that Mike did that on purpose. But these very little resistors show no trace of soldering and I am a little afraid to handle these small parts.

I don't have the equipment to do the peaking right but if I happen to find a bottle neck I will send the boards to someone that can doe the peaking tweaking Wink

My experience is that peaking need to be adjusted in the video chan your running, on the specifik tubes dac specifik resolution and so on, you cant just fine adjust peaking on some random setup.

And if you change resolution or maybe a neckboard you will need to adjust it again.

Thats 1 very good reason to start with a machine with a native high bandwidth, it will handle changes and different resolutions better.

What was the pixel clock of those 720P 72hz pics.?
gasser

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco:

Zien we een aantal goede screenshots? Het eindspel is als je geniet van de films.

Bedankt,
Wes
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shot 4 pics ilustrating the 1:1 with different contrast settings, you can see the vertical role off a bit at low level. 1080P 72hz 178Mhz
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now we know what to look for.

I tried 1920x800@48 and that looked very sharp on the Barco. I did not see flicker when in front of it but when looking through the corner of my eyes I did see it. Don't know if it bother me as the sharpness is great and the one on one is comparable with 720p@72. Movement is very smooth far the best I have seen so far. Only problem is that the Moome does not always send the right vertical sync signal on non standard resolutions and there is no way to fix it. What seems to work is starting in standard and switching later.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Ok now we know what to look for.

I tried 1920x800@48 and that looked very sharp on the Barco. I did not see flicker when in front of it but when looking through the corner of my eyes I did see it. Don't know if it bother me as the sharpness is great and the one on one is comparable with 720p@72. Movement is very smooth far the best I have seen so far. Only problem is that the Moome does not always send the right vertical sync signal on non standard resolutions and there is no way to fix it. What seems to work is starting in standard and switching later.

Can you try shoot 4 pics like the ones i posted with different contrast settings at the resolution you prefer, so we can see how hi resolution behaves out of black on a 909 ?

What pixel clock are you running ?
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I received the custom input port3 board from Moome to test. With stock Barco boards it preforms well, but the video chain is holding back the capabilities of the moome board. In combination with Eisemann modified boards it preforms much better and so far the best combination I've tried. One thing is clear as by side by side tests that the BW of the video chain is far higher with Eisemann boards, only his HDfury HDMI solution held it's BW capabilities back.

The pictures I took are from my test chassis which is not as sharp as my main unit. So don't look at my sharpness, it's not fine tuned on this projector.

I know that Greg Eisemann is working on new modifications and HDMI chip but I don't know if he will continue with it as the market for Barco mods is decreasing rapidly.

without peaking

You'll have to wait for movie screenshots until I have solved my Gamma and light output problem on my viewing unit.

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fransisco what pixel clock are you running at that shot.?
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that hdfury has a limited video dac like the external Moome. Might still be a great scaler. Does the hdfury have this one chip video dac? On the better boards there are three. I tried direct out from the external moome bypassing the buffer with the gamma but it got no better at 1080p. The specs say it has -3db at 90MHz, the bandwidth picture in the datasheet says enough.

But very nice one on one I see. I have an idea what that looks like combining it with the low noise internal solution.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redfox001 wrote:
Think that hdfury has a limited video dac like the external Moome. Might still be a great scaler. Does the hdfury have this one chip video dac? On the better boards there are three. I tried direct out from the external moome bypassing the buffer with the gamma but it got no better at 1080p. The specs say it has -3db at 90MHz, the bandwidth picture in the datasheet says enough.

But very nice one on one I see. I have an idea what that looks like combining it with the low noise internal solution.

I have 7 moome cards here, a old one with DVI input, for a Marquee, and a early SONY card with component and HDMI, and i never seen any of the moome cards do as bad a bandwidth as seen on the 909 screenshots, so i really think the focus is better put somewhere more important.

How will you know how your dac performs if you dont have a scope or a reference display you know can resolve the signal.?

When i have played with my G90 and the filtering on my Moome cards, all kind of weird stuff happens, i can filter it to do a perfect 1:1 even so the peaking dont show up, but only at hi level, it will totally cut out vertical low level.

Even playing with the power supply filtering changes the 1:1 on screen. The same card in the Marquee looks the same no matter how the power is filtered.

Its even possible the 909 will perform better with more filtering, it might stress out the analog chain feeding it to high bandwidth.

If you like i can test your moome EXT and post some pics, you just need to send it to me.

The Hdfury3 and 4 will also do any of those bandwidth you run at 720P or 800P, dont think any of the DAC have much problems under 100Mhz.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One confusion again. I say dac bandwidth 90 MHz that means pixel clock 180 MHz.

I just see in de datasheet of a dac that is likely the Moome ext that it is not flat till 1080p. My guess is they are allowed to call it 1080p if it has -3db at the required bandwidth.

I compare buffered an unbuffered of the moome ext v3 and see no difference at 1080p so unless the hf is the problem it more likely is that the high frequency buffer does not change the bandwidth. Not 100% certain yet untill I have a reference display or scope. I would expect the change because I have seen how a vga adapter does change the bandwidth on my barco. So together I think it is likely this Moome v3 ext is not so good but i could have the wrong datasheet and it could be that the hf noise is spoiling the outcome. Also if the display is perfect than of cause the Moome will only do a little to make it worse. I woudl say it would do a 0,5 db down on 1080p. Normally that would be a good number but for what we try to achieve a 0,1 db down is the max acceptable for the input. We can focus elsewhere but that 0,5 db is for ever lost.

You are right they all do a 720/800p 0,1db down. I think that because the vga and the moome look the same at these resolutions. It is at 1080p I see a sharp distinction. So I think the Moome has a steep slope around that frequency as the datasheet sugests too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19
Jump to: