Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Review: Greg Eisemann Barco 909 modifications
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Francisco wrote:
Source Dune HD Max > Crystalio vp-3300 > Eisemann HDMI input card.
Cable from Audioquest high speed.

Will try that tonight.

No idea if any of those will do it right. Maybe you can connect a BD player, and try the 720P 60 hz SMPTE pattern.. you need to start somewhere. Prefered different input cards, to see if it makes a difference.
CasetheCorvetteman

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a PC

RUNCO DTV991 LC ( NEC XG 852 LC ) 100" 4:3 screen, H/K AVR 5.1...
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do direct source to Eisemann internal HDMI:

- Dune HD max (it's a BD player)
- PS3
- HTPC with nvidia 9400 graphics card

Unfortunate i don't own a Lumagen Radiance XS or XE. I've been offered a Lumagen Radiance XE+ but I don't know if it's worth the money $$ Rolling Eyes

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC will likely best have a chance to show the difference.

Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some testing with lower resolutions to see were the roll off is.
Chain is as mentioned in my earlier post, will also try with direct source attached to it. Will also try a modified moome RGB2 board soon as well.
Also these tests are with Eisemann mods and modified neck board.

To be honest on this test pattern SMPTE I even see vertical lines darker then horizontal and this is 720p only ! (no peaking)
In actual picture or movie all looks very good, sharpness is sublime, no picture noise anymore tubes fosfor is also very fine, also a lot of depth in the picture. Im curious about a side by side test with a modded marquee to see what "this lack of BW" will show in actual picture.

some photo's 720p@60hz

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco wrote:
Chain is as mentioned in my earlier post, will also try with direct source attached to it. Will also try a modified moome RGB2 board soon as well.

To be honest on this test pattern SMPTE I even see vertical lines darker then horizontal and this is 720p only ! (no peaking)
In actual picture or movie all looks very good, sharpness is sublime, no picture noise anymore tubes fosfor is also very fine, also a lot of depth in the picture. Im curious about a side by side test with a modded marquee to see what "this lack of BW" will show in actual picture.

some photo's 720p@60hz

What pixel clock are you running..? around 75Mhz ill guess.?

Can you try run 720P 50hz.?
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try run the Croma Multiburst at 1080P, it do more or less the same as the Croma zone plate, its just much easier to see whats going on.

It tells you how well you convert color space, and how well you resolve the colors.

It looks like this, and can be found on the Spears & Munsil Blu Ray.
wwm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDMI input panel I also use Greg transformation.
jbmeyer13

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco wrote:

some photo's 720p@60hz

I mentioned in a different thread about the fact that you have to pick a resolution and then maximize all settings for that. I'm not familiar with the 909's memory and whether or not astig is global or can be adjusted for multiple memory settings.

I found that when I dropped from 1080p/60 to 800p/72 (the latter using less BW) I had a tad softer image on the left side when viewing a test pattern. This was not noticeable while viewing content but validates that resolving multiple resolutions equally well not just about BW/peaking roll off.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, the astig on them can be electrically adjusted for every input i think, id have to have another look.

Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can change elec. astig on every source specific. I do know that Barco remembers the memory block that comes closest to the new resolution. Same as copy block function. Most of the time elec. astig is spot on, on the new resolution.

@strids here are some pictures of 720p@50hz, I can keep going lower but it doesn't change it still behaves the same.

Al taken with Iphone5 so don't judge on noise and grain.
720p@50hz
Green

I didn't do convergence so this pictures is actually useless

1080p@60hz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the croma multiburst also taken running 720P ?

You need to ask Greg if he cant get the bandwidth up to at least 75-100Mhz

Then you might benefit from using a bit of peaking.

I doubt that the bandwidth limitation running 720P 50Hz is in the projector, ill guess that the HDMI input has a problem.

Do you have a video processor you can run RGBHV out of, one who have a confirmed 165Mhz analog bandwidth, then you might try that, to find out where the biggest limitation is.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francisco,
I wouldn't worry about doing all three colors at the same time. It really is a waste of time. Also, if you are testing bandwidth with a one/one pattern, then the pattern should be in the upper left hand corner.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my other thread about the new CineMax I posted some pictures from my displayport to VGA cable with 1,5 meter VGA breakout on port 4 with combined sync.

I found that the sharpness was much improved compared to the Moome v3 internal on port 3.

So I must say I agree with Case who compared a Moome v3 external with a VGA solution that the VGA solutions can be better.

1080p@60

vgabw3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  308.04 KB
 Viewed:  6457 Time(s)

vgabw3.jpg

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill guess the Moome ext. V3 is close in performance to the SONY V3 card, and if so it has less bandwidth than whetever else you can find out there.

Lets hope moome gets this fixed soon.

Hope that everyone who have this experience with the cards will send moome some feedback, so he know where to focus.
stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
Francisco,
I wouldn't worry about doing all three colors at the same time. It really is a waste of time. Also, if you are testing bandwidth with a one/one pattern, then the pattern should be in the upper left hand corner.

Are you not confusing bandwidth with focus.?

If you can resolve the 1:1 somewhere on the screen you know that the video chain has the speed, then the rest is setup related, not bandwidth.

So for a bandwidth evaluation the center screen is fine, as you can check it out before you get all your setup nailed 100% perfect.
Francisco

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@strids, yess multiburst was also taken in 720p. I found that limitations on BW are not entirely within the Barco as Redfox and Case also proved. I have done some testing with different custom made HDMI input boards and found that 1:1 attenuation is far better, not as good as the Marquee but certainly comparable with Sony G90 judged and compared by our Iphone pictures.
This was without the Eisemann modifications, so original 800mhz video chain of barco. I'm talking to Greg to see if we can combine things, best input board with eisemann's modifications on video chain.

What I clearly can see is when I compare original boards with greg's that sharpness and picture noise are far less than with the modified boards. But I think the HD fury is not holding the max BW, and limiting the video chain too much.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its important to have plenty of bandwidth headroom in the HDMI to analog converter, so what limitations you have only comes from the CRT machine.

As you know i had some problems with the moome card for the G90, but i think that if you can find one of the older V2 ext moome cards with the right filtering, i guess it will kick anything else in the ass.

I dont know how those who make converters test, but it seems that in many cases its just tested that there is a picture on the analog side, not much attention to the actual quality of the analog signal.

From what pictures i have seen from your 909 and others, and my experience with the G90 im not sure they have much difference in bandwidth performance, i dont see any peaking in your pictures, cant say how much peaking there is in the 909 video chain, but i find it important to keep the peaking at a point where it dont show visible overshoot. I cant make that happen on a standard G90.

Im exited to see how far you can tweak this 909. maybe you can also add a bit info about what kind of money it takes to get there.
redfox001

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just green 1080p@60 because Case asked.

vgabw4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  300.59 KB
 Viewed:  6359 Time(s)

vgabw4.jpg

stridsvognen

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you run 138Mhz, thats worth to mention, as most will expect 148Mhz or more.

Try do as Francisco did, run the HD basic 720P SMPTE pattern and see if you can resolve that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 10 of 19
Jump to: